Changing Civil Air Patrol to U.S. Civil Air Patrol

Started by RiverAux, March 03, 2007, 06:47:13 PM

Should we put "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on BDU name tapes, press releases, etc.?

Yes
28 (28%)
No
72 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 99

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on March 05, 2007, 06:55:47 PM
My main question is:  WHY are these items never on the agenda?   

The items likely to cause the most controversey never appear on the agenda before the NB meetings.  They just pop up during the meeting and get rail-roaded through into a vote.

What about giving the voting members of the NB time to think about the issues and not put them on the spot?  What about, for the better NB members, give them time to ask their CAP colleagues and subordinates what they think on certain issues? 

Are these items not thought-of in time to make the agenda, or were they not put on there for a reason?
Even the Air Force submits proposed changes for feedback from the force. This feedback is then used to consider the proposed item along with wear testing and the feasibility (financial) of the item.
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 05, 2007, 07:59:23 PM
Even the Air Force submits proposed changes for feedback from the force. This feedback is then used to consider the proposed item along with wear testing and the feasibility (financial) of the item.
You mean like due diligence or maybe just properly staffing an issue?

SarDragon

OK, back to the OT crapola for a sec or two - I have all the numbers nailed down through 49. The list is alphabetical, excluding AK, HI, and PR. If anyone knows their old numbers, we'll have it all. DCWG is officially National Capitol Wing, and fits in the list.

</OT>
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

LtCol Horning is in HI, he'd know that one I bet, you can PM him.

Is there support though for knocking off the BS & if we want to go at this one nationwide CAP thing then drop the state names & go by Wg numbers?

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on March 06, 2007, 03:00:39 AM
OK, back to the OT crapola for a sec or two - I have all the numbers nailed down through 49. The list is alphabetical, excluding AK, HI, and PR. If anyone knows their old numbers, we'll have it all. DCWG is officially National Capitol Wing, and fits in the list.

Alaska's old was 50. Was in a unit up there back in the '90's.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: DNall on March 06, 2007, 03:44:12 AM
Is there support though for knocking off the BS & if we want to go at this one nationwide CAP thing then drop the state names & go by Wg numbers?

I like the idea, but wouldn't that get somewhat confusing after a while?  (If you've got multiple units working together.)

shorning

Quote from: DNall on March 06, 2007, 03:44:12 AM
LtCol Horning is in HI, he'd know that one I bet, you can PM him.

Yes, Lt Col Horning is.  Dave knows where I am, and I have no doubt that he knows how to contact me.

ddelaney103

If this meant we could lose the flag patch, I'd be OK with that.  Problem is we'll be stuck with both.

shorning

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 06, 2007, 04:01:30 AM

Alaska's old was 50.

I find that hard to believe.  Their wing patch says "49". 

Edit:  Ugh...just looked at some documentation from the wing and it had "51XXX".  Dang odd-ball states.  Last in the Union!  Yea! :-\

DNall

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 06, 2007, 04:03:04 AM
I like the idea, but wouldn't that get somewhat confusing after a while?  (If you've got multiple units working together.)
I really don't care so much if the branch tape has US on it or not, it's the cost & hassle comppunded with not explaining why I have to tax my people once again.

If we accept the assumption that it's about tearing down state/wing barriers to build this vision of a nationwide CAP, which makes sense, then I really think going to numbered wings & mandating Wg patches off uniforms is the way to go versus incurring $200k on members just after we've bottomed out from a retention crisis.

It doesn't seem that hard to me, state the vision, ask for feedback & engage with membership & leadership to so they take ownership, sell the vision, make smart well thought out moves that people have some warning on.

RiverAux

By the way, I'm not sure that the 200K figure for replacing tapes is figured correctly.  I think that came out as 1 tape per person for everybody in CAP.  While you can figure at least one tape per cadet since most have BDUs, a sizable portion will probably have another on their field jacket. 

On the senior side I'd only estimate that 10-20% wear BDUs, so one tape for them, and again a certain percentage would have a second on their field jacket. 

Too tired to do the math.  Not sure if it would come out to more or less than 200K. 

However, on an individual basis it would probably cost me about $12 to buy the tapes and pay to have them sewn on. 

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: DNall on March 06, 2007, 04:43:43 AM
I really don't care so much if the branch tape has US on it or not, it's the cost & hassle comppunded with not explaining why I have to tax my people once again.

I was actually referring to the option of referring to wings by their numbers, rather than states.  Not the "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL" name tapes.

afgeo4

Quote from: DNall on March 05, 2007, 08:03:59 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on March 05, 2007, 07:59:23 PM
You mean like due diligence or maybe just properly staffing an issue?
Hey! Don't you get any crazy ideas!  >:D
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 06, 2007, 04:48:20 AM
I was actually referring to the option of referring to wings by their numbers, rather than states.  Not the "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL" name tapes.
Yeah what confusion? You'd still be in the same wing w/ the same people in units with the same names. Only dif would be the 42nd CAP Wing rather than Texas Wing. The only people that'll have a problem with it are the ones with a little too much state-pride, which the point of the policy is to break down those barriers.

NAYBOR

I personally can live with "US Civil Air Patrol".   I just wish the branch tapes were subdued, like state defense forces, ACA, USNSCC, etc. etc. do, and our rank and patches were subdued too, like the rest of 'em.

SAR-EMT1

US Civil Air PAtrol... gimmie a break!
If they subdue the tapes Id feel better.
If they would just allow USAF Aux OR USAF Auxiliary or US Air Force Aux (would that fit?) I'd feel the best.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 06, 2007, 08:24:42 AM
If they would just allow USAF Aux OR USAF Auxiliary or US Air Force Aux (would that fit?) I'd feel the best.

Heretic!

You speak Blasphemy!

Burn Him!
Another former CAP officer

A.Member

...If they would just allow USAF Aux OR USAF Auxiliary or US Air Force Aux (would that fit?) I'd feel the best.
x2. 

If they're really itching so much to make a change, USAF AUX or USAF AUXILIARY would be best.  I have to believe there would be much less dissent.  Nonetheless, that's not what they did.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

shorning

I can just hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth now!  Just think how many people would complain about the expense if we switched all our patches and insignia to subdued.  And it would have to be all of it.  In some cases, that would mean redesigning patches, because loosing the ability to show off their "bling" isn't going to sit well with members either. 

Then there's always the question, "who's going to pay?"  Guess what.  The cost to redesign everything will be passed on to the member.  Why do we insist on making the price of membership so expensive?  Just to look military?

MIKE

I think I'm going to just buy one new uniform when I need to have the new tapes on, rather than trying to salvage the other uniforms.  Not going to bother with additional sets unless I need them for an activity.
Mike Johnston