Main Menu

Looking for recommendations

Started by 1st Sgt Bronco, July 06, 2018, 03:27:03 PM

1st Sgt Bronco

Hello all,

I've recently come to be head of my squadron and i feel my classes and teachings are lacking something important. I seem to be boring my cadets more than teaching them anything. I'm trying to find more fun hands on classes to make things more exciting and to give them something to look forward to. Any recommendations or advice is very welcome.
Thank you all in advance!

Eclipse

Well, for a start, classes in what?

What kind of direction are you being given by your Cadet Commander and your Unit Commander?

Some things are going to be dry, it just is what it is, but in general, anything you can properly
instruct or impart from personal experience vs. a slide projected on the wall is going to be better.

"That Others May Zoom"

1st Sgt Bronco

Right now my saquadron has no cadet commander, so i'm kinda the only cadet staff we have so i do everything. All the Sm's don't really know what to do, they just say that they need help fixing things because there isn't much structure or order. One of the Sm's does aerospace but everything else is left up to me. Right now I'm trying to make my leadership classes more fun and interesting. Other than that I'm just looking for recommendations and advice on how exactly to run a squadron and how to plan stuff out to make it structured and orderly but fun as well.

Eclipse

The things you need to fix are not primarily within your control.

Assuming you are not an officer, you haven't had any training or experience in indirect leading.
Being the "oldest / highest" isn't enough, which means you are being asked to prepare and present
ahead of your exhibited capabilities, program-wise (which is in no way a reflection or indication of your abilities in
any way).

Simply put, the shirt has specific roles, and they are not running the program.

Especially in situations like this, a senior member(s) needs to be stepping in directly and
running the program and presenting.  If that person doesn't exist in your squadron, then
your unit CC needs to contact higher HQ and get the help he needs.

Beyond that, while my comment about using life experience as opposed to slides is still applicable,
you may not have the experience to start with, which is not fair to you.

You have both strategic (long term) and immediate (what are we doing today) issues, and it's near impossible
for the same people to fix both while they are trying to swim themselves.  As an NCO,
your primary role is immediate needs and wrench-turning, not strategic issues.

The fix for this is for you and your leadership need to sit down, identify your weaknesses and gaps, and
go and get help from Group or Wing.

Start this next meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

And figure out if you're talking at them or with them. There's a major difference.

arajca

Are there any nearby units who could loan you someone to instruct some classes?

Also, look at the National Cadet Programs page, specifically the Squadron Training Plans page, which lists a recommended schedule and includes lesson plans. Suggest your senior members check this out as well.