Fundraising Ideas

Started by I_Am_Twigs, November 23, 2018, 07:06:36 PM

I_Am_Twigs

I searched this before hand and the newest post was about 4 years ago, so I thought I'd make a new thread since some things have changed.

I'm currently planning on starting an Honor Guard in the near future, although I have one problem, getting the proper equipment (according to CAPM 39-1) and enough of it, it can get pretty expensive. So I'm looking for ideas for fundraising.

We currently have 3? Recruiting/fundraising events that my squadron does. We park cars at a parking lot for the county fair and we sell scones in a neighboring county's 4th of July celebration (I could only remember 2  :-\).

I was thinking we could do something like a swim-a-thon (you ask someone to sponsor you, if you swim X amount of laps they'll pay you X amount of money for each lap you swam) except we run, it would encourage physical fitness and raise money. Its a win win!

Any other ideas?
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

OldGuy

Fundraising requires a separation from the USAF Total Force and .gov world. Make sure nothing you do in that space runs into that wall.

Paul Creed III

Since this is for honor guard equipment, reaching out to your local veterans organization may be fruitful.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: OldGuy on November 23, 2018, 11:21:43 PM
Fundraising requires a separation from the USAF Total Force and .gov world. Make sure nothing you do in that space runs into that wall.

I still don't get this, why would we separate ourselves from the USAF Total Force when they were the ones that made it public in the first place? I'll follow through with it either way.

Thank you for your advice sir!

Quote from: Paul Creed III on November 23, 2018, 11:43:18 PM
Since this is for honor guard equipment, reaching out to your local veterans organization may be fruitful.

I'll see if we have any around that would be willing to do that, thank you!
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

OldGuy

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on November 24, 2018, 12:22:58 AM

I still don't get this, why would we separate ourselves from the USAF Total Force when they were the ones that made it public in the first place? I'll follow through with it either way.

We live in (at least) two worlds - a USAF Official Auxiliary and also a not for profit charitable corporation. The rules for each are different. Without dwelling on the reasons, it is critical that senior members engaged in specific fundraising wear corporate uniform only (cadets oddly enough can and should be in USAF uniforms) and that communication be from non .gov emails and websites.

I encourage you to coordinate with your PAO.

Good luck and thank you for your initiative!

(BTW, we predate the USAF by a number of years!)

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: OldGuy on November 24, 2018, 12:46:53 AM

We live in (at least) two worlds - a USAF Official Auxiliary and also a not for profit charitable corporation. The rules for each are different. Without dwelling on the reasons, it is critical that senior members engaged in specific fundraising wear corporate uniform only (cadets oddly enough can and should be in USAF uniforms) and that communication be from non .gov emails and websites.

I encourage you to coordinate with your PAO.

Good luck and thank you for your initiative!

(BTW, we predate the USAF by a number of years!)

Haha yea, I like to jokingly say "Technically CAP was Air Force before Air Force was even Air Force."

And thank you for the information!
C/Maj, CAP

arajca

Keep in mind the any fund raising activities need to be approved by our wing commander. Also, read (and have your senior member in charge read) CAPR 173-4 Fund Raising/Donations.

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: arajca on November 24, 2018, 01:22:44 AM
Keep in mind the any fund raising activities need to be approved by our wing commander. Also, read (and have your senior member in charge read) CAPR 173-4 Fund Raising/Donations.

Will do sir, thank you!
C/Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Total Force is marketing - nothing more, nothing less.

Humorously, the fundraising rules, which were in place before "TF", were / are intended
to try make people understand that the USAF wasn't selling cheesecakes to fund jets.

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2018, 01:38:16 AM

Total Force is marketing - nothing more, nothing less.

Humorously, the fundraising rules, which were in place before "TF", were / are intended
to try make people understand that the USAF wasn't selling cheesecakes to fund jets.

I guess that makes sense..
C/Maj, CAP

PHall

Take a look at CAPR 173-4 Fundraising. Should tell you what you need to know to stay out of trouble.

etodd

Is your Squadron a member of the local Chamber of Commerce? Many Chambers will give free memberships to non-profits. Attend the monthly after-hours networking events and get to know some of the area's business leaders. Let them know all the things you are doing with Cadets and about the programs. At some point, maybe months later, some will enjoy hearing about it and will ask "Is there anything I can do to help these young folks?"

Well as a matter of fact, we do have this need ....
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

baronet68

In the past, my squadron had great success selling small kitchen/home fire extinguishers to neighbors, friends, and family.  Fire extinguishers fit into the safety/ES scope of CAP and a lot of people don't have them in their homes.

We did the sales during the month of October (national fire prevention month) and each squadron member sold about 10-12 extinguishers each, which raised over $3,000 for the unit. 

This type of "percentage" fundraiser now requires NHQ approval, but don't let that be an obstacle... Your Squadron CC can raise the request through your Wing CC to NHQ. 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

OldGuy

Wreaths Across America
Candy Jar. Guess the number of jellybeans, hair ties, bouncy balls, etc. in the jar to win.
3-Club Golf Tournament. Three clubs, 18 holes, three hours. Accept pledges for birdies. Add an age-based putting contest, so even non-golfers can participate.
Car Wash. Vacuum the inside, too. Oh, and yes, you do windows!
Pancake Breakfast
Flowers. A single bloom is easy and often more meaningful. * Genius Tip: Take pre-orders on a sign up, and schedule to deliver on Mother's Day!
Raffle. 50/50 is the easiest. The winner gets half and your group keeps the other half. (Watch state laws!)
Auction. Hold an online or traditional auction by collecting donation items from church members or local businesses.
Get an old broken down car (or computer?) and have students and adults pay to get a swing at the car with a sledgehammer.

Eclipse

In your request or approval to the Wing CC, request that the Wing's next "contribution" from Vanguard
be used to purchase the equipment you need.

These funds are given without restriction to the wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2018, 03:08:47 PM
In tiye reRequest that your wing's Vabguard ki...subsidy be used to
Uh. Bob,  little early to be in the sauce
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 24, 2018, 03:09:37 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2018, 03:08:47 PM
In tiye reRequest that your wing's Vabguard ki...subsidy be used to
Uh. Bob,  little early to be in the sauce

I know, but it's been a long weekend of Turkey and new closets...

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: OldGuy on November 24, 2018, 02:04:41 PM
Wreaths Across America
Candy Jar. Guess the number of jellybeans, hair ties, bouncy balls, etc. in the jar to win.
3-Club Golf Tournament. Three clubs, 18 holes, three hours. Accept pledges for birdies. Add an age-based putting contest, so even non-golfers can participate.
Pancake Breakfast
Flowers. A single bloom is easy and often more meaningful. * Genius Tip: Take pre-orders on a sign up, and schedule to deliver on Mother's Day!
Raffle. 50/50 is the easiest. The winner gets half and your group keeps the other half. (Watch state laws!)
Auction. Hold an online or traditional auction by collecting donation items from church members or local businesses.
Get an old broken down car (or computer?) and have students and adults pay to get a swing at the car with a sledgehammer.

Ah! Wreaths across America is the one I forgot earlier! (we try to do it anyway, any tips on it?)

We've done these ones before, they work pretty well.

Quote from: OldGuy on November 24, 2018, 02:04:41 PM
Pancake Breakfast

We have yet to try the others however, I'll make sure I get these recommendations to my Squadron CC.

Quote from: baronet68 on November 24, 2018, 07:49:53 AM
In the past, my squadron had great success selling small kitchen/home fire extinguishers to neighbors, friends, and family.  Fire extinguishers fit into the safety/ES scope of CAP and a lot of people don't have them in their homes.

We did the sales during the month of October (national fire prevention month) and each squadron member sold about 10-12 extinguishers each, which raised over $3,000 for the unit. 

This type of "percentage" fundraiser now requires NHQ approval, but don't let that be an obstacle... Your Squadron CC can raise the request through your Wing CC to NHQ. 

This is a great idea! Where did you guys get the extinguishers?

Quote from: etodd on November 24, 2018, 04:07:17 AM
Is your Squadron a member of the local Chamber of Commerce? Many Chambers will give free memberships to non-profits. Attend the monthly after-hours networking events and get to know some of the area's business leaders. Let them know all the things you are doing with Cadets and about the programs. At some point, maybe months later, some will enjoy hearing about it and will ask "Is there anything I can do to help these young folks?"

Well as a matter of fact, we do have this need ....

I don't think we are.. I'll ask, and if we're not I'll make sure we join!
C/Maj, CAP

baronet68

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on November 24, 2018, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on November 24, 2018, 07:49:53 AM

This is a great idea! Where did you guys get the extinguishers?

Google is our friend:

http://wowfundraising.com/product/fireade-fire-extinguishers

http://fundraising.fireade.com/

;)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

OldGuy

Have your DCC / CC email giving@gocivilairpatrol.org for assistance.

Introducing CAP's Newest National Staff Member
Major Lisa Myrick
Deputy Chief of Field Fundraising

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/fieldfr/devteam/