Forest fire prevention

Started by Condor1, February 02, 2012, 11:53:30 PM

Condor1

I'm a new SM and was wondering how does one go about flying to look out for forest fires. Any ideas?

RiverAux

Only a few states do that.  If yours is one of them, the procedures are going to be unique to your state.  First, start off with your squadron commander to see what opportunities there are. 

EMT-83

Maine did have a very active program. If it's still in effect, there should be plenty of opportunity to fly.

Talk to your squadron commander!

a2capt

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

What?! When did this happen! Why wasn't I informed!?!?!?

-----

First you need to get a Mission Pilot rating. Before anything else.
Second, if your state even has the mission, and it sounds like it's a lot of "flying around" .. getting on the roster is probably going to be .. competitive. :)

Patterson

EMT-83

MS rating is pretty easy to achieve, and NER currently has training funds available.

In the past, MEWG had a lot of flying hours on this mission. With an ongoing funded mission like this, there is an ongoing need for air crews.

So, for a new member interested in flying this type of mission, he is quite possibly in the right place at the right time.

a2capt

As a MS, yes- my first reaction to the post is the asking being done as a new SM, with (typically) new private pilot rating .. wanting to pilot the missions.

That's not so easy, right off.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 03, 2012, 02:27:42 PM
MS rating is pretty easy to achieve, and NER currently has training funds available.

In the past, MEWG had a lot of flying hours on this mission. With an ongoing funded mission like this, there is an ongoing need for air crews.

So, for a new member interested in flying this type of mission, he is quite possibly in the right place at the right time.
My understanding that in NER both NH & ME wings are involved in this patrol.  I also understand that the missions can be quite turbulent for the aircraft and crew, so you need to be able to be able to withstand those flying conditions.  Generally they were flying in the afternoons.    ME wing had appropriate direct radio communications with the forest fire district they were flying in to assist in pinpointing response.  Not sure on NH.   There also was some litigation against the state in ME by the civilian contractor that lost the contract -- but this didn't really involve CAP.

BTW may years ago when I was stationed at a military base in Michigan, there was a civilian contract aircraft that use to fly these observation mission over the various federal forests in the area.

I think there's opportunities in other states to do this.  Some still use fire towers in pinpointing the potential fire location.   This isn't a very difficult mission for CAP to do yet has a good potential for state recognition of CAP's capabilities :clap: :clap:
RM       

Condor1

Thanks everybody, great stuff.

sarmed1

FLWG has a very active mission too.... my old group there does/did daily patrol over the Eglin range during the peak fire season.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

stillamarine

Quote from: sarmed1 on February 04, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
FLWG has a very active mission too.... my old group there does/did daily patrol over the Eglin range during the peak fire season.

mk

Emerald Coast Senior Squadron flies fire patrol over Eglin Reservation 365 days a year weather permiting. During peak season they fly 2 a day.  I believe that someone came up with the numbers that they fly more hours then any other squadron.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Hardshell Clam

Back in the 70's when I was going to college, I worked two summers with the Forest Service as a firefighter II. (One year as a summer hire cutting fire lines and one as a contracted Asst. Engine Boss. I recall a CAP plane spotting for us and we were glad to have 'em!

gordo07

I agree talk with your CC, where I am, we still use fire towers and air attack for patrols. Also, Smokey didn't die in a fire, he was rescued from a fire in New Mexico as a orphaned bear cub with burnt paws, later to take residence in Washington DC, and at old age buried near where he was found in New Mexico. I'd appriciate a little less bittterness towards the bear.

RiverAux

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on February 05, 2012, 06:57:11 PM
Back in the 70's when I was going to college, I worked two summers with the Forest Service as a firefighter II. (One year as a summer hire cutting fire lines and one as a contracted Asst. Engine Boss. I recall a CAP plane spotting for us and we were glad to have 'em!
I wonder if the feds could even use CAP for fire spotting anymore as they've really made their aviation contracting program pretty complex from what I understand. 

gordo07

For the U.S. Forest Service, it's very difficult, I've looked into it locally, and was basically told no. There's pilot and aircraft requirements and carding, mx requirements, also I was informed about the "economic act" from the 1930s stating that a certain amount of things have to be contracted out to private operators, which probably charge 3x more than using CAP.

Flying Pig

To be USFS carded, yuor pilot would need 1500hrs, Commercial, instrument, and your aircraft must conform and be inspected by a USFS rep.  Our LE helicopters have every bell and whistle and the USFS wont card them because of a radio issue.  We are updating the radios to Technisonic TDFM 7300's.  Although I think P25 compatible is all that is required on the radio.  But, at least for us, each pilot had to be USFS carded. 

Like what is said above, the USFS owns very few aircraft actually.  And has very few pilots.  Most all of their assets are contracted to private operators. 

blackrain

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 16, 2012, 03:32:44 PM
To be USFS carded, yuor pilot would need 1500hrs, Commercial, instrument, and your aircraft must conform and be inspected by a USFS rep.  Our LE helicopters have every bell and whistle and the USFS wont card them because of a radio issue.  We are updating the radios to Technisonic TDFM 7300's.  Although I think P25 compatible is all that is required on the radio.  But, at least for us, each pilot had to be USFS carded. 

Like what is said above, the USFS owns very few aircraft actually.  And has very few pilots.  Most all of their assets are contracted to private operators.
Sounds a lot like the standard requirement (1500 hrs etc) for USFS pilots I've noticed on USA JOBS for those wanting to be hired as a GS employee pilot. I think it's classified as LE/firefighter position so that in effect has an age limit attached too. One more requirement as I recall is a certain amount of wildland firefighting experience.

That said I don't know why spotting fires would require all the jumping through hoops for other agencies including CAP. Once it's spotted hand off to the professionals to fight it. Of course requirements=control when it comes to who gets to play.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

yeah, like I said, I dont know if the USFS carding requirements apply to CAP or not.  But it seems like it applies to everyone else.