Two Good Training Weekends

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, August 16, 2011, 03:37:26 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Summary of ES Training
Birmingham Alabama Senior Squadron AL-034....July and August 2011

Scanner Course & Observer Course Classroom & Ground Training.

Two Training Missions conducted, 29-31 July, 12-14 August, resulting in 20 sorties (21.8 hours flown).

The two missions included 13 members of Sq 034 and 2 members of Sq 134, resulting in:
4 new Scanners qualified,
3 Observers renewed with several others still working on the Achievement,
5 Mission Pilots gaining experience and several  others getting experience who are working in that direction.

Experience was gained in planning and executing searches (including form 104), Safety briefings and flight releases.

Looking forward to more Squadron Level mini-Sarex's in the next year.

Training Trick(?):
  Working with up and coming Scanners and Observers, When the trainees arrived at the airport I told them the practice flights had been canceled, that there was a real event we had to deal with.  I told them that an out of the area pilot had called in and said his engine had failed and he was landing in a field but he did not know where he was.  I then told the trainees that our "new" mission was to find him.

We worked out a route search and a creeping line search and took off.

Unknown to the trainees, I had flown the area earlier and I knew where the private grass airfields/crop duster fields etc. were and which ones had airplanes parked outside. 

There was a real air of excitement when the trainees "made their finds".  We recovered to home base and de-briefed and they were told it was an exercise still. 

Now I need to think up some "tricks" for our next training weekend.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

JC004

WIWAC/CC, I had my Squadron Commander kidnap one of the cadets and hide him on a squadron-level SAREX once.  THAT was a great trick...   >:D

Never again did those cadets with the HORROR in their eyes fail to keep accountability for the cadets assigned to them.  That lesson lasted. 

Eclipse

Lessons well learned.

You have to wonder what "All present and accounted for..." means in their mind when they report that with two people missing.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

"Present [ahem] OR accounted for" was never used under my command if they didn't know where someone was.  They had to say how many persons absent.

It's a good lesson and a good trick to teach that lesson.  The adrenaline rush and the realization that they did not live up to what they were assigned and the roll they accepted hits hard and they learn.  It lasted until those cadets moved on from CAP.  I always observed them being especially careful about it afterwards and reenforcing it in others, passing on that important piece of leadership to the newer cadets.  All because my commander grabbed a cadet, hushed him, and hurried him away...   ;D   I let her pick a tiny cadet so it was easier.   8)

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2011, 11:04:44 PM
"Present [ahem] OR accounted for" was never used under my command if they didn't know where someone was.  They had to say how many persons absent.

I know that makes more sense, but rarely do cadets use it that way.  I hear a lot of "and / or" which always makes me cringe.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I always require my people to do things that make sense and make them STOP doing things that don't make any sense.