Main Menu

ABUs

Started by MadGrak, September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 04:51:53 PM
How ridiculous is it that we have to "buy" rights to use our own uniform?

No, they have to buy the rights to the pattern, which was developed by a private company and they copyrighted/patented it.  I'm not saying its right, but every time you see a rucksack or similar piece of gear in Multicam, the "Crye Tax" is the reason its $25-40 more than its black/coyote/UCP/Sage counterparts.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 12, 2013, 04:59:13 PM

No, they have to buy the rights to the pattern, which was developed by a private company and they copyrighted/patented it.  I'm not saying its right, but every time you see a rucksack or similar piece of gear in Multicam, the "Crye Tax" is the reason its $25-40 more than its black/coyote/UCP/Sage counterparts.

I understand, but that's my point - I don't care about private sales, but the adoption should have come with lifetime rights or similar. Eisenhower was right.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 05:02:35 PM
I understand, but that's my point - I don't care about private sales, but the adoption should have come with lifetime rights or similar. Eisenhower was right.

Oh yeah, no doubt.  Poor negotiation on someone's part.

But you gotta figure they're not stupid.

"Lets see, $2.5Bn in uniforms = $400M in licensing revenue for us.  If you want non-exclusive rights, thats fine. We'll give you a hell of a deal: $395M and not a petty less."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GroundHawg

Quote from: NIN on November 12, 2013, 04:59:13 PM

Crye Tax! Love it!... That's what I'm going to be calling it at my shop. When my customers complain why multicam/ATACS/Kryptek is so much more expensive than other patterns or solids, Crye Tax. I hate explaining the whole trademark issue thing. I have lots of folks buying OD Digital aka MARPAT because it is so much cheaper than any other camo pattern.

Patterson

Just a quick question: did the Air Force approve the CAP request for ABUs when they approved the CAP NCO request??

TexasCadet

ABUs? No way! Try these instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Force-Pink-Camouflage-Pants/dp/B004H1X0BY

Guaranteed, wearers will be seen on ES missions.

Quote from: Patterson on November 12, 2013, 09:05:48 PM
Just a quick question: did the Air Force approve the CAP request for ABUs when they approved the CAP NCO request??
No, we can't wear ABUs.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Do you honestly think that such an approval is going to just slip out and not get noticed by more than say .. 3 people, who will go "oh, that's nice.."? ;)

This forum is going to light up like a flare factory on testing day.

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 11, 2013, 07:29:51 PM
I never would buy a $200 pair of boots. Just making a joke. ;D

The boots I wear to climb telephone poles cost over $200. Red Wings aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

TexasCadet

Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2013, 01:11:42 AM

The boots I wear to climb telephone poles cost over $200. Red Wings aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Why do you need special boots for climbing telephone poles? I thought those little rungs on the side were to help with climbing. Unless, of course, they're not and I'm mistaken.

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 13, 2013, 01:54:13 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2013, 01:11:42 AM

Why do you need special boots for climbing telephone poles? I thought those little rungs on the side were to help with climbing. Unless, of course, they're not and I'm mistaken.

Not all poles are stepped.  And try standing on a pair of pole steps for more then say 5 minutes or so.
You'll quickly understand the reason for steel shanks in climbing boots. So your toes won't be touching your heels... :o

SarDragon

Only  wussies climb the rungs.  ;) Real climbers wear spikes, and they tend to tear up boots. The rungs also tear up boots. Either way, cheap boots don't provide the necessary arch support.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2013, 02:35:59 AM
Only  wussies climb the rungs.  ;) Real climbers wear spikes, and they tend to tear up boots. The rungs also tear up boots. Either way, cheap boots don't provide the necessary arch support.

If you're climbing in a semi-civilized way Dave, you won't tear up your boots!  We don't climb lumberjack style!
Which is why I can still hook poles at 57 years old.

swanny

Quote from: a2capt on November 12, 2013, 11:59:47 PM
Do you honestly think that such an approval is going to just slip out and not get noticed by more than say .. 3 people, who will go "oh, that's nice.."? ;)

This forum is going to light up like a flare factory on testing day.

I love your analogy. Thanks for the laugh...

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2013, 04:12:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2013, 02:35:59 AM

If you're climbing in a semi-civilized way Dave, you won't tear up your boots!  We don't climb lumberjack style!
Which is why I can still hook poles at 57 years old.

I live in a rural area. Most of the poles out here are your standard rungless wooden poles.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

Not a subscriber. Won't show me the article with that link.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2013, 10:03:15 AM
Not a subscriber. Won't show me the article with that link.

Dang it!! It was an open article last night, they must have restricted it overnight...

I shall try and find it unrestricted someplace.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

You're the second one to post that link, and it was subscriber only previously, too. If it was real news, it would be available other places.