The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: dougswolf2003 on June 17, 2011, 05:30:58 AM
I have a question. I am also new to this forum and am doing some research prior to getting involved with CAP. I am an Army vet with 19 years of service, I'm wondering if it is allowed to wear federal ribbons and awards received in the military on the CAP uniform and if it is allowed with CAP ribbons?

Ribbons and most awards are allowed on AF style uniforms but not the corporate versions. You can only wear CAP ribbons and awards on those.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MSG Mac

Quote from: dougswolf2003 on June 17, 2011, 05:30:58 AM
I have a question. I am also new to this forum and am doing some research prior to getting involved with CAP. I am an Army vet with 19 years of service, I'm wondering if it is allowed to wear federal ribbons and awards received in the military on the CAP uniform and if it is allowed with CAP ribbons?

You may wear ribbons awarded by the Federal services. But not those awarded by state or local governments. IE My MAARNG unit was called up for service during the Bosnia campaign. For this we received the Army Overseas ribbon and the Commonwealth awarded us the Massachusetts Medal of Merit. I can wear the Army Overseas Ribbon but not the Medal of Merit or any of the other state awards. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

dougswolf2003

what about qualification badges or combat badges like the Air Assault Badge and the Combat Infantryman's Badge?

JC004

Quote from: dougswolf2003 on June 17, 2011, 05:44:13 AM
what about qualification badges or combat badges like the Air Assault Badge and the Combat Infantryman's Badge?

The badges are listed in CAPM 39-1.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M39_1_chap_6_sec_B.pdf

dougswolf2003

thanks for the info folks, i was just wondering what i might be getting into, as far as uniform wear and appearance is concerned.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: JC004 on June 17, 2011, 06:01:05 AM

Dude... you suck! Earlier I was reading a mesage and could have sworn I saw a bug on my screen but moved the page up and it disappeared. Now I just saw it again and realized its part of your signature! I thought I had fleas which would have been really weird for here in Denver!

Майор Хаткевич

LOL.

Yes, the fly.gif is quite the pest...on most forums...

JC004

It has come to my attention that people have been downloading the outdated version of this and that the newer version was buried a few pages in.

I placed the most recent update of this document in the download for the first post. 

It's still a couple years old, so please let me know if another version was posted elsewhere on the forum and I missed it.

AlphaSigOU

I haven't updated this guide since I moved out here to Kwajalein two years ago, but I'm looking at preparing an update when I get a chance to do so.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

wacapgh

Just keep in mind that current USAF instructions do not match what is listed in 39-1.

JC004

I made a note about this for the ICL that I sent to Col Weiss but no go on that.  NHQ will have to address this somehow.  I can try sending it up but that's usually not worth the time.

I'm going to try sending at least a handful of things up to see where they go but I don't want to compromise my effectiveness locally by wasting a lot of energy trying to track down or push things that are getting sent to outer space.

Hawk200

Quote from: wacapgh on August 22, 2011, 05:45:16 PM

Just keep in mind that current USAF instructions do not match what is listed in 39-1.
Which really isn't relevant. Unless the Air Force tells us to change it, that's what we go by.

2903 may give some ideas of guidelines to follow, but it is not binding for us.

I'm hoping that the Air Force might make allowances for wear of other service badges on our uniforms, regardless of uniform type. Let people that have earned things continue to wear them. (Not everything, mind you, I think the four badge limit is a good one. There has to be some kind of limits for the sake of decency. Of course there are a few other stipulations I would enact.)

wacapgh

6-7. US Military Badges. CAP members may wear only the US military badges authorized for wear
on the US Air Force uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority for
service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies.

And that's the rub. We have one part of the regulartion that says only what is authorized for wear on the USAF uniform followed by a table that lists some badges that are not currently authorized for wear on the USAF uniform. The USAF changed its rules about 18 months after 39-1 was published, and we have not kept up with them.

JC004

This sort of thing could be done by ICL.  I had stuff like this in my draft ICL but I dunno if it will get anywhere, should I finish it and send it to National.  FW was going to sign it this week, but since that didn't work, I wonder who I could send it to for the best chance of getting signed?  Probably not the National CC, and probably not through the entire chain (that always makes things disappear and since this is NOT a proposal, it is merely an update to existing changes above my chain, I don't know...).

We spent a lot of time on member resources and all...I'd like to get as much of it approved as possible.

manfredvonrichthofen

What is it that you are wanting changed with your ICL exactly? Just curious, I know that there are inconsistencies in the 39-1, but what are you wanting to add/remove?

lordmonar

Quote from: JC004 on August 25, 2011, 12:17:08 PM
This sort of thing could be done by ICL.  I had stuff like this in my draft ICL but I dunno if it will get anywhere, should I finish it and send it to National.  FW was going to sign it this week, but since that didn't work, I wonder who I could send it to for the best chance of getting signed?  Probably not the National CC, and probably not through the entire chain (that always makes things disappear and since this is NOT a proposal, it is merely an update to existing changes above my chain, I don't know...).

We spent a lot of time on member resources and all...I'd like to get as much of it approved as possible.
Well.....I have to say that I successfully got an uniform change all the way through the chain of command to the NB.  The adopted most of what I suggested.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JC004

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 25, 2011, 12:29:41 PM
What is it that you are wanting changed with your ICL exactly? Just curious, I know that there are inconsistencies in the 39-1, but what are you wanting to add/remove?

The ICL that I made was a consolidated ICL because the current crap is too freaking confusing with multiple changes to things and some "we haven't decided on this yet."  I split it - changes to the uniforms that will remain in one ICL, and a separate ICL for the corporate uniform, which can just disappear once that's dead.  You shouldn't need to do a side-by-side of everything, trying to figure out what the heck the current standard is.  It's ridiculous.  I also wanted to adjust some things to changes the Air Force has made.

Quote from: lordmonar on August 25, 2011, 03:19:42 PM
Well.....I have to say that I successfully got an uniform change all the way through the chain of command to the NB.  The adopted most of what I suggested.

I'm compiling my stuff and hopefully some of it can get done.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: JC004 on August 25, 2011, 11:38:23 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 25, 2011, 12:29:41 PM

The ICL that I made was a consolidated ICL because the current crap is too freaking confusing with multiple changes to things and some "we haven't decided on this yet."  I split it - changes to the uniforms that will remain in one ICL, and a separate ICL for the corporate uniform, which can just disappear once that's dead.  You shouldn't need to do a side-by-side of everything, trying to figure out what the heck the current standard is.  It's ridiculous.  I also wanted to adjust some things to changes the Air Force has made.

Quote from: lordmonar on August 25, 2011, 03:19:42 PM

I'm compiling my stuff and hopefully some of it can get done.
What is it that you are wanting to adjust to changes the Air Force made?

flyboy53

Because the Air Force allows state ribbons as long as you are not on active duty. Also allowed limitedly by the Air Force are decorations and awards of U.S. Military Societies.

JC004

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 26, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
What is it that you are wanting to adjust to changes the Air Force made?

You ask me this while I have the laptop and not the netbook.  Just changes to existing uniforms (namely, no addition of the ABU or anything) like females with male flight caps, phase out of the gray scarves and all, etc.  I had also included clarification on how to wear mess dress medal devices (which isn't a change, but it isn't specified in 39-1, only in the AFI). 

Basically, I was working on a consolidated ICL with all the current changes and a phase-out date chart (removing all the crap and back and forth), a version that had some of the AF Uniform Board updates, and the CAP uniform information website based on the Air Force site (but better).