AFOEA authorized for wear...by some

Started by Mustang, March 02, 2018, 05:37:06 PM

Mustang

Announced in DC today that the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award is now authorized for wear by CAP members. The decoration now appears in the awards module on eServices for all qualifying members.

HOWEVER....

...the restriction on wear of military decorations on corporate uniforms was NOT lifted, so only members meeting fitness/grooming standards to wear the AF-style uniform may wear the new ribbon.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Alaric

Quote from: Mustang on March 02, 2018, 05:37:06 PM
Announced in DC today that the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award is now authorized for wear by CAP members. The decoration now appears in the awards module on eServices for all qualifying members.

HOWEVER....

...the restriction on wear of military decorations on corporate uniforms was NOT lifted, so only members meeting fitness/grooming standards to wear the AF-style uniform may wear the new ribbon.

As it should be, if CAP (Corporate entity) wants to develop a ribbon to represent the fact that the AFOEA was awarded that all the members can wear, that's on them.  Military awards cannot be worn on civilian clothing with certain rare exceptions (such as medal of honor winners, I believe)

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Alaric on March 02, 2018, 06:54:02 PM
Military awards cannot be worn on civilian clothing with certain rare exceptions (such as medal of honor winners, I believe)

There is no federal law or guideline prohibiting the wear of military decorations on civilian clothing. Active, Guard, and Reserve personnel are prohibited per their branch except under specific guidelines.

CAP continues to dismiss the service of those of us that whether by choice or chance don't wear Ma Blue's costumes because reasons.

Dead equine. Blunt object. Repeat.

arajca

Alaric

Quote from: Gunsotsu on March 02, 2018, 08:19:21 PM
Military awards cannot be worn on civilian clothing with certain rare exceptions (such as medal of honor winners, I believe)

There is no federal law or guideline prohibiting the wear of military decorations on civilian clothing. Active, Guard, and Reserve personnel are prohibited per their branch except under specific guidelines.

CAP continues to dismiss the service of those of us that whether by choice or chance don't wear Ma Blue's costumes because reasons.

Wear of medals on civilian clothes

Found in Section 30.6 Page 316

Applies to Gender Both

Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-size or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

Sections 11.4 11.8 12.4 12.5

Sriracha

Quote from: Mustang on March 02, 2018, 05:37:06 PM

By fitness standards, do they mean healthy fitness standards under CPFT, or Air Force BMT requirements, or something else?
Also, is the award for cadets too or just senior members?

MSG Mac

It's the same rule as already in the regs. Military Ribbons cannot be worn on the Grey/White uniforms. Only CAP ribbons can be worn on the G/W.

Healthy is meet the H/W requirements at the back of CAPM 39-1

Cadets who were members during the stated dates can wear the ribbon
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

James Shaw

Here are a couple of ideas. ;D

Amazing what you can do on a lunch break.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

SarDragon

Very nice, except that the gong designs on the upper right and lower left are prohibited by the AF Heraldry guide.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Alaric on March 02, 2018, 08:39:25 PM

Wear of medals on civilian clothes

Found in Section 30.6 Page 316

Applies to Gender Both

Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-size or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

Sections 11.4 11.8 12.4 12.5

AFI 36-2903 DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL

Civilians ain't AF personnel. Nice quotation of scripture though.

dwb

No matter how much progress we make towards becoming a true partner to our parent service, there are always people who complain we haven't come far enough.

They don't want USAF ribbons on non-USAF uniforms. It's not because they hate you personally. Buy the lapel pin and wear it on the blazer.

Gunsotsu

Quote from: dwb on March 02, 2018, 09:57:29 PM
...becoming a true partner to our parent service

<pedantic>

The US Army is CAP's parent service. The USAF is just the younger, prettier sister that married money.

</pedantic>

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Buy the lapel pin and wear it on the blazer.
I'm getting a bit sick of this line of thought.

USAF awarded this USAF award to a specific group of CAP members. Likely 1/2 the seniors and a group of cadets are not allowed to wear it. There was specific guidance that if the CAP award gave you 2, wear separate ribbons (no cluster). 

lordmonar

Quote from: Gunsotsu on March 02, 2018, 08:19:21 PM

CAP USAF continues to dismiss the service of those of us that whether by choice or chance don't wear Ma Blue's costumes because reasons.

FIXED that for you.     
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LATORRECA

Shots fired. Hello guys I see you all guys, keep arguing by the same thing. Uniforms and Corporate HQ.

standards are standards for a reason. Policies are in place and a handful are followed. Just saying about the Ht/Wt for the uniforms. And the ribbon authorization.

Going back to my cave.
S/F
Carlos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlphaSigOU

And they ask us why we DRINK!?!?!?

It sux that we can't wear the little piece of bling with corporate grays... but the regs are the regs! Salute and execute, ladies and gentlemen!

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CAP9907

Replies like this are why we cannot have nice things.

Quote from: Gunsotsu on March 02, 2018, 10:02:31 PM
...becoming a true partner to our parent service

<pedantic>

The US Army is CAP's parent service. The USAF is just the younger, prettier sister that married money.

</pedantic>
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Fester

As a fat and fuzzy, I REALLY don't understand why people are so upset that we can't wear military ribbons on our fat and fuzzy uniforms.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

LATORRECA

Quote from: Fester on March 03, 2018, 07:01:00 AM
As a fat and fuzzy, I REALLY don't understand why people are so upset that we can't wear military ribbons on our fat and fuzzy uniforms.
Neither do I

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Okayish Aviator

In before the clicky clicky by SARDRAGON.

*Insert picture of a bunch of cadets standing at attention saluting in a cardboard boat as it sinks*
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.