Which are the best uniforms to buy?

Started by flipper, April 11, 2007, 09:17:55 PM

flipper

I see so many different uniforms out there...

What is the best mix of uniforms / cost effective way to get up to speed...

thx

RogueLeader

It depends on several Factors:
Whats your unit? ie Senior, Cadet, Comp.
What is their UODs?
What job do you want? Desk, Feild Air Crew.
Some would say Corprate, some say AF Stlye

I prefer the BDU's and the AF Blue Service.
For me and what I do, it works real well.
For others who don't meet the Weight/Gromming standards, they have to go Corprate.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Best uniforms?

Like Rouge said above, what do you plan on using your uniforms for?  And, more importantly, do you meet the height/weight standards for the Air Force style uniforms?

If you plan on working with cadets and meet the weight requirements, I think should be required to wear the same uniform they wear which is pretty much blues and BDUs.

If you're a ground ES guy, BDUs.  If you're a ground ES guy and don't meet weight requirements, Blue BDUs.

If you're a pilot and never go around cadets, wear a flight suit when you fly and a pair of gray slacks and aviator polo when you don't.

I think it is good practice to wear the Air Force style uniforms if at all possible.  Those are the bread and butter of CAP's uniforms as far as I'm concerned.
Serving since 1987.

stillamarine

I personally would prefer to wear the AF style uniforms. I wore a Marine Corps uniform for 10 years and still wear a uniform (of sorts) for my present day job.

Having said that, at the first meeting I went to for my squadron everyone was wearing the polos and grey slacks. I believe this is the normal uniform for them (judging by the CCs large goatee lol). I don't have a problem with that and will wear what I have to.  I probably will slowly purchase AF style uniforms for when I may transfer to a unit that wears them.

What do yall think is the better place to order from? The Hock or Vanguard? I've seen some intersting views on Vanguard. How is the Hock?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

MattPHS2002

I've ordered from The Hock almost exclusively for about the last 9 years, never had a major issue with them and the one issue I did have was corrected within days. My money is on The Hock but like I said I've use them exclusively.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

Stonewall

I have complaints about the Hock and Vanguard, but more about Vanguard. 

Some stuff I've gotten from The Hock haven't looked quite right, like they got them from a different manufacturer or something.

Vangaurd's site just confuses me.  Makes me want to drink.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Some people swear by The Hock... Others just know better... from experience.  I've only ordered from Vanguard once, and didn't have any issues with my order.
Mike Johnston

Ford73Diesel

DON"T BUY BDU'S FROM THE HOCK! They are definatly cheaper quality. I have a set from them, and no matter how much you iron them, they still look like trash. My other BDU's look 10 times better with less maintenance.

I buy my service uniform (blues) parts form the hock, and dont have a problem with them.

If your looking for a good brand for BDU's, Propper (sp?) is good and they are milspec.

IMHO, USAF uniforms are the best when dealing with the  CP (if you meet the standards) as stated before.

Just my 2 cents ( but I'm a cadet, what do I know? make that 1 cent) ;)

stillamarine

I don't forsee a lot of interaction at this point with cadets, ALTHOUGH we have a composite squadron within the same city.  We are a Senior Squadron, and we do support the other unit.

Eventually I want to move over to a composite or cadet squadron as I love the opportunity to work with todays youth. At that time I would definitely go over to the AF uniform fulltime.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Pylon

Starting out, get both blues and BDUs squared away.  Just the short-sleeved blues and basic BDUs should start you off just fine.

When you get a few extra bucks, spring for the lightweight blues jacket (super vesitile as far as weather and temp goes); next time you've got money burning a hole snag an M-65 field jacket.   You don't need to rush out of the gate getting a full set of everything... service dress, goretex, wolly pullies, and all that jazz.  People usually acquire that stuff with time.

To get started out fairly economically, try www.olcnet.com as well as the above mentioned vendors.  They only offer the clothing, no CAP insignia, but it should get you a set of blues and BDUs for about $75.  Add insignia from Vanguard (even though they're a hassle to deal with, their cloth-based insignia is noticeably better than The Hock's cloth patches, rank, etc.) and you're still probably under $100.

If you plan on flying in CAP, surf eBay for flight suits.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

I always recommend the AF-style uniforms for a couple reasons. Of course there's the one already mentioned about working with cadets. Also, they change much less often. There may be some new optional badge or a patch on or off but the big ticket items are pretty standard for 20+ years at a time. Then if they do change, that'll have the longest transition time due to the cost to cadets. Plus, theres a pretty good chance your Sq has some decent surplus in stock, and we all know free is the best price. You may not actually have much of anythiung in stock as a senior unit that tends not to wear those uniforms, but most units do & you can usually get stuff from them if you need it.

If you can't or refuse to wear the AF-syle for whatever reasons then you are free to choose from the myriad of other options. All of which started out trying to be cheap & simple, but have evolved into more expensive & complicated that the AF-style. Do what you think is most appropriate to your situation, how ever you are defining that.

CadetProgramGuy

MIKE

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 12, 2007, 08:08:10 AM
One word to look for.....

MILSPEC

Shopping at AAFES MCSS solves that problem.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

Quote from: MIKE on April 12, 2007, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 12, 2007, 08:08:10 AM
One word to look for.....

MILSPEC

Shopping at AAFES MCSS solves that problem.
You just have to know the time and place/location.  For my squadron, the nearest AFEES or MCSS is at least 6 hrs away at Offut. sp?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

www.aafes.com is another option.

I have ordered through Camp Dodge PX, and through the Air Guard at the airport.  It may be wise to contact those two places and have them ready for pickup when you are in town for the WTA.

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 12, 2007, 05:36:05 PM
www.aafes.com is another option.

I have ordered through Camp Dodge PX, and through the Air Guard at the airport.  It may be wise to contact those two places and have them ready for pickup when you are in town for the WTA.
I've been to the BX, but I didn't know you could do that. Have to give it a try.
Thank you Sir.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340