Main Menu

area suggestion

Started by Capt Rivera, November 05, 2008, 05:14:54 PM

Capt Rivera

restricted area:

If possible a area restricted to confirmed CAP members (not public in any way)

I know that would ensure lots a time and work verifying CAP ID #'s

reason: be able to discuss specific items of concern to the organization without providing more BAD info to the public...

IE: something bad in the news, be able to discuss and bring to attention of those who might "care" without confirming or adding to the info the public might see...

Admins what do you think?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

MIKE

This has been asked a couple of times before.  There are a number of issues with membership verification being that CAP Talk is an independent site which is not operated by Civil Air Patrol.  Least of which being the time involved for varification... for me anyway.

The site staff have repeatedly stated that they wish for the site to remain public... The theory being that since everything is out in the open it should keep posters from getting stupid.  Really, there is little cause to keep things behind closed doors if the subject can be approached in a professional manner.  If it can't, then whose fault is that?

Mike Johnston

notaNCO forever

I don't think their is anything in CAP that should become uncivilized enough to be behind closed doors. The only thing that shouldn't be posted on the forum is for official use only material and that is what PM is for.

MIKE

Quote from: NCO forever on November 05, 2008, 06:45:27 PMThe only thing that shouldn't be posted on the forum is for official use only material and that is what PM is for.

Shouldn't even do that.  Should be transmitted by approved means, or not at all. 
Mike Johnston

JAFO78

Quote from: MIKE on November 05, 2008, 06:50:16 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on November 05, 2008, 06:45:27 PMThe only thing that shouldn't be posted on the forum is for official use only material and that is what PM is for.

Shouldn't even do that.  Should be transmitted by approved means, or not at all. 

I agree with Mike to a point. If people want to talk about things in private email each other or set up a Yahoo group, where you have to be a member, or set up a Myspace or Face book with limited access.
JAFO

Capt Rivera

So if we can discuss things openly... why did this topic get locked?

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6330.0

edit: I honestly want to know & I mean no disrespect...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

MIKE

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 05, 2008, 07:29:59 PM
So if we can discuss things openly... why did this topic get locked?

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6330.0

edit: I honestly want to know & I mean no disrespect...

Reread the second paragraph of my reply, then reread your topic... I think you'll have your answer, as your post basically illustrates my point to a T.
Mike Johnston

Capt Rivera

Quote from: MIKE on November 05, 2008, 06:35:41 PM
The site staff have repeatedly stated that they wish for the site to remain public... The theory being that since everything is out in the open it should keep posters from getting stupid.  Really, there is little cause to keep things behind closed doors if the subject can be approached in a professional manner.  If it can't, then whose fault is that?

What are you saying? Please be clear so that there is no misunderstandings...

Are you trying to say that I the poster got stupid?
Are you trying to say I did not approach the subject in a professional manner?
Are you saying that someone else was unprofessional? the only thing I noticed that might have fit that was the cool-aid comment
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

MIKE

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 05, 2008, 08:22:06 PM
Are you trying to say I did not approach the subject in a professional manner?

Bingo.  Had you done this, to include posting a more reputable source of the claim it might not have been locked.  However;

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 05, 2008, 08:22:06 PMAre you saying that someone else was unprofessional? the only thing I noticed that might have fit that was the cool-aid comment

This is also at issue.

As it is, the subject can only be seen as inflamatory.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Mike,

While there probably could have been a bit more discussion on the matter, it is still something that is posted about our organization in public domain.  Certainly a discussable item.  I was hoping that I could add to the conversation simply by providing information about why the article is bogus.

Quote from: What I wanted to add
The story actually made it to "Aim Points" which is a news bulletin for AF Senior Officers - even though it is completely unsubstantiated.  This alone could add some negative light to our organization.

It bothers me that none of the sources are identified.  I think this only adds to the illigitamacy of the article.

Also, FYI, The travel account is $50K and used by other people than the CC.  Same fund that the NCAC uses, etc.

No conspiracy going on, just a weak attempt at trying to uncover some scandal that doesn't exist.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt Rivera

Ultimately I wanted to get us talking about whether CAP has people who deal with these things? You know... image protection? 

"Not again" was appropriate as it didnt confirm that it was legit or not... and my message basically indicated that theres just to much negative garbage being posted about CAP... true or untrue...

I would bet the good General reads this board... I don't feel like she is going to do anything to me. I respect her and personally I don't believe the article. that does not take from the fact that it is there and is probably  being noticed by people outside of CAP.

and so what if you feel or its a fact that the source is bad... its a source that many people will see... it highlights a real issue of image control and probably a made up issue about our commander...

And we all know there are less professional comments on this board, many made by you Mike! [And myself]
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

MIKE

If you are so concerned about image, both yours and CAP... You didn't have to post it, and in that manner, but you did.

And you know what happens when threads question moderation... which was not the point of this thread.

Mike Johnston

Capt Rivera

Please excuse me questioning if you were following your own rules/guidelines. I must remember freedom of speech is overruled by the CAPTalk TOS. Full and clear explanations of "violations" can prevent future ones...

The site is out there, it has been noticed and people are aware... please demonstrate a better way of bringing the story up for discussion: with this, I can use it as a template for future reference.

to get back to topic: Could this be a reason for a member only area for discussion so that things like this wont get extra credence? IE: CAPTalk now links to the news page... Google's page rank crawler will see that.... (that was why i made this topic asking for this.)

EDIT Concerning my image: I think most will see me as someone with integrity who will do what is right, even if it hard or "Scary." We have issues to address and even if unpopular, a real leader will meet them head on instead of hiding and wishing them away.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

MIKE

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 05, 2008, 09:26:52 PMto get back to topic: Could this be a reason for a member only area for discussion so that things like this wont get extra credence? IE: CAPTalk now links to the news page... Google's page rank crawler will see that.... (that was why i made this topic asking for this.)

Nope... As I've said, that's counter to the aim... It's on you guys to show some "professional restraint."  If we want everybody to act accordingly, why should we provide something that allows you to post without the added consequence of being public.
Mike Johnston

Pingree1492

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 05, 2008, 09:26:52 PM
We have issues to address and even if unpopular, a real leader will meet them head on instead of hiding and wishing them away.

While I'm sure it was not the intention, by locking the thread started by RiveraJ, without an explanation from a moderator, makes it appear as if we (as an organization) have something to hide.  Now, if before locking the thread, had the moderator simply provided even this one sentence explanation: "...to include posting a more reputable source of the claim..." before locking the thread that would have sufficed. 

When you go to this link, it does, at first glance, appear to be a legitimate news site, especially if you've never been to it before (as I hadn't), and were quickly browsing the forum in some free time and didn't check up on it. 

Which gets to another, slightly off-topic question: 
This forum is a good place to allow CAP members to "get together" to discuss CAP-stuff.  I've certainly read posts where the posters were getting out of hand with the content of their posts, and can understand why some threads get locked- all the explanation is right there for everyone to see.  But why, instead of locking threads, aren't "bad" posts deleted, and (if there was one to begin with) the discussion allowed to continue?  I've seen quite a few posts that would be worthy of this honor, yet they remain on the forum.  Is this a software issue?  Time issue?
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)