Uniform changes procedures

Started by flyguy06, November 30, 2005, 06:37:32 PM

flyguy06

I have been in CAP for a while. Since 1984. Iremember when SM's wore blue epulates ontheir blues.

I wish we could go back tothat and wear rank on the hat. Look more like the Air Force. The reason it was changed is because too many overweight members were embarassing the USAF and to make sure the general public didnt mistake us for the USAF, they made these rules.
Well, I think if National gave Squadron Commanders more authority as far as ensuring memebrs were in the correct uniform in the correct height and weight.

SO, how do you suggest uniform changes to National? What is the usual procedure for that?

MIKE

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 30, 2005, 06:37:32 PM
SO, how do you suggest uniform changes to National? What is the usual procedure for that?

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-4. How to Recommend Changes to the Uniform. New or changed uniform items may not be
authorized without approval of the National Commander/National Board and/or National Headquarters
(except as specified in Table 1-3 of this manual). Unit commanders will forward recommended changes
to the uniform, accessories, or related items through channels to National Headquarters/LMM for
evaluation. Suggestions not recommended for adoption by the wing or region commander should not be
forwarded to National Headquarters.

Edited to add:

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 30, 2005, 06:37:32 PMI think if National gave Squadron Commanders more authority as far as ensuring memebrs were in the correct uniform in the correct height and weight.

They have the authority... Many just do not choose to exercise said authority, or exercise it to the extent authorized.

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-2. Command Responsibility. All commanders will ensure that all members, individually and
collectively, present a professional, well-groomed appearance, which will reflect credit upon CAP as the
auxiliary of the United States Air Force. They will ensure all members are uniformed in accordance with
the provisions of this manual, uniform violations are promptly corrected, and that members are
continually informed as to the proper wear of the uniform. The wing commander, or the commander to
whom such authority is delegated by the wing commander, will prescribe the type clothing to be worn
by members while flying or engaging in organized recreational activities. (The region commander will
prescribe wear policy for members of the region headquarters.)
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 30, 2005, 06:37:32 PM
Well, I think if National gave Squadron Commanders more authority as far as ensuring memebrs were in the correct uniform in the correct height and weight.

Squadron Commander's definitely have that power.  In fact, it's listed as ultimately the commander's responsibility to ensure their troops are properly wearing their suits.

In NYWG, commanders have ever more leeway to put pressure on senior members to wear their uniforms properly.  There is a Wing policy letter that says if a SM is asked to correct uniform violations, but doesn't in a timely manner, the commander can have them immediately de-frocked of all rank and demoted to Senior Member without grade.  They will be reinstated to their original grade post haste, only once they've corrected all their uniform issues.

A rather embarassing ordeal for most, I would think, so commanders should (but usually don't) hold that over someone's head to encourage them to meet the standards.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Man, my squadron must be tottaly different from anyone. These people dont care about rank. They get paid the same if they were a SM then if they were a Lt COL. Demotion is not a punishment.

I always knew Wing Commanders had authority because they are corporate officers and they actually terminate your membership. I didnt think Squadron Commanders could do that.