Promotion procedure for SM

Started by huey, December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM

rugger1869

I have been in for over a year... I'm still a SM. I asked if I could be promoted 3 times... no response. Our unit has not AE Officer, I requested to take the position (I gots ideas, man!).... nothing. At this point I'm just paying dues until I PCS back stateside. Disappointed, but not surprised.

To be fair, it might help if I was able to go to meetings, but this was discussed with the CC before I joined.

No big deal, really... That extra zero you get in your CAP paycheck after a promotion doesn't make that big of a difference anyway.  ;D

Storm Chaser

It's tough to get promoted if you can't attend meetings. That said, instead of asking for a promotion, find a job you can do from home (unfortunately, it's hard to be an effective unit AEO if you can't attend meetings) and become a contributing member in this way. Once your commander sees that you're helping out the unit, he/she would be more likely to approve your promotion.

rugger1869

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM
It's tough to get promoted if you can't attend meetings. That said, instead of asking for a promotion, find a job you can do from home (unfortunately, it's hard to be an effective unit AEO if you can't attend meetings) and become a contributing member in this way. Once your commander sees that you're helping out the unit, he/she would be more likely to approve your promotion.

I've tried everything... I just get crickets. Like I said, I'm not butt-hurt about it. Folks are busy, squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I ain't there to be all squeaky.

Storm Chaser

If it's not working out for you there, then the best thing you can do is find a different unit. Good luck!

Eclipse

"No response" could literally mean the CC hasn't seen the messages.

Have you asked him in person?  Are you still assigned to Ramstein but no longer there?

"That Others May Zoom"

rugger1869

I've never been at Ramstein, I'm at Graf. They said I could be in the unit and do things distance, there's a small contingent of cadets at Graf, too. The deputy CC was at Graf for a while, but he PCS'd too. I've hit all three of the CC's email addresses, the deputy CC, and the admin guy... no answer. Like I said... not sweating it. I'll be CONUS in 6 months, I just hope they'll transfer me.  ;)

MSG Mac

They don't transfer you. You find a unit at your next destination and upon acceptance of your membership, the new unit initiates the transfer. It's almost automatic in E-Services, unless the outgoing unit has a problem with your leaving the unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

While you're doing your PCS processing try to go by your unit and pick up your records and handcarry them to your new unit.
Makes things much easier for all involved!

huey

To initiate a promotion through E-services you must be a Commander, Deputy, or Personnel Officer.
[/quote]

Right, and I was 2 of the 3.  I could promote others, just not myself.
[/quote]

You're so right!

huey

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2013, 03:17:59 AM
^ A commander should certainly know when someone is coming due for promotion, whether their PD is completed to the appropriate level,
and any typical service or longevity awards.

They should also have been advising those members along the way so that the CAPF24, and the requisite specialty rating isn't treated like a final exam.

Yeah, but what if the CC doesn't care about it; doesn't bring up and follow thru for their staff??
I've personally submited once for another SM long due for the promotion, but the CC was not approved, and no reason provided!

Eclipse

"No reason provided" is, I suppose, the CC's prerogative, but it's also a great way to soon not have members to worry about.

If you don't have the stones for either explaining to your people why they aren't ready to be promoted, to the next echelon why they should,
or to the next echelon why members not ready are being whipped up, you shouldn't be a CC.

I've also said for a long time that promotions should have email nags and timelines.  Members should not be left sitting for months or
years wondering "if or when".   

Perhaps promotions should be considered "approved unless denied" - i.e. if they sit in the CC's queue for "x" without action, they are automatically approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

pascocap2002

The CC can approve or deny the promotion even the member meets all the requirements for promotion. There is no getting around that.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2014, 06:32:07 PM
"No reason provided" is, I suppose, the CC's prerogative, but it's also a great way to soon not have members to worry about.

Perhaps promotions should be considered "approved unless denied" - i.e. if they sit in the CC's queue for "x" without action, they are automatically approved.

I was promotable to Major 4 years ago and my CC refused to submit the paperwork. Finally in 2012 my commander submitted the paperwork for Loening but still did not want to promote me. I ended up changing units and it took 3 days from the time the promotion paperwork was submitted to the time it was recorded in E-Services with the promotion.

That being said, if your promotable and your commander is just flexing their muscles and refusing to promote you, I am sure will not be happy so just save yourself the headache and change units.

If your not being promoted because your commander feels your not active in the squadron but your work forces you to travel, then become active by attending meetings when you can and also attend other squadrons meetings when you in different areas. Never give up on CAP, not even if you CC has given up on you.

CAP gains a lot from its members and promotions help members feel better about what they have accomplished within CAP so keep on your commander and keep helping the program.

pascocap2002

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

This is 100% true!!

Just attend the meetings you can, stay up to date with Safety (you can login to E-Services and take classes there to keep your safety active), and also take some online CAP courses. When you travel, visit other units and show your active in CAP, even if your not able to be active in your unit.