Why don't we publisize our saves more?

Started by RiverAux, August 21, 2010, 01:15:47 PM

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
JC004
We are agreed about landing on a message and running it forever.

The problem with changing insignias, uniforms, emblems, and message lines is: you always start from scratch and move forward in incremental steps. Awareness needs to be built incrementally. We don't have enough advertising to support multiple and varied awareness campaigns.

So this is not only a call to save money, but to build awareness over time. Come up with 1 thing and don't change it forever. Quit messing with it. Don't touch it. Don't add to it. Don't embellish it. Don't touch it. It is both expensive and it is bad brand management.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

JC004

How come this seems to occur to just about everyone including Cadet Airmen, but doesn't seem to occur to those who make it happen?  Do you know how many 13 year old cadets have intelligent arguments over why the Triangle Thingy and changing slogans (among other things) shouldn't be that way?  I've talked to quite a lot of them since starting the Triangle Thingy threads.

I've even had them articulate some very good marketing/branding ideas that were far superior to those I've heard coming from up top for many years (this is ongoing as you say, not just a creation of a current or even TP regime). 

Case in point:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10555.msg205955#msg205955

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on August 22, 2010, 11:29:25 PM
Which is why I suggested putting some of the onus on the paid public affairs staff at NHQ.
And who writes up the local details to send to NHQ?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Given the rarity of save events in CAP life, it should not be any great hardship for NHQ PA to solicit the relevant details from AFRCC or the Wing and write at least a basic description of the event lacking any input from the Wings.   A phone call would give them most of what they would need.  Not enough for a Volunteer feature article but enough to ensure proper recognition is given.

RiverAux

While this story is about the fire service at the local level, it shows just how important it is to take advantage of every positive public affairs opportunity you can.    http://www.firefighternation.com/profiles/blogs/whos-telling-your-story-use

I bet if they had a section on VolunteerNow labeled "2010-2011 Saves" that had at least a one or two sentence description of the event (or an actual article for those few that a MIO actually works on), that it would be the most popular part of the page.  I just don't understand why this failure is allowed to continue.