Main Menu

Signature

Started by winterg, July 10, 2008, 08:25:01 PM

winterg

Greetings all,

Just a quick thought and feel free to flame me if you think it's a lame idea.  Some of the forums I post on require you to have your real name in your signature.  Now, hear me out....

We are all professionals here in the Civil Air Patrol.  I hope.  :-\ If we act in a professional manner, there should be no fear of having your information in the post.  Me personally, I like to know who I'm engaging in discussion with.  I know some will be afraid of recriminations by command for posting rants against what they see as injustices in our organization.  But it's also been my experience that people feel more bold to be less than courteous when no one knows who is doing the flaming.  Maybe it would help some to think about what they write since their name, rank and wing is attached to it.

This is just a thought and I'm curious to know what people think about it.  It seems to work quite well on the forums that I use that require it.

_

winterg

Looks like about the same thing I was talking about.  Thanks.  I admit to not having gone through ALL previous posts! =)  And looking at the date, it looks like it's time for the annual resurrection of it! lol (jk)  Oh well, I probably won't get much response then.

mikeylikey

^ Ya there are already like 12 threads regarding this.  

TO make my point I made in all the other threads, I doesn't matter if your name is attached to it, I still don't know you personally, so what difference does it make.  If the mods make it a requirement to announce who we are, then fine, I will do what they say.  But they have not.  

If you want to get to know people here, read their previous posts, or PM them.  I have made it known to others who I am in the PM section, all they have to do is ask.  

Its like making new friends, I don't want to be everyones friend, I want to get to know the person first, and have some discussions outside the regular post.  

So....I am glad you can announce who you are, just be careful, because many people like to take what you will write here and try to burn you if they really don't like what you have to say.  
What's up monkeys?

winterg

After reading some of the previous threads I can very much see your point.  And as much as I wish the world was different, I also understand how things sometimes work.  AS for using anything I say here to burn me, what are "they" going to do, cut my pay in half! lol  I follow the regs and try to be the best CAPper I can even if I do on occasion make myself a nuisance.  Been doing it since the eighties, probably not going to change.  :P

There are a LOT of previous threads, Almost too many to read all of them. So I apologize in advance if I bring up a topic that everyone has already hashed to death.

GPVIIOps

Could be an issue with some people. Honestly, I try to stay out of the light as much as I can. I am in public service, and it's best that some of the dirt bags I deal with don't find out what kind out outside programs I am involved with just by doing a quick google search.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

jb512

I used to have my name in my signature, but after I had a long lost childhood friend find me here by doing a google search, I changed it to just my initials.  I had absolutely no problem with him contacting me and it was great to hear from him, but I realized how public you make yourself.

Someone could easily identify me and contact me by the information I have in my signature and they're welcome to, but I'm not just going to throw my name out for everyone in the world to see.  I'm still hanging out in the wind this way, but it's not as obvious.

addo1

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 05:06:24 AM
I used to have my name in my signature, but after I had a long lost childhood friend find me here by doing a google search, I changed it to just my initials.  I had absolutely no problem with him contacting me and it was great to hear from him, but I realized how public you make yourself.

Someone could easily identify me and contact me by the information I have in my signature and they're welcome to, but I'm not just going to throw my name out for everyone in the world to see.  I'm still hanging out in the wind this way, but it's not as obvious.

That is pretty smart... My name is all over the internet, as I do soo many things, but I try to give out as little other as I possibly can.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

alamrcn

<<< THREAD BREAK >>>
I didn't want to start a new thread on signatures... But anyone know why the graphic in my signature line (as of this post) is "squishy" ??

The URL for the image referenced is...
http://www.incountry.us/hd-capgt.gif
I havn't used any HTML or anything to resize the image.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

MIKE

Because it was [farg]ing huge...  The rest of you with annoyingly large sigs/sig pics should consider yourselves on notice.

Best I could do with the size tags.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Do this, it's less annoying:

[table][tr][td][img]http://www.incountry.us/capgt-bs.gif[/img][/td]
[td]Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
Patch Picker & Ground Pounder
Minnesota Wing[/td][/tr]
[/table]
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Thanks.

I didn't know the mix between HTML and BCC - or whatever the board coding is called. An "ALIGN" flag didn't seem to work, but tables look swell.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Jimbo

test -- also going to test the table code.. thanks
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

James Shaw

Trying to figure out how to get a clear and transparent background through MicroSoft Power Point on a picture that has a white or clear background. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

SarDragon

Can't do it in Powerpoint. You need a regular graphics editor to make it into a transparent GIF.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret