Cadet PAO

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, October 17, 2018, 12:13:43 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: RiverAux on October 24, 2018, 02:46:24 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 23, 2018, 10:24:07 PM
You're lucky if 10% read your newsletter...
Quotejust as they tend to skim over emails.

But at least 100% (or very close to it) will actually receive it.  And, if you've got a mildly sophisticated system you can track whether or not they are at least opened.

I was Mr. Gung-Ho, "You obviously received the email; why didn't you read it" at one time. I've since deviated away from that philosophy, in the corporate world as well. Things just don't get accomplished that way. I expect staff to read their emails frequently, but as far as chastising them for it, meh.

Emails are good to get information distributed to a large body of people. But no where in that distribution does is force anyone to sit down and read it, even if they opened it on their phone in a classroom before quickly locking the screen as the teacher approaches. Let's be real---that's exactly what happens.

I did it in college (didn't have smartphones in high school). I certainly would be doing it just the same in school.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: etodd on October 23, 2018, 04:19:39 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 23, 2018, 01:46:13 PM
My question wasn't really answered. Does anyone have a template for a squadron newsletter?

Just read the whole thread, and after all the WONDERFUL advice, you then went back to square one. Had me rolling on the floor. Thanks, I needed that.  ;D

I totally agree with this advice but my XO doesn't. He wants a newsletter. We are already implementing that advice with the social media and other things
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 24, 2018, 02:24:05 PM
I totally agree with this advice but my XO doesn't. He wants a newsletter. We are already implementing that advice with the social media and other things

What does your Commander and the actual PAO say?

The C/XO isn't really even part of this conversation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on October 24, 2018, 02:34:03 PM

XO is in charge of support staff positions. The actual PAO isn't really at the meetings. I am still waiting for it to go up the COC to the commander
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on October 24, 2018, 02:34:03 PM

From his perspective, the C/XO is a part of the conversation. Per the cadet staff handbook cadet support officers and NCOs have dotted line responsibility to the C/XO (now called the C/Deputy Commander for Support apparently).

Chain of command and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 24, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
XO is in charge of support staff positions. The actual PAO isn't really at the meetings. I am still waiting for it to go up the COC to the commander

The senior-member PAO is directly in charge of these decisions, not the cadets, this is especially important
in that this is presumably something for public consumption.

The dotted lines indicated are primarily for the cadet-level functions of cadet support staff, not the
staff-level functions of the senior members.  (i.e. reporting, non-PAO functions, etc.)

In this case the C/XO C/CD-Support would be directing the actions and plans of a senior member, which is not how things work.

"That Others May Zoom"