Leather vs Corfam

Started by titanII, January 08, 2012, 04:13:56 PM

Which kind of dress shoes is better: Leather or Corfam?

Leather
25 (80.6%)
Corfam
3 (9.7%)
It depends on how much you pay
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

titanII

This is based off of another thread, there seemed to be some debate over which kind of dress shoes are better. So here's a poll!  :D
No longer active on CAP talk

Brad

Can't really say one is "better" than the other. I have a pair of both and after brushing the dust off and going at it for an hour or so I can get my leathers looking about the same as my corfams...probably better at times when I really work my butt off. Then again that's 12 years of polish and elbow grease on those shoes so YMMV.

Convenience, sure, corfam wins. Grab n' go, with maybe a quick spritz of Windex to clean them up. Aside from that, apples and oranges.

So, not voting! :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Cap'n

I think I heard Corfams cannot be used at Encampments...right? In that case, I would have to go with the leather, unless you can afford to have both kinds.

Owning Corfams would definitely limit the amount of time I spend polishing my shoes though, cant fight that logic... :D

Eclipse

Quote from: Pomegranate on January 08, 2012, 09:59:13 PM
I think I heard Corframs cannot be used at Encampments...right?

News to me.  That would have to be a local activity policy, and one that would be hard to enforce, since we're not allowed to
prescribe any UOD's for cadets that aren't issued by CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

I think I heard Corfams cannot be used at Encampments...right? In that case, I would have to go with the leather, unless you can afford to have both kinds.

Owning Corfams would definitely limit the amount of time I spend polishing my shoes though, cant fight that logic... :D

That's either an urban myth or your Wings' Encampments have ridiculous restrictions on footwear.

Anyways...

Corfams for meetings? Yes.
Leathers for anything Honor Guard/ Wing Function related? Yes.

They both have their places.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Cap'n

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

News to me.  That would have to be a local activity policy, and one that would be hard to enforce, since we're not allowed to

That's probably it. I had heard it from my flight sergeant that he had worn Corfams to the COWG Encampment, and got in trouble for it numerous times, so unless anyone hears of restrictions about it there, I don't know. But it's good to know Corfams are allowed there for future referance.

Cap'n

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 08, 2012, 10:02:30 PM

That's either an urban myth or your Wings' Encampments have ridiculous restrictions on footwear.

Anyways...

Corfams for meetings? Yes.
Leathers for anything Honor Guard/ Wing Function related? Yes.

They both have their places.

I don't know for a fact if that's true about our Encampment or not; most likely not, now that I know it's not a regular rule. Our page on Encampment is blank at the moment, so I can't check, though I might have misinterpreted it or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Pomegranate on January 08, 2012, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

That's probably it. I had heard it from my flight sergeant that he had worn Corfams to the COWG Encampment, and got in trouble for it numerous times, so unless anyone hears of restrictions about it there, I don't know. But it's good to know Corfams are allowed there for future referance.
They were probably giving that cadet a hard time because he has "cheater shoes"
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SPD6696

If corframs are authorized for wear with blues, IAW uniform regulations, why would anyone have both, and why would anyone have a problem with them?  They are designed to be worn with dress uniforms and working blues.  If anyone wants to use the "polishing footwear is character building", well, do it with your boots.  The day I graduated from Marine Corps boot camp, I went straight to the uniform store, bought a pair of corframs, dropped my leathers in the trash, and never looked back.  I wore corframs throughout my entire career in the Marines, Army NG and Air NG.  I also wear them with my PD dress uniform, when needed.  The only beef I have with them is breathability, and the occasional perma-scuff.  If those are issues, I can see wearing leather is better. 
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

SarDragon

I wore Corfams when I started on instructor duty, and hated them. I was on my feet 5-6 hrs a day, and the comfort issue was big. In addition, the short pile industrial carpet seemed to eat the composition soles. When I switched back to leather shoes, with leather soles, the problems went away.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on January 09, 2012, 01:03:58 AM
I wore Corfams when I started on instructor duty, and hated them. I was on my feet 5-6 hrs a day, and the comfort issue was big. In addition, the short pile industrial carpet seemed to eat the composition soles. When I switched back to leather shoes, with leather soles, the problems went away.

YMMV.

Well, if you had been "jellin like a felon", your feet would have been happy.
Seriously, the Dr Sholl's gel inserts do work. :D

AngelWings

Leather shoes all the way. They are much more durable, breathable, and comfortable than corframs, which I am stuck with right now. The leather uniform shoes can be shined to look exactly like the corframs if you spend some time on them. Corframs are really only good for inspections or events where you will be bumping shoulders with big wigs. Also, you can wear leather uniform shoes with regular dress clothes and not look stupid, where as the super shine on the corframs almost never looks good with dress clothes.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on January 09, 2012, 01:35:43 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 09, 2012, 01:03:58 AM

YMMV.

Well, if you had been "jellin like a felon", your feet would have been happy.
Seriously, the Dr Sholl's gel inserts do work. :D

I don't own a single pair of shoes that I wear without insoles. I have narrow feet, and the insoles help them fit properly. The main problem was the breathe-ability. No combination of socks would keep my feet from feeling like I was walking in a swamp.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

"in trouble" several times.

Gee, that sounds just stupid. "complain to cadet about some footwear via made up bogus regulation during a captive audience event that getting something else during isn't really an option if you consider breaking in new shoes part of the problem, that sounds like someone on a power trip who has a need to make themselves feel superior because they can't do it the right way.

Extremepredjudice

I prefer my corfams more than my leathers.

YMMV
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AlphaSigOU

If I remember correctly, AFROTC uniform regs only allow the wear of 'corfams' fo cadets who have completed field training (Professional Officer Course/POC).This rule seems to have "unofficially" filtered down to CAP cadets, especially during an encampment or other special activity.It usually filters down to only encampment staff cadets wearing corfams, while basics wear leather low quarters.

I quit wearing corfams years ago; they look awesome when new, but scuff easily and wear out quicker than regular leather low quarters.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

flyboy53

Having worn Corfams most of my Air Force career, I like them for their ease of care, and I've learned different things to do with the scuffs.

However, my feet sweat and the constant wearing led to other foot problems, so I've kept and continue to wear my original Oxfords that are at times far more durable and confortable...and I've enjoyed shining them to the point where I'd challenge anyone with Corfams.

Al Sayre

I prefer the corofams for office work situations, leather if I'm going to spending time outside as well as inside.  The big plus for corofam's is no polishing, and frankly I'm a firm believer that time is money.  I have better things to do with with my time and money than spend 15-20 mins a week polishing shoes that I only wear once a week.  I follow the practice I've had since my Navy days and have 2 pairs of corofams.  One pair strictly for inspections & formal events, the other pair for daily/general wear.  When they get so dinged up as to be unserviceable, I toss them in the Goodwill bin, get an new inspection pair, and demote my previous inspection pair to regular use.  By the way, a black sharpie will do wonders to cover up the white marks that the corofam's develop, and it's not really noticeable unless you are in very bright lighting conditions.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Private Investigator

Marines wear leather only!   :clap:

NCRblues

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 10, 2012, 02:59:17 AM

Thank god we belong to the AF then....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PHall

Interesting..... How do you explain the Marine Corps Recruiter I saw purchasing a pair of Bates Lights Corfams at the Vandenberg AFB MCSS then.

He sure looked like a Marine!

SPD6696

No.  Marines wear Corfram.  I did for 8 years, and everyone else I knew did, too.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Grumpy

Funny, I go to the uniform sales on Camp Pendleton at least once every other month.  I find it very difficult for find anything other than Corfam.

tsrup

I prefer leather,  because they do form themselves to your feet over time,  making a well broken in pair much more comfortable.  Leather soles can also be repaired by any cobbler shop should you be fortunate to have one nearby.  Corframs tend to be stiffer and less comfortable to me,  however,  that could be chalked up to personal preference.

I did also watch the soles of one cadet's corframs litterally disinigrate with each step at encampment once. By the time she reached the chow hall therewas  nothing left of the bottom of her shoes
Paramedic
hang-around.

HGjunkie

Quote from: tsrup on January 10, 2012, 11:16:12 PM
I prefer leather,  because they do form themselves to your feet over time,  making a well broken in pair much more comfortable.  Leather soles can also be repaired by any cobbler shop should you be fortunate to have one nearby.  Corframs tend to be stiffer and less comfortable to me,  however,  that could be chalked up to personal preference.

I did also watch the soles of one cadet's corframs litterally disinigrate with each step at encampment once. By the time she reached the chow hall therewas  nothing left of the bottom of her shoes

I've seen that happen with dry-rotted boots too.

I've worn the same pair of Corfams for about 3 years now, and they've steadily been morphing to fit my ever-growing feet. Depends on the individual pair I guess.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Al Sayre

Humbug!  I know an awful lot of Marines that wear/wore corofams.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787