Main Menu

ES Badges

Started by Sgt. Savage, August 03, 2007, 07:07:21 PM

Sgt. Savage

Anyone know why there isn't a badge for every ES specialty? Almost seams like MB staff, UDF, Comm people... are they not as valuable as the other ES qualified folks? Just appears inequitable.

Any thoughts?

I think the reason is because some of the specialties over-lap with other areas. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

IceNine

Couple of reasons pop into mind,

Production of 20 more badges...

And there is then the choice of do I spend the money on the badges for the (insert number here) ratings I hold.

I would agree that there should be certain areas that should have badges.  GT, Aero (because they already exist, IC/AL.  Many of the other areas are covered at least to some extent by speciality tracks. 

For instance people who are logistics Techs have a badge, why create a badge that is different simply to say that they are Mission rated LSC's?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SAR-EMT1

As for UDF or MSA etc...  In a nutshell - GTMs are the 'hotshots' of ES and get the badge. Just like observers get a badge and scanners dont.

NOW as for Unit Leaders, Section Chiefs, PIOs and ICs... I can see getting them a badge. - Take the GT badge but insert MB for GT.  - Mission Base
Basic for Unit Leaders and General Staff Officers. Senior for Chiefs, and such. MASTER  for  ICs, Agency Liasons.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

arajca

A couple years ago, I submitted a proposal for an ES Qualifiaction badge system. It was discussed here for a while.

Stonewall

A slight drift but relevant.  Back in 2002 I sent up a letter though my wing proposing a 3-tier system for the EMT badge.  It was denied at the wing level, but found it ironic that a similar program came out a couple years later.  My plan was different, affording more folks the ability to acquire an "EMS badge" as motivation to seek further medical training.

First Responder:  Basic "EMT" badge.
EMT-B/I: Senior "EMT" badge.
EMT-P:  Master "EMT" badge.

Either way, we got the 3 badges now, right?

And back in the day, I had zero skills with photoshop, uploading pictures, scanning, etc., so I did actual cut and pasting on paper and took a picture for a reference image.  I just found that too...

Serving since 1987.

Sgt. Savage

Part of what I have been considering is that some members don't want to be GT, or aircrew; they are Comm people and MB people that are happy doing that. Maybe a Comm badge and a MB badge.

MRO being a basic qual, CUL having a star

Any MB task has a basic badge, Section Chiefs have a star and wreath

Maybe a separate set for IC, AL, and IO with the basic, star and star and wreath denoting level 3, 2, or 1.

Just a thought. I guess it arises from seeing some members training in a specialty with no motivation to complete it. Especially cadets.

davedove

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 06, 2007, 12:04:18 PM
Part of what I have been considering is that some members don't want to be GT, or aircrew; they are Comm people and MB people that are happy doing that. Maybe a Comm badge and a MB badge.

Just a thought. I guess it arises from seeing some members training in a specialty with no motivation to complete it. Especially cadets.

Of course, many people will say that if you're only training to get the "bling" you're not really dedicated enough.

But, I can see the point that if you're going to give some people recognition, you should give it to others.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Sgt. Savage

I was thinking something like this:

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 06, 2007, 04:10:27 PM
I was thinking something like this:

I like the look but it could be quite detailed and not show up as nice in stiching.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

IceNine

Quote from: davedove on August 06, 2007, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 06, 2007, 12:04:18 PM

Of course, many people will say that if you're only training to get the "bling" you're not really dedicated enough.

But, I can see the point that if you're going to give some people recognition, you should give it to others.

Kinda...  Don't forget that in CAP  Bling=Pay.  We often times don't get anything but a handshake for a job well done it't nice to have a piece of metal that we can be proud of for all of the hard work we do.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Sgt. Savage

It's just an example really. I'm just a guy that can manipulate stuff. A good visual artist can make a much better badge depiction, maybe a little more production friendly.

That aside, we have a bazillion Specialty Track badges and few ES badges. ES is where we really make our money and where being real good at it really counts. We should be rewarding all of these efforts with something more than a 101 card.

Hawk200

Why create a specific badge for each ES qual? Seems it would be easier to create an ES badge, with the stipulation that you don't wear it if you get another ES qual that has its own badge. Right now, if you have both a pilot wing, and an observer wing, you can only wear one of those on any one uniform.

Not too hard to carry that over. If you have GES, and get a Ground Team badge, you wear one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Well what about those of  us who are active in more than one?  and should those who are MP's or MO's and also GTM's not wear both as has been the practice?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

IceNine

Personally I agree that you cannot wear a badge for a pre-qual.  What I mean by that is, If you are wearing the LSC Badge you cannot wear Comms as well.  Because it is assumed you are a CUL if you are an LSC.  BUT, 2 different areas should be allowed representation.  GT, and Aircrew, Aircrew and IC, IC and Doughnut supply officer whatever, as long as one badge does not include the other.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ok I see where you're coming from now. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Hawk200

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 06, 2007, 06:18:21 PM
Well what about those of  us who are active in more than one?  and should those who are MP's or MO's and also GTM's not wear both as has been the practice?

I meant only the GES badge would "drop off" if you got a higher qualification. GT and MO are different qualifications with few, if any, overlapping tasks. Pilot, observer, GT, EMT would be the same as the present manner, they are skills with more training involved.

May be a good way to consider higher levels of the badge. GES with one additional qualification gets the basic badge. GES with four of five gets senior. GES with ten gets star and seat ( ;) ).

I don't know, just a few ideas to start the process. Opinions?

Pylon

Somewhat related, the NB did recently authorize the creation of an oddly-designed Incident Commander's badge.  I have yet to see an example in production, however.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

baronet68

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 03, 2007, 07:07:21 PM
Anyone know why there isn't a badge for every ES specialty? Almost seams like MB staff, UDF, Comm people... are they not as valuable as the other ES qualified folks? Just appears inequitable.

Any thoughts?
Maybe I missed something, but what is the purpose for these ES badges?

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

These ES badges are the specialty track for Professional Development

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO