USCGAux Pilots

Started by Blackhawk, September 20, 2013, 03:43:23 AM

PA Guy

You might want to check out this link  http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg3/cg3pcx/publications/comdtinst/default.asp  and scroll down to the Aviation Manuals these discuss Aux Air training and reimbursement.  It is all open source.

Blackhawk

Thanks all for your input!

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2013, 01:43:00 AM
Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 21, 2013, 12:53:58 AMMy personal information and feelings are irrelevant.  I posted a simple question, which should be have been simple enough to answer, just as Mike & RiverAux did.  I don't see the need for you to jump on Eclipse's wagon after the forum got back on track.  Do you have experiences related to the original question that was posted that you would like to share?

This isn't Google - just because you wander in here doesn't mean anyone is required to provide information, nor are we precluded from
asking why you're asking, especially when you consider the nature and vagaries of the questions.

Being non-anonymous when asking those types of questions wouldn't hurt, either.

Speaking of canning the 'tude.... 

Mike - I can't offer much in the way of explanation.  I've investigated joining the Aux with the idea of flying for them.  AuxAir is a very seperate group; in the surrounding 50 miles/5-6 flotillas, there was one person identified to me who flew air missions.  My understanding from talking is that missions tend to be more SAR related and tend to be (obviously) focused on boating.  As you're probably aware, the USCG incorpates CG Aux into their direct missions so an AuxAir mission is pretty much whatever a USCG mission would be.  They also consider Aux members to be actual members of the CG.  The missions are more directly tied to USCG operations, including interfacing with CG controllers.  I did note that it takes a longer time to get into a full pilot role in the CG and I would associate that with a higher level of professionalism in their pilots.  That might be wrong.

I think there is something in that model that the Air Force could use to related to CAP better, but the first step would be that the Air Force would have to expand their mission parameters to include the things that we could do.  It's a nice thought, but I believe the Air Force is more directly tied to 1) space, 2) air superiority and 3) cyberspace defense, none of which are areas that CAP can effectively offer much assistance.

Chaplaindon

I'm a retired CAP member and a current CGAUX member. Currently I'm in a surface patrol flotilla but prior to moving to my current location (I'm a United Methodist clergy person and as such I move fairly regularly) I was a member of an Air Flotilla at AIRSTA Houston at EFD. In fact I was part of starting one of the first Air Flotillas in the CGAUX back in the 90's. I would be happy to visit with you regarding AUXAIR (in GENERAL)

Please note, however, that there is more than OPSEC involved. All of the AUXAIR program is restricted to security clearance approved Auxies, so there are few specifics I can share. I can share some generalities.

You might want to contact the USCG for clearance first, then contact one of the Air Flotillas. There are two (2) in Houston, alone. With "gold-side" approval, I'm sure you can gleen all the info you desire.

It is a neat program. Also, I can attest to the overall closeness and support of the AUX from the USCG. It is night and day different from the relationship and working relationship between CAP and the USAF. this is reflected in the flying program.

Private message me for more, however, again, please note that I (like all AUXAIR members) I'm constrained by issues of security and classification, which I won't breach.

Shalom.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Blackhawk

Майор Хаткевич

Saw a car today. Plate : cg aux 9. Plate cover: I'd rather be flying.

Chaplaindon

This reply was emailed to me by a CGAUX aviator in reply to HeadHunter's questions:

"Since I can't post on CAPtalk I figured that I would directly send you a note." 

"Please tell "headhunter6" that the flotilla 081-06-12 website is <http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=081-06-12> there is also a lot of information about the air operations at <http://www.rdept.wow.uscgaux.info./content.php?unit=R-DEPT&category=divisions>.  There is nothing at either site that is sensitive."

"If he wants, he can contact me directly and, within OPSsec limitations, I will be happy to talk to him." 

"However, I have 13 years of experience with the Aux and almost no experience with CAP."

His email addy is tedyson@swbell.net.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

starshippe

. . i flew for the uscgaux for about ten years.

. . i found the training afforded by the cg to the aux was excellent. i ended up using quite a bit of their material for cap training, which they freely loaned from a station in mobile, i believe. they sent me boxes of vhs tapes. (it was a while back....) i would send them back, and they would send more. very good stuff on crm, etc.

. . i flew security for the uscgaux during the olympic sailing event in savannah. short of the week i spent in mobile with cap on deepwater horizon, it was the most rewarding time i have spent in volunteer work. i flew out of air station savannah, and felt like an integral part of the coast guard olympic operations.

. . i did not get any elt missions with the aux. i know that elts were out there, i have found over a hundred working with the cap. many of them were marine epirbs. my first cap save was a wrecked sailboat. basically i don't think they had a good feel for just what their aux air assets were good at. so, i ended up getting calls for air taxi service. then, it became more difficult to get "orders," and when they wanted to know all of my financial information, and i did not want to give it, we agreed that it was time for me to retire from the aux.

. . so, i recommend that if u r joining the aux with sar in mind, a meeting with their local admin to familiarize them with ur capabilities might be time well spent.

good luck,
bill