Anyone ever head of an on line Journal called "The CAP Officer?"

Started by Major Carrales, February 25, 2007, 07:57:28 PM

Major Carrales

A while back...I mean a long while back (like in the late 1990s) I remember reading a CAP journal called "The CAP Officer."

It had a "darthmouth.edu" address or something like that.

A friend reminded me of it...was that dream?  What was the history behind that?  It was sort of like CAP Blog and CAP TALK all in one.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

I remember it, so you're not alone. Just don't recall the exact address, probably deleted it from my Favorites when my deadlink checker found it inactive. It was some time ago.

RiverAux

I remember it as being better than a blog.  Don't recall a lot of issues.  Still see links to it on some CAP web pages that haven't been updated in a looongg time.

DNall

yeah, I rememebr that as well, was devoted to PD. Think it just fell by the wayside & was absorbed by a couple of the columns currently running.

sardak

Here is the original link which is dead:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~janl/journal/title.page.html

It was called the "The CAP Officer - A Professional Journal for CAP Volunteers"
A professional journal for CAP volunteers, to provide a refereed forum for the discussion and analysis of professionalism, leadership, and quality training issues. Spurring leadership growth within the CAP membership.... contributing to a more professional Civil Air Patrol.

I found several links to it but they all go to the dead Dartmouth site.

Edit: There are several articles from it archived at cadetstuff.org.  From one of those articles:
Major Curt Lafond, Spaatzen #1030, is the former Director of Cadet Programs from New Hampshire Wing. He frequently writes on leadership topics as they apply to the CAP Cadet Program.

A long-time CAP member, he was responsible for "The CAP Officer", a trendsetting e-zine.

Mike

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 25, 2007, 09:30:42 PM
I remember it as being better than a blog.  Don't recall a lot of issues.  Still see links to it on some CAP web pages that haven't been updated in a looongg time.

It was like a professional "journal," very "University" like and well formated. It came out in Issue and Volumes like a journal...if memory serves. It wasn't as informal as we have it today.

Now, if national were to do something like that...but a CAP Journal has never materialized.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major_Chuck

I too remember it.  Long long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

Wondered what happened to it then forgot all about it until now.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

ItsAllVerbatim

The present-day CAPBlog [LINK] is exactly what CAP needs at this juncture.

I rather like his commentary and realistic views.

dwb

I rather enjoyed The CAP Officer when it existed.  In fact, I think I still have a print out of Mr. Lafond's article about CAC from that site.

It ceased to exist around the early 00s, if I recall correctly.  It really was ahead of its time; it's not like every cadet had Internet access on their cell phones in those days.

Bluelakes 13

Would anyone still have "back issues" of this?  I would love to take a look at one.

ZigZag911

It was pretty good, rather academic as someone mentioned....but tackled some innovative, interesting topics....and had genuine grass roots applications.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 26, 2007, 07:21:30 PM
It was pretty good, rather academic as someone mentioned....but tackled some innovative, interesting topics....and had genuine grass roots applications.

The last thing I saw of this was that it had changed names and format...then life happened.  When I returned to it...it was gone.

That was back in the days when "infoseek" and "lycos" were the main search engines and "yahoo" was coming of age.  Google was a few years away from greatness.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

I know that the AF has a publication called "Today's Officer"  ~ or something like that~ I know CAP was mentioned in it at least once. Is there any way that we could subscribe to it?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Pylon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 26, 2007, 09:25:31 PM
I know that the AF has a publication called "Today's Officer"  ~ or something like that~ I know CAP was mentioned in it at least once. Is there any way that we could subscribe to it?

Today's Officer is a publication of the Military Officer's Association of America (MOAA).  It's a quarterly magazine.  CAP was featured once in an issue and reprints are available through NHQ for recruiting purposes.

Info on the Today's Officer magazine here.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454