Boot Polishing Method

Started by JCSCADET, September 03, 2005, 11:37:21 PM

JCSCADET

Heres how To Shine Your Boots
WITHOUT messing them up
Tsgt Wallace

1.   Spread a medium-thick layer of shoe polish over the portion of the boot to be shined.

2.   Allow it to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.

3.   Using a cotton ball. Dip the cotton ball into a container of water. The cotton should be wet, but not dripping.

4.   Buff the dried polish (using a circular motion) with the wet cotton ball, until the wax starts to become shiney.

5.   Still using the damp cotton ball, apply a fine layer of polish in a circular motion and keep on rubbing lightly until a hazy shine develops.

6.   Using a cotton ball, keep applying THIN coats of wax, buffing them with a small circular motion.

1. The reason to use a wet cloth is to stop the fine coats of polish sticking to the cloth and to encourage the polish to stick to the leather.

2. You want to keep on building up thin layers of wax until you have a completely smooth surface that gives the glossy shine.

3. After the first heavy coat of polish you must use small amounts of polish to build up the shine. If you use too much polish, it will dissolve the base you have already built up.

4. God help us all!!! dont use alchol it will mess up your boots!

abysmal

It might be worth mentioning that this is for a boot polish that does NOT contain carnuba wax. Hi-Gloss "waxes" don't like to be built-up...
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

JCSCADET

oh yes thank you for reminding me!!! that pride gloss is the worst thing to use because after awhile it will begin to crack up on your boot.  another thing to remember is that when it comes to shining your boots, its all about buffing them.

Yoda

Quote from: formerjcscadet on September 12, 2005, 08:28:46 PM
oh yes thank you for reminding me!!! that pride gloss is the worst thing to use because after awhile it will begin to crack up on your boot.  another thing to remember is that when it comes to shining your boots, its all about buffing them.
And you of course have proof of this...?  Parade Gloss (the term you're looking for) is not my favorite polish in the world.  I don't believe that it gives as good a shine in the end.  But I have yet to actually see evidence that boots will crack from using it.  All I hear is a bunch of rumors to that effect.

I really wish that somebody would provide definitive evidence one way or the other on these products.  Way too many rumors get spread around about boot polishing.

Matt

if your boots are cracking due to polish, then perhaps you should have leather boots on not Pleather, plasitc, etc.

I use parade polish as a topping to all of the polish when I polised my combat boots.  When I polish my shoes I use it because the silicone tends to protect them a bit better.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

SarDragon

Leather cracks because it dries out. Polish cracks because there is too much on the shoe where it bends. "Plastic" shoes crack when the plasticizer either dries out naturally (takes many months) or due to treatment with chemicals that dissolve it out. Those include things that one might think to be protective in nature.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

footballrun21

I use plain old Kiwi polish on the boot it self.  Then I  use the same same polish and a good, smooth cloth and spit shine the heel and toe.  The boot turns out great and I've always gotten compliments on how "outstanding" they are (some people think I use Leather Luster :D).  Plus, some people think it takes forever to spit shine.  For a pretty good shine, it takes me a maximum of 10 min. per boot.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Yoda

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 14, 2005, 10:26:28 PM
I use plain old Kiwi polish on the boot it self.  Then I  use the same same polish and a good, smooth cloth and spit shine the heel and toe.  The boot turns out great and I've always gotten compliments on how "outstanding" they are (some people think I use Leather Luster :D).  Plus, some people think it takes forever to spit shine.  For a pretty good shine, it takes me a maximum of 10 min. per boot.
Uh, you spend 10 minutes per boot for a halfway decent shine.  You want a mirror-shine (I'm not talking quasi-reflective), it takes a bit more than that.  The good news is that after you've put the time in the first time, you don't have to spend nearly as long afterward to keep a good shine.  It's more of a quick maintenance thing. 

I'm ultra-picky about my uniform, 'specially as of late, so I usually spend quite a bit more time than that.

footballrun21

No, thats only for the quick spit shine of the toe or heel (like if they were already shined and got a tiny scuff in them).  Forgot to add that the first time ;)
New Jersey Wing

Pace

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 14, 2005, 10:26:28 PM

Got a picture of your 10 minute shine?
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

QuoteGot a picture of your 10 minute shine?

Can't get picture to load. Sorry. :(
New Jersey Wing

Chris Jacobs

I believe the ten minute shine.  that is all it takes me to get a really good looking one, or at least to have the best looking boots in the squadron.  if i have recently been on a mission that got my boots dirty it will take me over an hour though.  but if the only thing that i have done to my boots since my last shine was to go to a meeting then all it should really take is 10 minuets if you are good.  it is all in the skill.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

footballrun21

That's what I'm talking about.  The first time/when ther're firty, it takes a lot longer (at least an hour per boot), but if there is jst a little spot or they lost some of their shine, it only takes a few minutes.
New Jersey Wing

NDCS

For what it worth I seen just about every way to shine a boot. Former US Army infantry.
The army required a high brush shine (apply polish and the use brush till boot shines) I use this methold with a mirror shine to heel and toe this only looks good with the cocoran jump boot.
Another idea if you can afford it one set of boots for meetings and on for field duty (SARs camping etc.) ;)
Dean Reiter Col CAP
ND/CC ND001

SarDragon

My boots:

Polished two weeks ago with the two brushes in the Kiwi kit - small round brush to apply polish; large one to buff it out. Mowed the lawn in them Saturday, and then just brushed off the dust.

These were issued by USN in 1988. They last quite a while if you take care of them!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret