USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

Eclipse

This is all rumor, conjecture, unconfirmed sources, and innuendo, but with that said, appears to
be happening, and I'm sure some of you in the active and reserve forces have heard similar.

An increasing number of specialties are posting in various places that they have transitioned to, or
are authorized to wear OCP.  For those of you with less free time, OCP (Operational Camouflage Pattern)
is the new(ish) field uniform camo pattern now being worn by the Army and other forces deployed in
middle-eastern combat areas since about 2015.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_Camouflage_Pattern

While originally characterized as "only for those deploying, and only in theater", it has crept in stateside and you
occasionally see it on various bases even for those not deploying.

The CMSAF has been quoted in a recent "All Call" at Wright Patt, verified by others who were there, that the USAF 2017 uniform
board would be recommending OCP for all personnel, and I have now seen several un-attributable rumor-mill sources that other CMS's are offhandedly
making statements that all hands would be in OCP by 2019. (Which is a reasonable timeline for a recommendation made this FY).
As of writing this the FY2017 Uniform board's recommendations have not been made public.

The general sentiment as far as I can tell is "good riddance", though there are always those who prefer "now", vs., "next", and
some are not excited about the idea of many patches coming back to the USAF.

So, I want to get in on the pool early...

My bet is that by the time CAP completes its overly extended transition to ABUs in 2021, the USAF will no longer be wearing them,
which would top the new list of "typical CAP".

Discuss, deny, decry, or snicker...

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

You, Mister, are on the verge of initiating our next CAP big dilemma...

When will CAP authorize OCP for its members?

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

There are some AFSC's CONUS that wear OCP's daily.  Some of these are EOD, SF (currently only missle cops), CCT/PJ, JTAC, TAACP, and I have heard those assigned to AFSOC (nothing than hearsay on that).  So yes there are some members of the AF who wear OCPs on a daily basis CONUS. 

Personally, I can care less I am on the down hill slope to retirement and wont matter much to me anyway. 

CyBorgII

I saw an Army Staff Sergeant wearing them in McDonalds a couple of weeks ago.  Not sure if he was AD or Guard, but I'm going to guess Guard because Michigan has no active duty military facilities to my knowledge, except for USCG.  All others are reserve component of some kind; ie Camp Grayling and Selfridge ANGB.

They actually remind me of the Flecktarn camouflage worn by the German Bundeswehr except the colours aren't as vivid.

Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

EMT-83

Jester

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2017, 09:09:27 PM
There are some AFSC's CONUS that wear OCP's daily.  Some of these are EOD, SF (currently only missle cops), CCT/PJ, JTAC, TAACP, and I have heard those assigned to AFSOC (nothing than hearsay on that).  So yes there are some members of the AF who wear OCPs on a daily basis CONUS. 

Personally, I can care less I am on the down hill slope to retirement and wont matter much to me anyway.

820th is wearing them CONUS. It's possible that's because it's easier for the unit to replace if they get trashed in the field. At least that's why we wore DCUs stateside back in the day.

I assume CRGs are as well but I'm not sure. I think Desert Defender cadre may have them going by their Facebook page.

I think they're coming and within the next 2-3 years.

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on July 24, 2017, 12:03:24 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2017, 09:09:27 PM

820th is wearing them CONUS. It's possible that's because it's easier for the unit to replace if they get trashed in the field. At least that's why we wore DCUs stateside back in the day.

I assume CRGs are as well but I'm not sure. I think Desert Defender cadre may have them going by their Facebook page.

I think they're coming and within the next 2-3 years.

CRGs are not wearing OCPs CONUS.  And as stated before some AFSCs are but the AF as a whole are not.  There are already issues with obtaining them so they will not be coming AF wide anytime soon.

PHall

The units that work with the Army on a daily basis seem to be the one's wearing the OCP stateside. Of course they were the ones who wore the ACU too.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

I was headed up to encampment graduation this morning,  stopped at the local truck fuel place to get gas,  and one of the units from an armory up north was headed out for AT and stopped for potty / fuel. 50/50 mix of soldiers in ACU and OCP.

(I didn't expect a rain of salutes walking out of the gas station with my coffee,  either)

The army is definitely on it's way to OCP, ACU is out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Nick

My money is that AF is transitioning pretty consistent with Eclipse's timeline based on the rumor mills I hear, and CAP will get a hefty stock of surplus ABUs and will not be authorized to transition to OCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

PHall

Of course you would be hard pressed to provide a realistic need for the Air Force to be in camouflage in the first place, at least in CONUS.
When you deploy it's a different story, but that's why you have Deployment Bags. But in CONUS the Air Force could easily do it's job in Blue BDU's.
Just sayin'.

Mustang

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 23, 2017, 06:58:15 PM
You, Mister, are on the verge of initiating our next CAP big dilemma...

When will CAP authorize OCP for its members?

>:D

Since you haven't detected the pattern: right about the time USAF transitions to something else.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2017, 03:27:57 AM
Of course you would be hard pressed to provide a realistic need for the Air Force to be in camouflage in the first place, at least in CONUS.
When you deploy it's a different story, but that's why you have Deployment Bags. But in CONUS the Air Force could easily do it's job in Blue BDU's.
Just sayin'.

This actually mirrors my thoughts about the Navy's version of a camouflage uniform for work aboard ships.  While I do understand some of the "whys and wherefores" (stains from oils, etc., don't show up as much), I've never been able to wrap my head around why the Navy would choose a BLUE camouflage uniform.  I mean, if you fall overboard, don't you WANT somebody to see you??

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

that's going away
My former sq commander's wife is a new Navy ensign. She started her Navy career in the blue camo less than a year ago. 

She just got the *new* new camo.  The green - based one

And she's a surface warfare officer,  not a snipe or some on-shore duty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Since you haven't detected the pattern: right about the time USAF transitions to something else.

Ohh, I know the pattern. I was just introducing the topic that half of those posting about uniforms and uniform changes ends asking about. They are the ones that do not know the pattern.

She just got the *new* new camo.  The green - based one

Nin, kelp and other algae are green... that's why the Navy camo...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

deepblue1947

I guess I just keep it simple.  Wear the Dark Navy BDU's and go on.  I could care less about which Camo pattern they choose.

MG

zippity

What is this common-sense posting you're bringing in here? You must be new. :D

deepblue1947

Hi Zippity, that got me to laughing.  Yes I have been in CAP for a year but am an old Air Force veteran from the Vietnam era.  I guess which Camo pattern is going to be authorized for CAP wear is important to some folks but I just found it simpler and more economical to narrow the choices of uniforms to the basics.  Maybe my age has something to do with as I will be 70 in December and I don't sweat this kind of stuff.  I thought the 1505 and 1549 uniforms back in the day were fine and comfortable but eventually the Air Force phased them out for something new and better. 

MG

Holding Pattern

I actually prefer having cadets in ABUs. It makes them easier to spot.