Main Menu

2013 Annual Conference

Started by NorCal21, June 16, 2013, 08:06:43 AM

NorCal21

Well it's about that time again. This year it's held in Denver. When I got the email I almost deleted it, but because I have family in the area I thought there might be an off change I may go. Well, I just got word this weekend that I'll be moving to the Denver area by the end of this week. So I have a couple questions.

1. Who's going?

2. Who's been to an annual conference before?

3. This does count as one of our conference requirements for leveling does it not?

4. Is it worth my time? By that I mean will I get something out of it as a general member of CAP?

SarDragon

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 08:06:43 AM
Well it's about that time again. This year it's held in Denver. When I got the email I almost deleted it, but because I have family in the area I thought there might be an off change I may go. Well, I just got word this weekend that I'll be moving to the Denver area by the end of this week. So I have a couple questions.

1. Who's going?
Sadly, not I. I've already maxed out this year's travel budget. I'm going to be lucky to get to wing conference.

Quote2. Who's been to an annual conference before?
I went to the one here in Sandy Eggo.

Quote3. This does count as one of our conference requirements for leveling does it not?
Indeed it does.

Quote4. Is it worth my time? By that I mean will I get something out of it as a general member of CAP?
I found it worthwhile, both educationally, and socially. It was a great opportunity to put faces with names.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

1. Don't think I'll be able to go this year
2. I've been to about 15 or 20
3. Yes counts for Conference attendance
4. I've found that the presentations are well worthwhile. You get the first notice of changes and updates to what's happening in CAP, You get to ask questions or present problems to HQ Staff. Lots of networking. When I want to my first few there were many Wing and Region social events, not so anymore.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

I'm thinking of a quick road trip in August, just to go, and come back. Though it will be just a couple weeks after I complete about 8,500 miles going from west to east, with a little switch back due to NCC being in the middle of my plans.

NorCal21

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 16, 2013, 02:37:42 PM

Holy crap on a cracker. How long have you been in CAP?

stillamarine

Seeing as they are annual I would say at least 15 to 20 years. :-)
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

MSG Mac

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 04:46:46 PM

[/quote

Senior since 1971, with a couple of breaks
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cap'n

I might go myself. Only about 45 minutes from where I live, but it all depends on my schedule.

Private Investigator

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 04:46:46 PM

Conferences is where you network. I enjoy them but if your CAP world is Petticoat Junction Squadron and nothing broader you are missing out, JMHO YMMV  8)

NorCal21

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 16, 2013, 10:43:07 PM

Senior since 1971, with a couple of breaks

Holy schnikes! Well good on you brother!

NorCal21

Quote from: Pomegranate on June 18, 2013, 07:20:13 AM
I might go myself. Only about 45 minutes from where I live, but it all depends on my schedule.

Where do you live? I just moved to Denver myself.

a2capt

I'm considering taking the 16 hour road trip just to go.. coming from Southern California, anyone want to go?

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on June 23, 2013, 04:57:32 AM
I'm considering taking the 16 hour road trip just to go.. coming from Southern California, anyone want to go?

I'd love to, but I think my travel budget is pretty well thrashed for this year. PM me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 08:06:43 AM
1. Who's going?

I live about an hour away so I'm going.  I signed up for the operations conference and communicators meetings in addition to the main conference. Formal dinner = no.

2. Who's been to an annual conference before?

First timer.

3. This does count as one of our conference requirements for leveling does it not?

Already answered by others.

4. Is it worth my time? By that I mean will I get something out of it as a general member of CAP?

I sure hope so! 

Welcome to Colorado!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."