Approaches to Minimums

Started by simon, July 12, 2010, 07:07:13 AM

simon

It is interesting to me that CAP has a boatload of regulations and procedures over and above FAA requirements that are designed to make flights as safe as possible, yet as far as I know, allows pilots for fly to the FAA part 91 minimums with the basic 6 in 6 rule.

I flew a non precision approach to minimums this afternoon solo in a non CAP plane. The overcast was right at the minimum. No airport environment in sight. Went missed. Flew it again. Went missed again then returned home in relaxing VMC. It wasn't stressful because the flight was just for personal IMC proficiency and I never intended to land there.

Solo non precision IMC approaches hand flown in a round dial plane to minimums remind one that this a serious aspect to flying. CAP requires their pilots to be tested for VFR flight twice as often as regular pilots. But it doesn't require its pilots to maintain their self monitored currency for the far more difficult task of instrument approaches any more often than with non CAP pilots. I thought that interesting.

And on this subject, can a CAP pilot with an instrument add on go, say (Extreme example), 10 years with CAP ever retesting them on an approach? Now that WOULD be interesting, given that CAP rarely leaves anything to chance in terms of making sure people have done the required qualifications. Or would that be part of the Form 5?

SJFedor

Quote from: simon on July 12, 2010, 07:07:13 AM
It is interesting to me that CAP has a boatload of regulations and procedures over and above FAA requirements that are designed to make flights as safe as possible, yet as far as I know, allows pilots for fly to the FAA part 91 minimums with the basic 6 in 6 rule.

I flew a non precision approach to minimums this afternoon solo in a non CAP plane. The overcast was right at the minimum. No airport environment in sight. Went missed. Flew it again. Went missed again then returned home in relaxing VMC. It wasn't stressful because the flight was just for personal IMC proficiency and I never intended to land there.

Solo non precision IMC approaches hand flown in a round dial plane to minimums remind one that this a serious aspect to flying. CAP requires their pilots to be tested for VFR flight twice as often as regular pilots. But it doesn't require its pilots to maintain their self monitored currency for the far more difficult task of instrument approaches any more often than with non CAP pilots. I thought that interesting.

And on this subject, can a CAP pilot with an instrument add on go, say (Extreme example), 10 years with CAP ever retesting them on an approach? Now that WOULD be interesting, given that CAP rarely leaves anything to chance in terms of making sure people have done the required qualifications. Or would that be part of the Form 5?

Instrument pilots who wish to exercise those privilidges are required to do approaches during their annual checkride. They don't do all 6, but every time I've been on a ride, I've had to do usually 3, typically a VOR, GPS or WAAS, and ILS.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

simon

Okay, thanks for that information. That is a sensible validation of proficiency.