Do you remember your emergency procedures?

Started by jimmydeanno, November 29, 2007, 07:36:31 PM

jimmydeanno

I just saw this video on CNN and it got me thinking - if I were in this situation would I know what to do?

I probably wouldn't, but how "up to speed" are you on your emergency procedures?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

CadetProgramGuy

flyguy06

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2007, 07:36:31 PM
I just saw this video on CNN and it got me thinking - if I were in this situation would I know what to do?

I probably wouldn't, but how "up to speed" are you on your emergency procedures?

CAP pilots are supposed to be the example of a good General Aviation pilot. So I would hope a CAP pilot is up to date on EP's

Mustang

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 03, 2007, 03:55:10 AMCAP pilots are supposed to be the example of a good General Aviation pilot. So I would hope a CAP pilot is up to date on EP's
I'd venture to say that most are neither up on their EPs nor examples of good GA pilots.  I generally cringe when I hear "CAPFLIGHT" on the radio. 

Sorry, just calling it as I see it.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Mustang on December 04, 2007, 02:38:44 AM
I'd venture to say that most...

Interesting - what makes most of our pilots "bad examples?"  For an organization that is so focused on safety and making sure that our pilots are proficient, where is the breakdown?  If it is truly the case, why do we seem to only recruit "bad pilots?"
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 04, 2007, 03:27:41 PM
Interesting - what makes most of our pilots "bad examples?"  For an organization that is so focused on safety and making sure that our pilots are proficient, where is the breakdown?  If it is truly the case, why do we seem to only recruit "bad pilots?"

All the good pilots fly for organizations and companies that pay them  ;D

I mean no offense to anyone here, but the average age of our pilots is pretty well up there. With age comes the possibility of less alertness, more complacency, and more "I've been doing this before you were an itch in your daddy's pants" attitudes that end up getting our people in trouble. Either that, or the pilots who ONLY fly with CAP, and ONLY when it's paid for by someone besides themselves.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

Quote from: SJFedor on December 06, 2007, 09:53:30 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 04, 2007, 03:27:41 PM

All the good pilots fly for organizations and companies that pay them  ;D

I mean no offense to anyone here, but the average age of our pilots is pretty well up there. With age comes the possibility of less alertness, more complacency, and more "I've been doing this before you were an itch in your daddy's pants" attitudes that end up getting our people in trouble. Either that, or the pilots who ONLY fly with CAP, and ONLY when it's paid for by someone besides themselves.

I am always fearful when I get in a CAP plane with some of our more experainced (AGED) pilots.  Wondering how I will do CPR and land the plane at the same time after the guy has a heart attack.  I decided long ago, If he has a heart attack mid-flight I will just open his door, "drop him off" and land by myself, because I would get way too nervous with a  dead or dying guy next to me.  JUST KIDDING, Mikey would call for medical assistance and land the plane.  It might land upside down, but by hell I am getting it down.
What's up monkeys?