Rolling over to the SM Side

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 30, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I received a call from my unit commander and he let me know that due to some ongoing discussion regarding true force representation, I may at some point be bumped to 000 or Patron status.

Not a problem at all, I've been gone from active participation for two years and probably will be gone for two more while I finish up college. However, due to the possibility, I've decided that I might as well move over to the SM side now, so that I don't have to worry about it come February and my birthday when I'll be away from the unit and back to classwork.

That said, I've taken the Level I quizzes (total of 6, correct?), and will be bringing those with me to the unit when I get my fingerprinting and other stuff done.

I've also taken the Yeager test - passed. :)

What other tests are SMs required/should take?

P.S. As my signature shows, I have the Earhart, so there's some benefit regarding Cadet Programs PD.

AlphaSigOU

Make sure you have the other requirements taken care of: CPPT, EO and ORM Basic. Also make sure your commander or PDO gets you credit for the Tech rating in CP and the Yeager.

Since you are under 21, once you've completed Level I you're eligible for TFO, which converts to 1st Lt after you turn 21.

Sign up for the CAP Officer Basic Course and take SLS/CLC whenever it's offered. And don't forget TLC, since it's required for a senior rating in CP.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

EMT-83

Check CAPR 50-17, Section 9.

As an Earhart cadet, you may be in pretty good shape.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 30, 2010, 02:42:50 PM
Make sure you have the other requirements taken care of: CPPT, EO and ORM Basic. Also make sure your commander or PDO gets you credit for the Tech rating in CP and the Yeager.

Since you are under 21, once you've completed Level I you're eligible for TFO, which converts to 1st Lt after you turn 21.

Sign up for the CAP Officer Basic Course and take SLS/CLC whenever it's offered. And don't forget TLC, since it's required for a senior rating in CP.

CPPT was done back in 08, when I turned 18. EO and ORM Basic is on the list. COBC will probably get on the list once I roll over, as it's online. SLS/CLC may wait until I re-engage post college, but we'll see. Same for TLC.

exFlight Officer

Good decision coming over to the dark side. You get a pair of light sabres on your collar like me  >:D   I'm a TFO and will be SFO in January.

ßτε

As a Mitchell cadet, you are exempt from the Foundations portion of Level I. You already have CPPT, and I assume OPSEC. The only thing left is Equal Opportunity (EO). You do that online. If you have all of these done before you submit your CAPF 12 and fingerprint card, NHQ should update your record when your application is processed. (Note: ORM basic is not part of Level I.)

As an Earhart cadet, you are eligible for a Tech rating in CP. See CAPR 50-17 para. 9-1.

You are also eligible for a grade of TFO until you turn 21.  Note that this is at the discretion of the SQ/CC. See CAPR 35-5 Section G.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bte on July 30, 2010, 04:48:14 PM
(Note: ORM basic is not part of Level I.)

When did that happen??? I remember very very vividly doing ORM when I did Level 1 not a year ago...

Майор Хаткевич

As a Mitchell cadet, you are exempt from the Foundations portion of Level I. You already have CPPT, and I assume OPSEC. The only thing left is Equal Opportunity (EO). You do that online. If you have all of these done before you submit your CAPF 12 and fingerprint card, NHQ should update your record when your application is processed. (Note: ORM basic is not part of Level I.)

As an Earhart cadet, you are eligible for a Tech rating in CP. See CAPR 50-17 para. 9-1.

You are also eligible for a grade of TFO until you turn 21.  Note that this is at the discretion of the SQ/CC. See CAPR 35-5 Section G.

Foundations...as in the 6 little quizzes I took? I knew it! Just didn't look it up before printing it out. You have a cite for it? Save some time for the SMs processing this, and myself at the meeting.

lordmonar

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 30, 2010, 02:33:04 PMThat said, I've taken the Level I quizzes (total of 6, correct?), and will be bringing those with me to the unit when I get my fingerprinting and other stuff done.

I've also taken the Yeager test - passed. :)

What other tests are SMs required/should take?

P.S. As my signature shows, I have the Earhart, so there's some benefit regarding Cadet Programs PD.
As a cadet you don't have to do the foundations course at all.  You are over 18 I assume so you have already had CPP.  I think all you have to do is drop your application and fingerprint card and you are set.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 30, 2010, 05:51:04 PM
You have a cite for it?

CAPR 35-5

"3.7. Former CAP Cadets. Upon reaching age 21, former CAP cadets who reached certain levels of achievement in the CAP cadet program are eligible for appointment to the senior member officer grades outlined in figure 5. (See figure 8 for grades authorized former cadets under age 21). NOTE: These members are exempt from the foundations portion of Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program provided they have less than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming senior member status. The CPPT and OPSEC portions must be completed prior to any promotion action."

I assume it doesn't need to be "active" membership, and your patron status won't affect this.

Майор Хаткевич

Ok, so all I have to do is EO and ORM to be all set...to go back to inactivity as a SM.

EMT-83

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 30, 2010, 05:46:55 PM

When did that happen??? I remember very very vividly doing ORM when I did Level 1 not a year ago...
You may have done it at the same time, but it isn't included in Level 1.

ßτε

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 30, 2010, 05:51:04 PM

Foundations...as in the 6 little quizzes I took? I knew it! Just didn't look it up before printing it out. You have a cite for it? Save some time for the SMs processing this, and myself at the meeting.

Another source is CAPR 50-17 para. 3.1a

QuoteCAP allows exceptions for the following:
a. Former CAP cadets transferring to senior member status, provided they earned the Mitchell Award or higher and have less than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming senior member status. However, they still must complete Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT) and OPSEC training (if not already completed), as well as EO Training. In this case, units must notify NHQ CAP/PMM with substantiating documentation. A fingerprint card must also be submitted to NHQ CAP/DPP at the time of application for senior membership.

lordmonar

ORM is a requirement for everyone....not just Level I.  New members should get it as part of their Level I training or Curry Acheivement.  But technically it is not part of either one of those.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on July 30, 2010, 07:27:17 PM
I assume it doesn't need to be "active" membership, and your patron status won't affect this.

Patron status is considered active membership, but you are not allowed to wear the uniform or attend normal activities.   There's some other caveats that I cannot remember at the moment, but it's all in the regs.

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 31, 2010, 05:25:52 AM
Is this the EO "test/briefing"? https://tests.cap.af.mil/EO_Training/EOTraining.cfm

How to I substantiate doing it?

You have to log in with your last name and CAPID. When you finish, it will retain completion and put it in the system. I just tried to take it again, and it told me I had already completed it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Ok, looks like it works.

How many questions is ORM basic?
QuoteBasic Operational Risk Management (ORM) Test 
Congratulations!                           
Your grade is 100.0%                               
Outstanding work!

ßτε

Quote from: lordmonar on July 30, 2010, 10:09:27 PM

ORM is a requirement for everyone....not just Level I.  New members should get it as part of their Level I training or Curry Acheivement.  But technically it is not part of either one of those.

I can't seem to find the source for this requirement. Can you help me find it?

spacecommand