Civil Air Patrol League, Inc.

Started by jimmydeanno, March 14, 2008, 04:06:04 PM

jimmydeanno

In my box of treasures (http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4519.0) I found a "Membership Application" for the Civil Air Patrol League, Inc.

I have never heard of this organization and was curious if any of the members here had an idea of what it was.  I have been searching on the Internet for close to an hour now and have only come across what looks like one resource. (Robert H. Hinkley Papers, Inventory - I have a request to get a copy of the manuscript.)

The membership application is 3X5 and says:

Membership Application

Civil Air Patrol League, Inc.
545 Fifth Ave., New York 17, N. Y.

Enclosed find one year's dues in the following class of membership (check one):
Sponsor       $100                   *CAP Member                    $3
Sustaining   $25                     *CAP Cadet member         $1
Regular        $5                       *For CAP senior members and cadets only.

CAP status, if any:    senior member _____________;  cadet member___________________
Name  ______________
Street No. ___________________________
City ___________________________ Postal Zone _________________ State ____________________

League dues are tax deductible.

Please send check or money order; do not mail cash.

Does anyone have any information?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

I would imagine a national fundraiser.  They probably got the old CAP Newspaper as a dues paying league member.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 14, 2008, 06:02:36 PM
I would imagine a national fundraiser.  They probably got the old CAP Newspaper as a dues paying league member.

I don't know about that though, one of the references I found mentioned 1944 - when was the first CAP newspaper? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

fireplug

ZIP Codes were introduced in 1963, so "New York 17, NY" is prior to that.

mikeylikey

Quote from: fireplug on March 14, 2008, 08:30:13 PM
ZIP Codes were introduced in 1963, so "New York 17, NY" is prior to that.

Nice catch!  My attention to detail really sucks   ;D

I do believe the first national CAP PAO mailings started in '43.  Anyone know the dates when CAP NHQ was located in New York City?  Then we probably can determine when this is from....
What's up monkeys?

fireplug

Col Blascovich, the Nat'l Historian, and NYW member, should know.
len_b@ix.netcom.com

jimmydeanno

I just found a document that sheds some light on this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CIVIL AIR PATROL
AUXILIARY ARMY AIR FORCES
HEADQUARTERS N. H. WING
Room 401 - 3 CAPITOL ST.
CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE

16 March 1945

Subject:  New Hampshire Wing Dinner, Hotel Carpenter, Manchester, N.H.,

To        :  All Unit Commanders

1.  Saturday, 31 March, following Review and Inspection, your Wing will give a dinner for the purpose of launching the Civil Air Patrol League in New Hampshire.

2.  Mr. Frank Tichenor, President of the League, and Colonel Johnson will be the principal speakers.  Governor Charles M. Dale, and many prominent citizens of the State are included in the invitation list of honored guests.

3.  In as much as the Civil Air Patrol League has as its primary purpose the furnishing of aid and financial assistance to the different Wings of CAP, it is of the greatest importance that we have a large representation of the Officers and Personnel of the different Units present.

4.  Because the League is operating for the benefit of all Civil Air Patrol, it behooves each Unit Commander to encourage all adult members of his Command to join the League.  This operation is not unduly painful as the CAP Membership Dues are only $3.00 whereas sponsoring members, of who there are many, are paying $100.00.

5.  For your convenience two of the available membership applications are enclosed.  More will be sent to you shortly.

6.  It will be a fitting gesture of our support, if at the dinner we can turn in a large number of these applications to Mr. Tichenor.

7.  Tickets for the dinner are $3.00 each and a reservation form is included for your use.

JOHN F. BROWN
Lt. Colonel, CAP
Commanding N. H. Wing

cnitas

I found some info on this in an old manual (copied):

The Civil Air Patrol League

Groups of leading citizens throughout the country have organized the Civil Air Patrol League.  It's members have in common an enthusiasm for aviation, great hopes for its future, and, in particular, a belief in the value of early aviation training.  Many of them have volunteered to devote time and effort to making the CAP cadet training program an outstanding success.

At the head of the league are 2 committies.  One decides what the organization's national policies will be.  The other, an executive committie, guides and assists cadet training activities of Civil Air Patrol, and administers funds for that purpose.

In addition, it is expected that there will be an executive committie in each state.  Its purpose will be to work with both the state's CAP organization and the national body in carrying out approved policies.

Influential, air-minded citizens of cities, towns, and communities may form local committies to develop and guide CAPC flights and squadrons.  these committies will be responsible for raising and using funds for this purpose in their communities, according to approved state and national policies.

Men and women who have volunteered for these committie posts were not chosen simply because they are members of CAP.  Their work cannot be measured alone by their contribution to wartime flying.  They work, too, for the better civilian and commercial aviation with the coming of peace. 
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003