Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

goblin

Quote from: Raikkonen on February 09, 2016, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: Goblin on December 11, 2015, 06:21:48 PM

Quote from: winterg on December 11, 2015, 06:16:58 PM
We might as well commence the ABU rodeo. We haven't had one here in a while. Lol

I would even happily give up my beret if it meant CAP dropped all patches when switching to ABU. Rank, tapes, & badges only.

Or you could just give it up regardless.

Nobody is happy with the lack of patches. It's on the the ABUs biggest complaints.

No kidding?  That crap got expensive when it came time to get new uniforms.  Rank x 2, Name, USAF, MAJCOM Patch, Wing patch, Squadron Patch, Specialty Badges, Missile if you had it...  I was delighted when they announced the ABU wouldn't have all of that.  Big waste of money for both the Air Force and the individual.

At least some of those with unit pride. It was another ABU vs FDU argument that we got to keep our unit patches.

Another version of "us vs. them"

PHall

Quote from: Goblin on December 11, 2015, 06:21:48 PM

Quote from: winterg on December 11, 2015, 06:16:58 PM
We might as well commence the ABU rodeo. We haven't had one here in a while. Lol

I would even happily give up my beret if it meant CAP dropped all patches when switching to ABU. Rank, tapes, & badges only.

Or you could just give it up regardless.

Nobody is happy with the lack of patches. It's on the the ABUs biggest complaints.

When the ABU first came out there was much wailing about all of the patches disappearing. The Air Force seems to have adapted. CAP probably will too.

Raikkonen

At least some of those with unit pride. It was another ABU vs FDU argument that we got to keep our unit patches.

Another version of "us vs. them"
[/quote]

I believe you can still display unit pride and not have patches sewn all over your uniform.  The Squadron patch was fine with me but more than likely everyone on your base was in the same MAJCOM and Wing so those patches were unnecessary spending. 

billford1

I haven't kept up with this thread so I don't know what has developed since an earlier decision was not to go forward with the ABU. Has something changed? Is CAP really going to go forward with the ABU ?   

lordmonar

A proposal is on the table. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on February 15, 2016, 03:27:58 AM

Translation: three to five years to make it through approval from all stages.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 15, 2016, 12:40:24 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 15, 2016, 03:27:58 AM

Translation: three to five years to make it through approval from all stages.

And by then the Air Force may be in a different uniform.

MacGruff

Our Wing Commander came to one of our Group Staff Meetings and stated that one of the changes he expects to see due to the move of CAP to 1st Air Force is that CAP uniforms will be changing to ABUs. The timeline he suggested was "very soon" and that it will not have a long transition period. Supposedly the Air Force folks were asking "why are you in BDUs?"

Whether this came to him from above, or are his own speculations, I do not know.

Let's get more rumors going?!?!?!

>:D >:D >:D

Garibaldi

Quote from: MacGruff on February 15, 2016, 03:07:08 PM
Our Wing Commander came to one of our Group Staff Meetings and stated that one of the changes he expects to see due to the move of CAP to 1st Air Force is that CAP uniforms will be changing to ABUs. The timeline he suggested was "very soon" and that it will not have a long transition period. Supposedly the Air Force folks were asking "why are you in BDUs?"

Whether this came to him from above, or are his own speculations, I do not know.

We also are going with ABU nametapes and grade insignia and sage green boots. AF Airmen WILL have to salute us, and the AF is making sure CAP is recognized by airmen worldwide by giving them recognition training during BMT. This will be done by 2017.

This is all part of the Total Force movement. By 2020, we will be given training in such support roles as in-flight refueling, combat SAR, cross training into MH-53s that the Air Force is retiring, and air-ground coordination with C-130 crews for regular inland SAR. Our ground teams will receive the same training as pararescue.

Total Force FTW!

JeffDG

Quote from: MacGruff on February 15, 2016, 03:07:08 PM

I heard the same thing from the Wing Commander's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Гугл переводчик

Don't forget, our "rangers" will wear the Army Ranger tab as well as authorization for Multicam  >:D
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Garibaldi

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on February 15, 2016, 03:51:47 PM
Don't forget, our "rangers" will wear the Army Ranger tab as well as authorization for Multicam  >:D

Only if you complete Ranger training and earn the tab. Or complete Hawk Mountain. Either way.

billford1

I'm hoping the AF will provide the ABU to Cadets.  I'd buy one for my Cadet but we've had a few Cadets that would be hard pressed to buy their own.

Fubar

Quote from: billford1 on February 16, 2016, 01:27:02 AM
I'm hoping the AF will provide the ABU to Cadets.  I'd buy one for my Cadet but we've had a few Cadets that would be hard pressed to buy there own.

The Air Force has certainly been generous with funding lately (see CEAP), and they do chip in for uniforms that are needed for encampment.

USACAP

At a time the USAF is on the verge of dumping the ABU in favor of the OCP the Army's wearing ...??
The ABU is certainly the worst and least practical uniform ever fielded by the US military.
Was never intended to be worn in anything resembling a field environment.
Interesting.

lordmonar

Bull.   On all counts.   But there you go.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: USACAP on February 17, 2016, 03:52:49 AM
At a time the USAF is on the verge of dumping the ABU in favor of the OCP the Army's wearing ...??
The ABU is certainly the worst and least practical uniform ever fielded by the US military.
Interesting.

Cite from a valid source?  I can tell you that is false on all accounts. 

THRAWN

Interesting.

That distinction belongs to the ACU.

And not to sound broken recordish, where are you getting your info from?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 17, 2016, 04:24:33 AM
Interesting.

Cite from a valid source?  I can tell you that is false on all accounts.

I was going to say. the number of times I've heard "ABU is going away! (Pick One: [Congress|The Chief of Staff|My Air Guard Buddy|The Homeless guy in from of McDonalds]) said so!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

I wonder who and when this was added to the ABU wiki page:

QuoteThe Air Force's auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, has wear-tested the ABU in late 2015, but no adoption date has been announced.