1967 Plane Crash

Started by Jill, August 10, 2009, 03:44:39 AM

Spike

Cool story......except for:

QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol looked again in October 1967 after learning then that their two-week search in March for a family crashed in the Trinity Alps had ended too soon: a girl and her mother survived 54 days before she noted in a diary on her 16th birthday "I hope you are happy Search and Rescue. You haven't found us yet." They were eaten by bears.

What?!?!

Rotorhead

Quote from: Spike on August 10, 2009, 02:06:13 PM

QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol looked again in October 1967 after learning then that their two-week search in March for a family crashed in the Trinity Alps had ended too soon: a girl and her mother survived 54 days before she noted in a diary on her 16th birthday "I hope you are happy Search and Rescue. You haven't found us yet." They were eaten by bears.

What?!?!
54 days? Man, they coulda walked out...crawled out, even...to anyplace...by then.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

a2capt

It was snowing. Lots of it, remember the Christmas tree seekers and the wrong turn? They were not even 2 miles from a road.

Airrace

I agree it sounds like a long time but unitil you our put in the same situation it's hard to judge why someone did what they did.

ammotrucker

This search and the outcome is discussed in the current SMC course by AFRCC.  It has long been a cause of concern as to when each event should be suspended.  But, when the money expense outwieghs the likelyhood of finding, someone must make a decision it must cease.

I agree that it is a cool story, but I feel me must detach ourselfs from the final results of any search.  And, second guessing the management from 1967 is a bit of Monday quarterbacking a few years late.

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 10, 2009, 02:46:45 PM

54 days? Man, they coulda walked out...crawled out, even...to anyplace...by then.

Yet we teach and instruct members to stay with the crash site to make it easier to locate them. 

It is common knowledge that only 11-34% survive an Aircraft crash, 95% of the surviving members will, WILL have injuries what would make you think they where capable of walking, crawling out.  That would be a big assumption.

But, that is MHO
RG Little, Capt

Rotorhead

Quote from: ammotrucker on August 10, 2009, 05:02:14 PM
This search and the outcome is discussed in the current SMC course by AFRCC.  It has long been a cause of concern as to when each event should be suspended.  But, when the money expense outwieghs the likelyhood of finding, someone must make a decision it must cease.

I agree that it is a cool story, but I feel me must detach ourselfs from the final results of any search.  And, second guessing the management from 1967 is a bit of Monday quarterbacking a few years late.

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 10, 2009, 02:46:45 PM

Yet we teach and instruct members to stay with the crash site to make it easier to locate them. 

I think staying with the a/c is fine...for a while. But let's be realistic: Staying with a downed plane after nearly two months have passed is just pointless.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