ICOM IC-4008 or IC-4088A

Started by LATORRECA, December 18, 2014, 03:18:54 AM

LATORRECA

I know that the CAP use the IC-4008. However, the ISR has been discontinue and the new model replacement is the IC-4088A. My question is, if the new radio witch is also a FRS FM radio will be by standard the new CAP radio to communicate among the team members or the ISR is fading out of the CAP radios sets.

I do understand we use some other radios, with encrypted codes and different programming for the national emergency system.

Eventually I will like to have one on my own ISR, in order to not occupy any asset that can be use by others.

Eclipse

The 4088A is FRS only, so they can't be used for comm's primary mission, ES, and thus CAP would not be purchasing them.

As I recall, the 4088 can't be purchased by general consumers because of their operation on Federal frequencies, military use, but occasionally they pop up on eBay
(to the chagrin and investigation of some people to see where it came from).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Icom-Ic-4008M-Uhf-Fm-Transceivers-2-Way-Radios-Handheld-With-Carrying-Case-/181608000076?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item2a48ae2a4c

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The ISR is not an FRS radio. It uses frequencies in the military band, and was a special buy from Icom. I doubt that the 4088A can be tuned to the ISR frequencies, since there's about a 60 MHz difference between the two bands.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

CAP uses the IC-4008M, not the IC-4008. The "M" version has different internals and was built for the USMC, but adopted by other military services. It operates on DoD frequencies which are not available for non-government entities to use.

LATORRECA