Main Menu

Show Yourself!

Started by BigMojo, October 24, 2007, 01:32:21 AM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 11:32:27 PM
Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
Whats the longest time a CAP Cadet has ever had to live off whats in their backpack? Point is that at most, if one got lost, they'd be found before they got through the first few bars. LOL

I think NESA is out for more then a day on their overnights, and they are supposed to train like they fight.
You might squeak by with a few-hours at a SAREX working comms with just some granola, but
humping it in the woods is going to burn that up quick, and by day breakfast day two you'll be feeling it.

GSAR stays out for two nights, though we do provide all meals for the activity. Students are encouraged to bring snacks.

EDIT: If O-0001 is required for the qualification they are seeking, successful evaluation for that task would require 2 meals in the 24 hour gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

husker

Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 10:16:53 PM

Whats the longest time a CAP Cadet Member has ever had to live off whats in their backpack? Point is that at most, if one got lost, they'd be found before they got through the first few bars. LOL

FTFY.  :)   (Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine - in 27 years in the program, I still rail against the idea that cadet = ground team and ground team = cadet).

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 15, 2018, 04:23:24 AM
GSAR stays out for two nights, though we do provide all meals for the activity. Students are encouraged to bring snacks.

What Spaceman didn't mention is that the school he runs for me at NESA is two successive nights in the field, which results in several MRE meals in a row.  "What's for dinner?""  "The same thing you had for breakfast and lunch."    :)

Energy bars/protein bars are great, but are not substantive or nutritious enough for extended field work.  WIWAC, I used to love MREs - now, not so much.  I still have a couple each year at NESA with the students, but it isn't something I relish.  For field work, I much prefer a combination of GORP, dried fruits, fresh fruits (apples, pears, etc) mixed with some dried meats or tuna packs.  Still carry an MRE in my 24 though.

To bring the thread back to where it belongs, here is a picture of me and the wife doing summer activites.

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Stonewall

It was an honor to promote my son to Cadet Airman this evening. After 8 weeks of Great Start Program, he graduated, earning his first stripe and the Gen. John F. Curry Award.

You wouldn't know, but he is wearing the very name tag that I wore 31 years ago when I was promoted to Cadet Airman.

Since he was about 5, he'd go to CAP meetings with me, even wearing the "kid BDUs."  He officially joined on his 12th birthday, and last night, he came down at 2230 hrs saying "I can't sleep, I'm too excited about graduating tomorrow night."

Note: So yeah, my son is wearing a v-neck shirt. Just so happens, when you're 12 and buy a v-neck, it's not like an adult one where the "v" is hidden.

They don't make AF uniforms for 12 year olds and apparently they don't make standard v-necks for 12 year olds either. I actually specially ordered it and it arrived today. It was either the v-neck that shows above the blues shirt, wear a crew neck, or wear nothing.

Serving since 1987.

Huey Driver

Congrats to C/Amn Stonewall! Seeing that kind of enthusiasm is one of the most worthwhile things about serving in CP...

Quote from: Stonewall on August 29, 2018, 03:02:36 AM
You wouldn't know, but he is wearing the very name tag that I wore 31 years ago when I was promoted to Cadet Airman.

That is so cool.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Luis R. Ramos

Congrats to both of you, sir!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Hey, I know that unit!

I'll be making a trip out there in a couple of weeks to pay a visit to your CC and present some certificates.

LATORRECA

It was an honor to promote my son to Cadet Airman this evening. After 8 weeks of Great Start Program, he graduated, earning his first stripe and the Gen. John F. Curry Award.

Since he was about 5, he'd go to CAP meetings with me, even wearing the "kid BDUs."  He officially joined on his 12th birthday, and last night, he came down at 2230 hrs saying "I can't sleep, I'm too excited about graduating tomorrow night."

Note: So yeah, my son is wearing a v-neck shirt. Just so happens, when you're 12 and buy a v-neck, it's not like an adult one where the "v" is hidden.

They don't make AF uniforms for 12 year olds and apparently they don't make standard v-necks for 12 year olds either. I actually specially ordered it and it arrived today. It was either the v-neck that shows above the blues shirt, wear a crew neck, or wear nothing.

