Cadet Staff Position = Squad Leader

Started by abysmal, March 12, 2005, 09:32:56 PM

abysmal

Question:

Which is correct.?
Squad Leader or Element Leader.
The regulations are in direct conflict with each other on this.

CAP REGULATION 20-1 (E)
Organization and Mission  General
ORGANIZATION OF CIVIL AIR PATROL
This regulation establishes the organization structure of Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and position descriptions at all levels. It applies to all CAP units. Note: Shaded areas identify new or revised material.
PART IV-CADET POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
Pages 44-48

Cadet Squad Leader
Responsible for the supervision and training of the cadet squad, to include:
Satisfactory performance during formations and ceremonies.
Military bearing.
Morale.
The cadet squad leaders should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-14.

OR....

CAP REGULATION 52-16 (E)
1 APRIL 2003
Cadet Programs
CADET PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
1-2. CADET ORGANIZATION AND STAFF
a. The cadet staff is part of the organizational structure shown in CAPR 20-1, Organization of Civil Air Patrol.
Although the squadron is the basic unit of CAP, it may be subdivided into flights and each flight may be subdivided
into a maximum of four elements. An element leader commands each element and the flight has a flight commander,
flight sergeant and a guide.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

Element Leader and Assistant Element Leader is the current USAF term per AFMAN 36-2203 Drill & Ceremonies... Also CAPR 20-1 of 29 May 2000 predates CAPR 52-16 of 1 April 2003.
Mike Johnston

Horn229

I'd go with Element Leader, seeing as how the 52-16 is newer, and refer to the 20-1 for the details of what the position entails.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2005, 09:39:50 PM
Element Leader and Assistant Element Leader is the current USAF term per AFMAN 36-2203 Drill & Ceremonies... Also CAPR 20-1 of 29 May 2000 predates CAPR 52-16 of 1 April 2003.

Hmm
As a rule I would go with your line of though.
Except that CAPR 52-16 derives it's authority from CAPR 20-1.

Whats the date on AFMAN 36-2203 ?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

abysmal

Pylon

When regulations contradict themselves, where do CAP members go?  The Knowledgebase!   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on March 12, 2005, 11:09:57 PM
When regulations contradict themselves, where do CAP members go?  The Knowledgebase!   ;D

And it is the Knowledgebase that told me it was SQUAD LEADER to begin with, and my Cadets that told me I was in error.

MIKE

Lets throw this into the mix.

Quote from: LEADERSHIP: 2000 AND BEYOND - Second Edition Vol. I Chp. 2. Pg. 21You are now ready to accept the responsibility of an assistant element leader,
if you are assigned that position. Three to eight people make up an element. Your
primary responsibility is to help the element leader, and to take charge when the
element leader is absent. You also help train the element. Your element leader may ask
you to check attendance, ensure element members take their tests on time, or train new
cadets on drill or customs and courtesies. Remember, you are still learning, too. Don't
be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand what you are told to do.

Edit: Dated June 2004 Chris.  ;D
Mike Johnston

abysmal

The Airforce is using Element, and the most current publications that relate to that position use "element", so I think its probably safe to go with the term "Element" and just sigh over the fact that our regulations are in need of editing.