Question about PT uniforms.

Started by Toddpop, October 20, 2016, 03:03:23 PM

Toddpop

Just a quick question about PT uniforms, I was wondering if you can wear hats with the uniforms or not?

Eclipse

There is no "official" CAP PT uniform, so therefore there's no reason you can't wear a hat, unless
the CC or other person in charge indicates otherwise, or your unit happens to have an official PT uniform defined.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

As stated above, there is no uniform. However, there could be a uniform SOP at your unit, which is something to ask the folks at your unit. If you don't know the answer to that already, chances are your unit doesn't have one.

For the CPFT, our cadets are required to wear a black t-shirt, athletic shorts, and athletic shoes. Other articles, such as sweatshirts or hats, must be removed prior to commencing the CPFT and will remain off for its duration. We encourage everyone to bring long athletic pants which can be removed or changed out of/into on days when we are sole in PT attire in case we waive the "uniform."

For other PT activities, such as a game day, or when we have PT exercises during a weekend training event, it is at the discretion of the person-in-charge, but will typically follow the CPFT guidelines. As it gets chilly, we will permit sweatshirts and certain cold weather articles (like gloves) during PT events, but not during the CPFT.

Our CPFT during the warmer season is outdoors and PT belts are worn. During the cold season, we go to the local rec center and stay in "outdoor warm weather" PT gear (shorts/t-shirts as noted above).

I have been to units that conduct PT in colder temperatures, sometimes too cold for my liking, and have seen cadets running with face masks and even one who ran in a snowboarding mask. To me, this is a no-no and would not be permitted at my home unit; however, that's their SOP, not mine, to make.

I also do not permit cadets to run the CPFT in boots; athletic shoes only. There may be other PT events when we are in debloused fatigues, and boots are obviously appropriate, just not during the CPFT. I prefer not to permit head wear just due to the fact that it may fall off or obscure someone's vision during physical activity, outside of field training.

This went way beyond your original question but I wanted to emphasize that how your unit conducts PT is standard operating procedure to your unit.

Sapper168

Do you issue the PT uniform items? 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Fubar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 22, 2016, 01:00:46 AM

Because if you don't issue the uniforms, for free, then you can't require them:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary (such as requiring a specific uniform for participation in a National Cadet Special Activity) or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet.

RMW14

At my squadron, we only require a black t-shirt (that they normally wear with BDU's) to be worn with whatever gym shorts/pants they wear for in-school gym classes. Part of that t-shirt is the cadet's last name on the back. It is provided free of cost by a senior member who's family runs a screen printing business. They donate the supplies and the Senior screen prints the cadet's name on the back. The best part is, the cadets can wear that t shirt under the BDU's and its now dual purpose.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

foo

Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2016, 06:58:32 AM
Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 22, 2016, 01:00:46 AM

Because if you don't issue the uniforms, for free, then you can't require them:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary (such as requiring a specific uniform for participation in a National Cadet Special Activity) or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet.

Your wing may have established an official PT uniform in a supplement to CAPM 39-1. If so, the above is not applicable as the supplement would make the PT uniform a requirement.

rmutchler

Quote from: RMW14 on October 24, 2016, 02:13:09 PM
At my squadron, we only require a black t-shirt (that they normally wear with BDU's) to be worn with whatever gym shorts/pants they wear for in-school gym classes. Part of that t-shirt is the cadet's last name on the back. It is provided free of cost by a senior member who's family runs a screen printing business. They donate the supplies and the Senior screen prints the cadet's name on the back. The best part is, the cadets can wear that t shirt under the BDU's and its now dual purpose.

5.1.1.4. T-Shirt. A black short or long sleeved t-shirt will be worn under the BDU shirt. Unit commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, subject to the approval of the wing commander, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest.