Main Menu

Boot regs?

Started by LadyROBOcop, September 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2011, 10:42:20 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 14, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
I don't think I have ever seen split sued boots in black......but I agree...if someone were to find them then they can wear them.

My wing's DC wears them with the Blue field uniform, not my cup of tea, but they look very nice.

Turns out they are US Navy issue for wear with the NWU (authorized only for wear ashore):
http://www1.netc.navy.mil/swos/SWOS_Files/docs/NWUFAQ.doc

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/19848M/0/Mens/9-inch-US-Navy-Suede-DuraShocks-Steel-Toe-Boot?dimensions=0
(They sure ain't cheap, ranging online from $2-300 dollars)
They have a very unique and "flat" appearance, and I'm told they are very comfortable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

They look nice but my new boot budget isn't that big...

Майор Хаткевич

Looks like the basic shape of jungle boots. Since I got mine 8.5 years ago, used, they have been good to me. But they may need replacement soon.

Eclipse

I see a few on eBay under $100, assuming they aren't knock offs.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2011, 02:49:56 PM
I don't think I have ever seen split sued boots in black......but I agree...if someone were to find them then they can wear them.

My wing's DC wears them with the Blue field uniform, not my cup of tea, but they look very nice.

Turns out they are US Navy issue for wear with the NWU (authorized only for wear ashore):

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/19848M/0/Mens/9-inch-US-Navy-Suede-DuraShocks-Steel-Toe-Boot?dimensions=0
They have a very unique and "flat" appearance, and I'm told they are very comfortable.

Those don't meet the reg because they are not smooth or scotch grain leather.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sandman

Quote from: davidsinn on September 15, 2011, 03:45:39 PM

Not a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."
(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Grumpy

Quote from: LadyROBOcop on September 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM
I wanna get new boots because the ones I have were given to me from my unit supply and they are too big. I have small feet and seems I would need a size 6 or 7 regular, the ones I have now are 8. Just want to know if there is any specific "type" other than the 2 listed on vanguard (jungle and leather combat) or if the boots just have to be black. Not looking to spend too much maybe around the $50 range.

Wal-mart has them on sale for $31.00.  8 eyelet, jungle type, blk

Major Lord

It should be crystal clear to anyone in the Cadet Program that boots don't have to be polished, just uniformly black. Cadets love to turn the BDU combo into a garrison uniform, with pressed in seams where none live according to nature, sewn down pocket flaps, cardboard hat stiffeners, and enough starch to make the uniform go up like a white phosphorus grenade in a tank of Avgas. That being said, wear of boots is authorized for wear with the Service Uniform, and you should not wear your snake-bit, scraped and plastic zip ties replacing your laces on side-zip tactical boots. I wear boots with blues during activities like BCS, etc and find them a lot more comfortable for extended wear than low-quarters, but that's the only time I would spend the time to actually polish ( versus clean and re-black) a pair of boots. I maintain two pair: field and garrison. I usually buy mine at Big 5, when their tactical boots go on sale, I stock up.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: sandman on September 15, 2011, 04:28:33 PM

Not a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."
(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)

I wonder what happens to them when you, say, take a trip through a stream, rainstorm, or 8" of snow.

Eclipse

Quote from: sandman on September 15, 2011, 04:28:33 PMNot a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)

Correct - the only person I know who wears them does so with the BBU.  I only posted the photos as an example and Lord mentioned if black sued existed, they'ed be fine.

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 15, 2011, 07:04:22 PM
I wonder what happens to them when you, say, take a trip through a stream, rainstorm, or 8" of snow.
I would imagine your feet get pretty wet and the suede will get stained - not the kind of thing I'd wear in the field rainy conditions, snow, etc.
However on a ramp at an airshow, encampment, or unit meeting, they would fit the bill fine.

Bottom line, boots don't have to be shine-able to be within reg, and using the age-old "shine parties" as the reasoning doesn't fly anymore because the majority of the services are moving away from shine-able boots, as their people have more important things to do with their time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Epic grave dig, but appropriate instead of a new topic. What of someone wanted white laces? Nothing in CAPM39-1 specifies lace color...

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 04:06:30 AM
Epic grave dig, but appropriate instead of a new topic. What of someone wanted white laces? Nothing in CAPM39-1 specifies lace color...

And an atomic wedgie.

But you're correct, the only comment about shoelaces is in regards to the Honor Guard uniform.  Something else to fix, I suppose, in the new rev, if only to negate the conversation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

And convo there is! You specifically sir would go ballistic. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 04:15:16 AM
And convo there is! You specifically sir would go ballistic. :)

I can only imagine.

The argument could be made on a common sense level, or from a regs standpoint that no standard combat boot comes with white laces, etc.,
but the odds are if they showed up that way, they are trying to either make a "statement", or are totally clueless.  Either is going to make
for a long afternoon.

Then there's the other part about a unit CC who let's them wear them that way for meetings, too.

You could also have them talk to a Chief about it.  :clap:

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I wore white ladder-laces in my boots to a meeting one night, WIWAC, just for a reaction check, and, as expected, I was promptly requested to find some black laces. They looked sharp, but were not uniform, so therefore not permitted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

That Anonymous Guy

I wanted to get some boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00814TZ94) that don't polish. Their worm by the Marines in tan and issued to the SEAL candidates at BUDs, made in the USA. What do you guys think?

vento

Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on April 24, 2013, 12:10:40 PM
I wanted to get some boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00814TZ94) that don't polish. Their worm by the Marines in tan and issued to the SEAL candidates at BUDs, made in the USA. What do you guys think?

Looks good to me. A little pricey, but that what's we pay for a good pair of boots. Bates are comfortable.

Storm Chaser

Polishing boots may not be required by regulation, but depending on the boot material (i.e. type of leather) they can look more professional if shined. When I wore black leather boots in the Air Force, it was common to shine them; although in some career fields they were probably not shined as much. When my current Air Force suede boots get dirty or stained, it's really hard to clean them and they don't look good after awhile. I've never had that problem with black leather boots. In fact, I still shine my CAP boots and they always look pretty good.

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: vento on April 24, 2013, 03:18:40 PM
Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on April 24, 2013, 12:10:40 PM

Looks good to me. A little pricey, but that what's we pay for a good pair of boots. Bates are comfortable.
Yeah my last boots were $60 and made in China and haven't even lasted a year. So I figured with two years left in the program these will actually save money.

Devil Doc

I just bought some old Military Black Army Boots at the Army Navy store. Do i wish i had some boots that had the zipper on the side or looks stylish sure. But i got them for like 40 bucks. Boots are boots IMO
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.