Time between failing Earhart Exams?

Started by i_am_a_politician, May 29, 2019, 03:41:39 AM

i_am_a_politician

Hi all, I just took my Earhart Leadership exam for the first time today and failed it by one question. (78%)

I understand that you have to wait one day in between exams, but is a testing officer allowed to make you wait 2 weeks in between retakes?

I am asking because I will be aging out soon and I would like to be called Captain for at least a few weeks.  However, with these extra 2 weeks my Testing Officer is tacking on (this is my first time testing), I will be cutting it very close to my birthday and may not be able to get it before my birthday.
1st Lt Politician

Spaceman3750

So before we assume that your testing officer is arbitrarily making you wait, let's take a look at who your testing officer is.

Your testing officer is an adult volunteer, who has a job, family, and is not committed 100% of the time to the organization. Further, your testing officer is likely performing one (or more) other jobs at the squadron - in fact, testing probably isn't their primary role. This means they have a lot of other responsibilities besides your test, some of which probably need done next week. Arguably this means that your commander needs to appoint more testing officers, but volunteers don't usually materialize right when we need them.

So, as a commander, when I look at the logistics of tests like this (while less than they used to be), I don't think it's unreasonable to wait a couple of weeks (you would actually be guaranteed a 2-week wait at my squadron because we only offer proctored testing twice per month, and the second time is only for re-takes). I doubt your testing officer is doing it to be mean to you.

lordmonar

From CAPR 60-1

Quote5.4.1.2. Milestone Award Exams. At the conclusion of Phases I, II, and III, the cadet's cumulative learning is assessed through a closed-book, timed milestone award exam, with a passing score of 80%. In the event of a failure, the cadet must wait at least 7-days to re-test. The testing officer may waive the waiting period if the cadet experiences technical difficulties with the software. Testing officers administer milestone award exams to cadets via an online system or hard copy.

So...you have to wait a week.   Anything more (or less) then that needs to be brought up to your chain of command...in this case your deputy commander for cadets or squadron commander...who ever is the boss over the testing officer.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GZCP31

Quote from: lordmonar on May 29, 2019, 04:00:57 AM
From CAPR 60-1

Quote5.4.1.2. Milestone Award Exams. At the conclusion of Phases I, II, and III, the cadet’s cumulative learning is assessed through a closed-book, timed milestone award exam, with a passing score of 80%. In the event of a failure, the cadet must wait at least 7-days to re-test. The testing officer may waive the waiting period if the cadet experiences technical difficulties with the software. Testing officers administer milestone award exams to cadets via an online system or hard copy.

So...you have to wait a week.   Anything more (or less) then that needs to be brought up to your chain of command...in this case your deputy commander for cadets or squadron commander...who ever is the boss over the testing officer.

As Spaceman3750 stated. We are a volunteer organization. Some squadrons have a large cadre of cadets, my squadron has 50+. Another squadron I know of has over 100.  Having a set schedule of testing dates is not out of the norm within squadrons. As Squadron Deputy Commander, I will sometimes schedule a testing session off schedule if requested in advance. Other times, this is not possible due to items on the calendar.

I have see times when we have 6+ cadets scheduled to take milestones on one meeting night. We could not schedule more due to limited time, available testing officers and available computers.

We also have a Chain of Command. Jumping directly to the Deputy Commander or Squadron Commander is not following the proper Chain of Command. I would ask the testing officer for clarification about testing times and see if they can schedule you for another test. In any case you must wait 7 days for any milestone, the testing software will not allow you to retake sooner. (I have tried before to get a cadet in to a promotion ceremony).
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

N6RVT

Quote from: i_am_a_politician on May 29, 2019, 03:41:39 AMHi all, I just took my Earhart Leadership exam for the first time today and failed it by one question. (78%)

I did that three times.  41 years later I'm still wearing a Mitchell ribbon.

TheSkyHornet

"Next week" might not always be a feasible option. Not every meeting allots for testing. Some units have Testing Day built into their schedule; some allow cadets to sit out from certain activities (maybe during Character Development or Drill) to test.

I just received an email from a cadet about an hour ago asking if he can take his Mitchell Aerospace test tomorrow. I said that because we're meeting offsite at the park, and the schedule doesn't accommodate that time, he can either wait until the following week or take it after the meeting on paper.

He emailed back saying he'd like to push it back two weeks and just take both his Leadership and Aerospace tests then.

Fine with me, considering I was asked the day prior from the requested testing date. I'm not going to bend the schedule or exclude him from the CAP meeting just so he can fit in a test that wasn't requested in advance. It is what it is.

I often find that cadets will get upset because the schedule doesn't accommodate something they want when they keep pushing things back from their end, not from mine. Part of leadership develop includes forward planning and time management.

lordmonar

Quote from: GZCP31 on May 29, 2019, 11:18:29 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 29, 2019, 04:00:57 AM
From CAPR 60-1

Quote5.4.1.2. Milestone Award Exams. At the conclusion of Phases I, II, and III, the cadet's cumulative learning is assessed through a closed-book, timed milestone award exam, with a passing score of 80%. In the event of a failure, the cadet must wait at least 7-days to re-test. The testing officer may waive the waiting period if the cadet experiences technical difficulties with the software. Testing officers administer milestone award exams to cadets via an online system or hard copy.

As Spaceman3750 stated. We are a volunteer organization. Some squadrons have a large cadre of cadets, my squadron has 50+. Another squadron I know of has over 100.  Having a set schedule of testing dates is not out of the norm within squadrons. As Squadron Deputy Commander, I will sometimes schedule a testing session off schedule if requested in advance. Other times, this is not possible due to items on the calendar.

I have see times when we have 6+ cadets scheduled to take milestones on one meeting night. We could not schedule more due to limited time, available testing officers and available computers.

We also have a Chain of Command. Jumping directly to the Deputy Commander or Squadron Commander is not following the proper Chain of Command. I would ask the testing officer for clarification about testing times and see if they can schedule you for another test. In any case you must wait 7 days for any milestone, the testing software will not allow you to retake sooner. (I have tried before to get a cadet in to a promotion ceremony).
Sir,   I said to use the chain of command.  Going directly to the testing officer's boss is not "jumping the chain of command" it is using it.  I said you have to wait 7 days.  And I understand that we are a volunteer operation and that sometimes you got to wait longer then you might want.   Hence my suggestion that the cadet take it up with his chain of command.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Something to consider (perhaps more so for the senior members here) is that people would like to know "why" something is the way it is.

"Come back in 14 days" is not a reasonable reply to someone after they fail a test. "Let's try again in 14 days, since next week's meeting won't have any time available in it due to PT and we'll have a more open schedule then." Explain it.