Reflective flag for flight suit

Started by Toth, August 30, 2016, 01:42:26 AM

Toth

Couldn't find anything on this using the search function (I tried), so I thought I'd ask: Does anyone know the difference between the reflective flag (https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-reflective-american-flag-flag) and the normal flag (https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/usa-flag-patch-with-velcro-gold-edge)? Does anyone have the reflective one? Maybe I'm overthinking this...
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Eclipse

The answer is in your question...

(one has retro-reflective thread)

"That Others May Zoom"

Toth

I'd just never seen one before, I realize one is reflective and one isn't, just not sure why we don't use one or the other exclusively on flight suits
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

lordmonar

Quote from: Toth on August 30, 2016, 02:11:48 AM
I'd just never seen one before, I realize one is reflective and one isn't, just not sure why we don't use one or the other exclusively on flight suits
We do......we don't use the reflective one.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

The reflective thread increases the price by 25-50% depending on the vendor (in this case ~25%), and in normal
lighting conditions looks functionally the same.

You could make the argument that it affords some better visibility at night, but CAP doesn't do a lot
of night flight ops.

One nice thing is that the flag will ruin every photo taken with a flash - we had a unit in these parts
that had / has their unit insignia made with reflective thread.  The argument again being "safety".

That resulted in dozens of photos from encampments, SARExs, and similar that we couldn't use because the
flash blasts back like the sun off the patch.

Otherwise I'm generally in favor of anything that affords better visibility.

"That Others May Zoom"