Main Menu

Windows 98 Computer Help.

Started by Hoorah, December 20, 2009, 01:48:14 AM

Eclipse

Its Windows 2000 or Windows NT - they are separate products (actually most Windows products up to Vista) are derivatives of the NT Kernal.

I would bet you could get a replacement keyboard on ebay.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2010, 08:21:44 PM
That's actually a fairly respectable machine - it should run Windows 2000 or Linux without too much problem.

The ram and drive space are an issue, but you could probably scrounge a 30Gb from someone's trash pile.
256 is fine, though more would be better.  With three SIMM slots 384 is probably the max.

I'm getting ready to give my kids a couple of notebooks with those basic specs.

6GB will probably hold Linux just fine. A lot of netbooks sold today running Linux just have 8GB drives, although they're SSD. Xubuntu is probably the best bet as far as fitting.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Hoorah

I have found a way to make room get rid of old dud files. It is time consuming. It also makes it run faster.

Eclipse

You'll want to get something like startupmanager to strip our unneeded services, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

billford1

Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2010, 11:58:22 PM
Quote from: billford1 on February 15, 2010, 11:44:14 PM
Push the reset button. Get a MAC BOOK PRO.

I believe he's looking for a low cost option not a gold plated one. ;D
I can respect that. The prices have come down somewhat. A really good deal is a MAC BOOK which is $999. The display is really clear and with the Apple operating system you're not so vulnerable to viruses and registry problems. I also have a Toshiba laptop. The MacBook is much faster and everything works great.

raivo

If the question is "how can I make the most of what I have," the proper response is not "what you have sucks and you should go drop hundreds of dollars on something else."

OS jihad is a pet peeve of mine. -_-

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SarDragon

Well, it appears that he will need to spend a bit of money to improve his computing capability. The suggestions have been varied on how to do that. Given the availability of free operating systems, that could be the cheapest method, given the suggestion to acquire some additional memory as a part of any practical solution. I saw very little "you should go drop hundreds of dollars on something else".

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

raivo

Quote from: SarDragon on February 19, 2010, 09:25:23 AM
I saw very little "you should go drop hundreds of dollars on something else".

Yeah, I was referring mainly to the "get a Mac" comment.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

billford1

Quote from: raivo on February 19, 2010, 05:26:15 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 19, 2010, 09:25:23 AM
I saw very little "you should go drop hundreds of dollars on something else".

Yeah, I was referring mainly to the "get a Mac" comment.
I always feel great when a computer is easy to use and I don't have to worry so much about the security of what I have in it.
That's why I say " Once You Go MAC You Never Go Back " .

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: billford1 on February 19, 2010, 02:14:31 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2010, 11:58:22 PM
Quote from: billford1 on February 15, 2010, 11:44:14 PM
Push the reset button. Get a MAC BOOK PRO.

I believe he's looking for a low cost option not a gold plated one. ;D
I can respect that. The prices have come down somewhat. A really good deal is a MAC BOOK which is $999. The display is really clear and with the Apple operating system you're not so vulnerable to viruses and registry problems. I also have a Toshiba laptop. The MacBook is much faster and everything works great.
Have to agree on that... Mac's are the best!

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Meh, I run a windows computer, have since I first started using computers. I hated the macs at school. I hate the setup, it treats you with kid gloves in respect to what you can and can't do with it.

I have no problems running windows. At all.

raivo

Different operating systems have their own strengths and weaknesses. One of the reasons why there's less malware targeted at Macs is because there simply aren't as many Mac users as there are Windows users. (Why write a worm that won't affect 90% of the systems it comes across?)

If you want to do basic e-mail, word processing, and Internet stuff on a low budget, Linux is probably your best option (hence, why I recommended it.) If you have some extra cash, sure, you might want to consider upgrading to a Mac. Unless you like playing games, then you're almost certainly going to want Windows.

Over on the server side of things, I'd take UNIX/Linux for a webserver any day, but for managing large groups of computers you really can't beat a Windows domain server. (The fact that it ties in nicely with Exchange for e-mail is another plus.)

Sorry to rant, but like I said, pet peeve. Different people need different things, so it just annoys me when I see people insisting that their round/star/triangle-shaped peg is the best, without considering that the original question was how to fill a square hole.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

JC004

I can't believe this thread is 5 pages.

billford1

Quote from: raivo on February 21, 2010, 03:40:50 AM
Different operating systems have their own strengths and weaknesses. One of the reasons why there's less malware targeted at Macs is because there simply aren't as many Mac users as there are Windows users. (Why write a worm that won't affect 90% of the systems it comes across?)

If you want to do basic e-mail, word processing, and Internet stuff on a low budget, Linux is probably your best option (hence, why I recommended it.) If you have some extra cash, sure, you might want to consider upgrading to a Mac. Unless you like playing games, then you're almost certainly going to want Windows.

Over on the server side of things, I'd take UNIX/Linux for a webserver any day, but for managing large groups of computers you really can't beat a Windows domain server. (The fact that it ties in nicely with Exchange for e-mail is another plus.)

Sorry to rant, but like I said, pet peeve. Different people need different things, so it just annoys me when I see people insisting that their round/star/triangle-shaped peg is the best, without considering that the original question was how to fill a square hole.
Sir, I have used several versions of Windows throughout my work career. I used to commute to work with people who worked for Microsoft. What I learned is that there has been a long succession of fixes for each version of Windows throughout the operating system's lifespan. One Microsoft Software Developer I knew spoke of the emphasis on getting the newest operating system released and in the stores. Maybe I  misunderstood the the original post but anytime I encounter someone who has an opportunity to "trade-up" I simply want to share my enthusiasm for the MAC operating system based on my own experience as one who uses both operating systems daily; Windows XP at work and OSX at home. BRgds

C/MSgt Lunsford

I feel that Mac OSX is both easier to use and smoother. Windows is too complicated compared to Mac OSX.

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: C/SrA Lunsford on February 22, 2010, 04:05:00 AM
I feel that Mac OSX is both easier to use and smoother. Windows is too complicated compared to Mac OSX.

What's complicated about it?

CDCTF

I love how once someone recommends an OS the thread eventually degenerates into whose is better. LOL Let's see if we can another argument going. I think Open Solaris is the best OS ever. What do you have to say to that?

MIKE

Or we could just kill the thread for no longer bring relevant.
Mike Johnston