That's great news. My daughter also has my nametag I wore years back for her was meee!.... for me was you better take care of it. CONGRATULATIONS to him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: DMinick on September 16, 2013, 07:33:50 PM
I have no idea where that symbol is, but I know it was the same one on my husband's grandfathers uniform!! He was a brigadier sergeant during WWII! We have been searching for years for information about the army air force!! Can't seem to find anything out though!

I doubt you'll ever find an emblem for a Brigadier Sergeat during WWII.  Never heard of it.  The Army Air Corps, Navy and Marine Corps where the last to use enlisted NCOs as pilots.  Anyway, there have been and are Sergeant's Majors, but unless someone can show me differently, there has never been a brigadier sergeant in any American military services (as opposed to the naval forces of USN, USMC, and USCG).
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

PHall

Quote from: Tulip-One on September 02, 2018, 07:33:05 PM
I have no idea where that symbol is, but I know it was the same one on my husband's grandfathers uniform!! He was a brigadier sergeant during WWII! We have been searching for years for information about the army air force!! Can't seem to find anything out though!

I doubt you'll ever find an emblem for a Brigadier Sergeat during WWII.  Never heard of it.  The Army Air Corps, Navy and Marine Corps where the last to use enlisted NCOs as pilots.  Anyway, there have been and are Sergeant's Majors, but unless someone can show me differently, there has never been a brigadier sergeant in any American military services (as opposed to the naval forces of USN, USMC, and USCG).

You do realize that post is over 5 years old, right?  And appears to have been made in jest. ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 02, 2018, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: Tulip-One on September 02, 2018, 07:33:05 PM

You do realize that post is over 5 years old, right?  And appears to have been made in jest. ::)

Stuffed shirt...

This, BTW, is the insignia in question as it's apparently expired on Imageshack:

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2013, 07:28:02 PM

Any ideas where this might be?
Now I'm curious what the picture look like since I can't open it. [darn] you Gods of past post!!!!

Eclipse

Quote from: LATORRECA on September 02, 2018, 08:37:23 PM

Now I'm curious what the picture look like since I can't open it. [darn] you Gods of past post!!!!

Look up

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Quote from: Eclipse on September 02, 2018, 08:44:54 PM

Look up
It's my phone [emoji852] darn you Samsung s9.

LATORRECA

Quote from: LATORRECA on September 02, 2018, 08:50:45 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 02, 2018, 08:44:54 PM

Look up
It's my phone [emoji852] darn you Samsung s9.

If I look up It is not at the ceiling of my bathroom neither.... since I'm sitting on the toilet.[emoji23][emoji23]

Eclipse

The yellow dot in the lower right hand corner is me scrambling to get the flag off the ground.

For those scoring at home...

I was not there in a CAP capacity, but CAP and a ton of other cadet organizations were
there in force (as you can see in the video).

Due to high winds (14kts sustained, 23kts gusts), the jumper used the "small" flag.

They almost always touch the ground due to the weights on them - the "large" flag
has a ~70lb weight on it, this one was more like 20.

Working the ramp was a blast, but extremely intimidating in the early morning until
I got some lay of the land.  There are so many moving parts, so many soft squishy things
in the way of those parts, and everything there can either kill you in a blink or costs $$!!.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Happy Halloween everybody!

We've got a houseful tonight, this is the drinks table.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Wedges tight, streamer rings added, marked as pairs and furled for day-1 issue.

Ready for 2019 and another 16+ years.

It's encampment season again!

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Playing Traverse Tetris.  It must be time for Weekend 1 of Spring Encampment!

This year I even roped in NIN, Spaceman3750, xray328, almost Alaric, and others at various levels of involvement!

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Full Disclosure: I am not crammed in to one of those cases.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

baronet68

Quote from: NIN on April 26, 2019, 09:48:24 AM
Full Disclosure: I am not crammed in to one of those cases.

Are you sure about that?  It looks like breathing holes in the sides of that big case.  ;D
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager