New CAP Member Appointed to Advisor to the Commander

Started by greenmountainboy, December 18, 2014, 06:37:11 AM

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on December 18, 2014, 09:09:45 PM
As someone who recently held this highly esteemed position, I would say it is generally viewed as a place to put
members who don't want any particular job, but still want to pretend they are helping run the show. Frankly I was embarrassed
to be posted that way, and others from my peer group would avert their gaze when I entered a room.  I was the unclean,
the used up, one who has no soul...a ginger...

The key here is to always be visibly behind the commander with a clipboard, walking around silently, except to whisper to the commander.  This will make people nervous and make them wonder what secret powers you have.

greenmountainboy

Eclipse,

I got the idea that Advisor to the Commander was reserved to REGION and WING because I noticed it in Chain of Command structures I saw posted by WINGS in various states.  I am still learing and will continue to learn through my time in CAP.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to be anything in CAP.  I would be happy to clean toilets and would be the first to volunteer or just do it if it needed to be done.

I have found a duty/position and have been appointed which is Communications Officer.  We are starting from scratch at our location and fixing the other location in our Senior Flight so it will be an important duty/position. 

JC004

I like your idea and will implement just such Modus Operandi at our next meeting!  I found that pointing will get everyones attention also!  Pointing, whispering and scribbling on a pad could cause the whole flight to immediately complete their required basic training and safety currency.

JC004

You're right.  It's usually used by wings and regions - it's just not a rule.  It has probably become more used by subordinate units since it was entered into e-Services duty positions.  I don't remember it being shown on the squadron charts in previous editions of CAPR 20-1. 

In general, I enjoy mostly behind the scenes work, and watching something come together while I hide off-stage.  I've noticed people wonder at times what secret powers I have because they know I'm up to something and they see me coordinating "something," but they aren't quite sure, because I'm mostly assembling it all behind the scenes, and when showtime comes, I usually just observe and take notes (generally on what to improve for next time).

I've run into some of my secret work recently, hunting around for updated CAP resources.  I've been pleased to see it in the wild, adapted locally, expanded by others, etc.  But pretty much nobody knows it was my secret powers behind it.   >:D

Recently, I've been using my ZuluWorks kneeboard for many of my secret notes.  You can ask if they still give CAP member discounts (http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2005/11/discount_on_zul.html).  Metal clipboards with a storage compartment also look very secret squirrel.    >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Is what is being talked of here a CAP equivalent to an "adjutant" or an "aide-de-camp?"  I did not know such a thing existed in CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on December 19, 2014, 07:14:17 AM
Is what is being talked of here a CAP equivalent to an "adjutant" or an "aide-de-camp?"  I did not know such a thing existed in CAP.
No...not really.

20-1 does not mention much at all.

It is really just anything you want it to mean.

At my squadron I'm the "adviser to the commander" because a) as the former commander...that's what I do, b) they don't have "first sergeant" or "Squadron NCO" or what ever we are going to call it in E-services yet.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Aviation units run on a Table of Equipment organizational format rather then the Table of Organizatio. Manning table  used in ground forces. This gives the organization much more flexibility in carrying out its mission.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JC004

I have no idea.  I sort of made it up on the spot.  It sounded more fun. 

Luis R. Ramos

I took my assignment as MSA to a SAREX IC. I was following him everywhere, writing down the important events every time he moved around.

Annotating everything...

Until he told me he was going to the bathroom.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 19, 2014, 05:10:05 PM
I took my assignment as MSA to a SAREX IC. I was following him everywhere, writing down the important events every time he moved around.

Annotating everything...

Until he told me he was going to the bathroom.

This is when you guard the bathroom so people wonder if you have special dignitary protection training.

JeffDG

greenmountainboy

PHall

The National Commander has one. He's a Major from California Wing.
He's even listed in the National Headquarters Personnel Directory.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Camas on December 18, 2014, 08:44:58 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on December 18, 2014, 09:10:29 AM
Advisor to the Commander is silly
Last I checked it's not in CAPR20-1 for squadron-level units so why would it even be used. JMHO.

Same reason some Squadrons have a Chief of Staff.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 19, 2014, 02:21:19 PM
Aviation units run on a Table of Equipment organizational format rather then the Table of Organizatio. Manning table  used in ground forces. This gives the organization much more flexibility in carrying out its mission.

Do you mean like, "flying squadron"? Instead of Composite, Senior or Cadet Squadron? Because as an IG, I asked a CC why he has a CV, CS, CD, CDS and CDC in his Unit as all those positions do not exist in CAPR 20-1 for a Senior Squadron? His answer was, we are a "flying squadron".  ???

Eclipse

A CDC in a Senior Squadron?  Yeah, something's "flying".

Don't get me started about these pretend CS' and CV's that have started popping up below wing, not to mention
people calling themselves "directors".

"That Others May Zoom"

Simplex

Quote from: greenmountainboy on December 20, 2014, 07:18:23 AM
You guys crack me up!  I like it here!

Me too! I'm about 2 years on CAPTalk and have learned a lot. Yes, that's about the time it takes to sink in!

Welcome.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2014, 10:47:48 PM

Don't get me started about these pretend CS' and CV's that have started popping up below wing, not to mention

Since the Senior Squadron was doing O-rides for Cadets. The "O-ride Coordinator" was upgraded to CDC because he needed "command status" over 'those kids'.

I know one Cadet Squadron had a CS and 'advisor to the commander' and they only had four active Senior Members. Shouldn't they all be advisors to the commander?  ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 21, 2014, 04:25:39 PM
Since the Senior Squadron was doing O-rides for Cadets. The "O-ride Coordinator" was upgraded to CDC because he needed "command status" over 'those kids'.

FSM preserve us.

Where.
Is.
The.
Next echelon?

That's the kind of thing they are supposed to mentor on, quelling the nonsense, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I know one Cadet Squadron had a CS and 'advisor to the commander' and they only had four active Senior Members. Shouldn't they all be advisors to the commander?  ::)

What sort of craziness is that?  He's not their commander.  If you're having a cadet aerospace weekend, appoint an activity commander.  For some o-flights, that person is most certainly not their commander.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JC004 on December 22, 2014, 04:47:54 AM

What sort of craziness is that?  He's not their commander.  If you're having a cadet aerospace weekend, appoint an activity commander.  For some o-flights, that person is most certainly not their commander.

When children misbehave we say, "boys will be boys". When Senior Members act silly, we should say, "good ole boys will be good ole boys"!   8)