Cadet O-Flight ribbon tracking

Started by Holding Pattern, December 04, 2019, 06:35:56 AM

Holding Pattern

I'm looking at the reports available in WMIRS and I can pull a report by pilot to see if they have done 50 o-flights, but I cannot see how to run a report showing passengers for those flights. I'm looking for suggestions on how to properly pull this report and get awards to our pilots.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Blanding

Do you have CAPWATCH access? You could take entries from the OFlight report (which shows sortie number and syllabus), then download the wing report for air sorties in csv from WMIRS and look up the pilot for each o-flight by sortie number. Then you simply need to display a count of the number of results for each pilot.. I think.

If you do have the CAPWATCH access, I can build you an example excel sheet if it would be helpful.

arajca

Why is the list of passengers needed? If the report says they've done 50, that's your documentation.

Blanding

Quote from: arajca on December 04, 2019, 03:15:38 PM
Why is the list of passengers needed? If the report says they've done 50, that's your documentation.

Admittedly I don't really understand what CAPR 39-1 is saying here:

Quoteh. Cadet Orientation Pilot Ribbon. Awarded to members who provide 50 cadet orientation
flights. Each cadet receiving credit for the flight, may be counted toward the total of 50. A bronze
clasp may be added for each additional 50 flights.

If the pilot was supposed to count each single orientation flight as one toward the 50, why would they include the part about how each cadet receiving credit may be counted? Doesn't that imply that cadets who are in the back receiving syllabus 99 flights are counted toward the 50?

arajca

Quote from: Blanding on December 04, 2019, 03:29:21 PM
Quote from: arajca on December 04, 2019, 03:15:38 PM

Admittedly I don't really understand what CAPR 39-1 is saying here:

Quoteh. Cadet Orientation Pilot Ribbon. Awarded to members who provide 50 cadet orientation
flights. Each cadet receiving credit for the flight, may be counted toward the total of 50. A bronze
clasp may be added for each additional 50 flights.

If the pilot was supposed to count each single orientation flight as one toward the 50, why would they include the part about how each cadet receiving credit may be counted? Doesn't that imply that cadets who are in the back receiving syllabus 99 flights are counted toward the 50?
As usual, the requirements are clear as mud. I don't have the report available, but does it break down by number of flights for each sylabus?

Blanding

The wing report (from WMIRS) is only downloadable in 99-day increments and shows each flight taken with pilot information. The wing report will only show the mission type (i.e., A15) but no information about who else was on board.

The orientation flight report (from CAPWATCH) shows which cadet(s) was/were on board, but does not include pilot information.

So I can see which cadets have flown which syllabus numbers in the orientation flight report, but not who flew them. Or, I can look at who flew orientation flights, but not how many cadets were on board.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Blanding on December 04, 2019, 02:46:16 PM
Do you have CAPWATCH access? You could take entries from the OFlight report (which shows sortie number and syllabus), then download the wing report for air sorties in csv from WMIRS and look up the pilot for each o-flight by sortie number. Then you simply need to display a count of the number of results for each pilot.. I think.

If you do have the CAPWATCH access, I can build you an example excel sheet if it would be helpful.

I'm a data monkey in a prior life. Just knowing the file is there is enough for me to take advantage of it, thanks!

Lord of the North

The data you seek is available in a report in WMIRS at https://www.capnhq.gov/WMIRS/Reports/CadetOrientationFlights.aspx
This report is on a monthly basis, selected by month and year for the entire wing.

A excel spreadsheet is easy to create as I have done this when I was the Wing Personnel Officer and then could generate the award documentation.

Additionally, when I contacted NHQ concerning the wording the awards regulation I was told that the pilot received credit for each orientation flight e.g., three cadets flown at one time (one front seat and two backseat) would be credited with three orientation flights.

Hope this helps