Emergency vehicle markings

Started by commando1, December 12, 2010, 01:32:14 AM

commando1

OK so we've all heard the debates about whether or not to have emergency lights/sirens on POV's. That is not what this thread is about. I bought a magnet from an on-line SAR distributor that says simply enough "Search & Rescue." I just wanted everyone to throw in their two cents worth about what y'all do to mark you vehicles en route to a mission.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

cap235629

wouldn't the big white van with "Civil Air Patrol" on the side be obvious enough?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RiverAux

Not sure we've talked about lights on personal owned vehicles, though the topic has come up a lot in relation to CAP-owned vehicles.

I used to have one of those CAP license plates on the front of my car, but that was just more to show my CAP affiliation.  Don't see any need for markings on vehicles used only to transport to base or squadron HQ. 

Now, if you're conducting the actual mission from a POV, a magnetic sign would come in handy. 

spacecommand

Our van has a "Search & Rescue" sign on the back, nothing big or fancy. 

I think the prior discussion was about having lights ON CAP vehicles instead of personal vehicles.

ELTHunter

I bought two of the large CAP emblems (blue circle with the three bladed prop and Civil Air Patrol across the bottom) and some magnetic sheet. Stick the emblem decal onto the sheet and cut out around it.  They work nicely on the doors of your POV.  I suppose you could do the same with the CAP shield.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

EMT-83

Quote from: spacecommand on December 12, 2010, 01:53:05 AM
Our van has a "Search & Rescue" sign on the back, nothing big or fancy. 

I think the prior discussion was about having lights ON CAP vehicles instead of personal vehicles.

CAPR 77-1?

commando1

Non Timebo Mala

caphornbuckle

Quote from: ELTHunter on December 12, 2010, 02:04:46 AM
I bought two of the large CAP emblems (blue circle with the three bladed prop and Civil Air Patrol across the bottom) and some magnetic sheet. Stick the emblem decal onto the sheet and cut out around it.  They work nicely on the doors of your POV.  I suppose you could do the same with the CAP shield.

I have the same decals for my POV although they don't get used much anymore.

I haven't checked the new regulation 77-1 yet but I believe the triangle prop decal is the only one allowed for POV's (hense the CAP NASCAR car only had this).
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

abdsp51

Check with your wing ES officer and your state vehicle code, that will give you the best information.  Your state vehicle laws will give the best information as to what constitutes an emergency vehicle.

Lord of the North

CAPR 900-2, CIVIL AIR PATROL SEAL, EMBLEM AND FLAG ETIQUETTE, states that shown below.

3d. The CAP emblem may generally be used on (also see Table 1):

2) Member–owned vehicles used for CAP business upon written approval of the wing or region commander as appropriate. Such approval will be granted only where its use would reflect favorably upon CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on December 12, 2010, 06:24:58 AM
CAPR 900-2, CIVIL AIR PATROL SEAL, EMBLEM AND FLAG ETIQUETTE, states that shown below.

3d. The CAP emblem may generally be used on (also see Table 1):

2) Member–owned vehicles used for CAP business upon written approval of the wing or region commander as appropriate. Such approval will be granted only where its use would reflect favorably upon CAP.

i.e. not if your mom's car looks like this...

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

BillB

One way to get "free" magnetic material is talk to candidates after an election. The magnetic signs they may have for cars are ideal to mount the CAP emblem on for POV. They can be cut to the shape of the emblem for mounting. But don't forget it does take Wing CC approval to mount these on a POV.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

Some years ago, in the spirit of those magnets that started out at the CAP Bookstore, I designed a magnet with the CAP emblem and three lines that said "Official Business - Civil Air Patrol - US Air Force Auxiliary"  A sign maker produced them for free - just high-performance vinyl on a big magnet.  A bunch of those were produced (including some with the unit name).

Eclipse

My wing had the MAJCOM printed on mag signs - simple, professional, approved, done.

FYI - the PC-printable sheets last about three blocks...

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2010, 04:59:29 PM
My wing had the MAJCOM printed on mag signs - simple, professional, approved, done.

Not for use on POV's
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on December 12, 2010, 05:28:39 PM

Not for use on POV's

You must have missed the word "approved", above.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2010, 05:30:43 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on December 12, 2010, 05:28:39 PM

Not for use on POV's

You must have missed the word "approved", above.

By a NHQ approved supplement that authorizes a violation of 77-1? I would love to see that!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

a2capt

I have the blue/silver rectangular ones that say "official business" "Civil Air Patrol" on them.

If I park someplace and setup a table/post I'll place the round CAP one on something metal as well, or lean it on the glass so it's visible as to why we are "there".

commando1

I kinda skipped around the whole issue by the "Search & Rescue" magnet instead of "Civil Air Patrol." When you are going down the road to a mission and someone sees a random vehicle with "Civil Air Patrol" on it what do they think? "Oh that's the Air Force Auxiliary! Cool!" Or is it "What in the heck is that?" Honestly...
Non Timebo Mala