colleges/universities with an aviation program?

Started by SABRE17, September 22, 2010, 07:57:28 PM

Al Sayre

Here is something else to think about.  You can do 2 years at a community college, get your AA Degree, an A&P Ticket and a PPL for less than the 1st two years of general course work + a PPL at a school like Riddle will cost.  If you take the right courses for the AA, you can then transfer into an Aerospace Engineering curriculum at the 4 year school with a marketable skill that will make you a better Engineer.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

MSG Mac

After getting all this input start checking these schools out on the internet. Also check the various periodicals that rate colleges and universities by program. Once you've narrowed your field down, check the student ratings to see how students rate the college. Than visit the top 5 or 6.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CDCTF

It all depends on what you want to do, if your main objective is to be pilot then at least start your flight training at a local airport. The way I see it, if you get a bachelors in Aerospace Engineering and I mean legit ENGINEERING not this associates/bachelors stuff in aviation management you will have a tough decision to make. Either take a high paying job in the aerospace industry or trying to fight out against the thousands of other entry level pilots and if your lucky get a job at a regional airline making $30,000 a year.

So to summarize, if you just want to get your private license possibly with a instrument rating so that you can fly around on the weekends or fly with CAP then do it privately, you will save tons of money. A school like Ohio State has a great aviation as well as aerospace department and frankly even with out of state tuition you would still save money over Embry. As far as cost goes it's almost always cheaper to keep school and pilot training separate.

Climbnsink

Separate the two goals.  Get your flying wherever you can get the best deal, likewise get your education where you can get the best deal.  Mix them and you will almost certainly lose on both counts. 

SJFedor

Quote from: GroundHawg on September 25, 2010, 04:34:13 PM
My Alma Mater....

http://fly.eku.edu/

Never knew EKU had a flight program, too. I work w/ a few medics who did their paramedic out there. They just have everything!  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

GroundHawg

Im considering getting my Paramedic, seems like no departments are hiring unless you have it.