New York Wing Encampment 2005

Started by Pylon, February 22, 2005, 06:05:27 AM

Pylon

Hey all,

I know that the location of the New York Wing encampment was up-in-the-air, especially after last year's SNAFU with Ft. Drum not being able to host for the first time in many years.   Is there any word on this year's encampment, as to location or estimated time frame?

I know the commander was selected (or at least, to the best of my knowledge he was), and should be Capt. Scott G. Ullery (also commander last year).

I'm hoping to go this year, perhaps serve as a TAC.  I haven't made it to an encampment in about 5 years.  Plus, NYWG owes me a free encampment for designing the encampment logo - so why not go?  8)

Anybody have more information?  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

A little birdie told me that it will be at Stratton ANGB again.  It will be the usual timeframe (last week of July - first week of August), and will be limited to 200 attendees.

I don't know if that's 200 total, cadet and senior, or 200 cadets (staff and in-flight).  I just heard 200.

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on February 22, 2005, 06:05:27 AM
I know the commander was selected (or at least, to the best of my knowledge he was), and should be Capt. Scott G. Ullery (also commander last year).

I'm hoping to go this year, perhaps serve as a TAC.  I haven't made it to an encampment in about 5 years.  Plus, NYWG owes me a free encampment for designing the encampment logo - so why not go?  8)

I met Scott back when he was hanging around in MAWG at Goddard Composite Squadron... I was doing the same while maintaining membership in another area unit.  I was a C/1st Lt at the time.

I'd be interested in a TAC slot if I don't have to drive... 'cause I don't.
Mike Johnston

Yoda

Quote from: justin_bailey on February 22, 2005, 02:00:12 PM
A little birdie told me that it will be at Stratton ANGB again.  It will be the usual timeframe (last week of July - first week of August), and will be limited to 200 attendees.

I don't know if that's 200 total, cadet and senior, or 200 cadets (staff and in-flight).  I just heard 200.
If they aren't offering NCOA again this year, I think I'm going to go to another wings encampment.  Not that I don't like NYWG encampment, but Stratton is not on my list of good places to hold an encampment.  Hopefully Drum will become available again soon.

Pylon

Quote from: Yoda
If they aren't offering NCOA again this year, I think I'm going to go to another wings encampment.  Not that I don't like NYWG encampment, but Stratton is not on my list of good places to hold an encampment.  Hopefully Drum will become available again soon.

Why not apply for Cadet Staff is NCOA isn't available?  I had the most fun out of my four encampments as a cadet while serving on executive/support staff.

As for Stratton ANGB, I agree.  It was a great location for the pre-encampment staff training, but certainly not for the whole encampment.  There was talk at Wing about seeking out West Point at a possible location, if Ft. Drum were still unavailable.   There are other possibilities, I'm sure, but with the short notice of last years change they didn't have time to properly seek out the best location and get it secured.

Let's cross our fingers it's at a good location this year.  Has anybody heard anything?

Yoda

Quote from: Pylon on February 23, 2005, 04:55:56 AM
Quote from: Yoda

Why not apply for Cadet Staff is NCOA isn't available?  I had the most fun out of my four encampments as a cadet while serving on executive/support staff.

As for Stratton ANGB, I agree.  It was a great location for the pre-encampment staff training, but certainly not for the whole encampment.  There was talk at Wing about seeking out West Point at a possible location, if Ft. Drum were still unavailable.   There are other possibilities, I'm sure, but with the short notice of last years change they didn't have time to properly seek out the best location and get it secured.

Let's cross our fingers it's at a good location this year.  Has anybody heard anything?
Well, that's what I was applying for.  Cadet staff for the NCOA.  I wouldn't mind other encampment staff positions, I'm just a fan of the NCOA.

In any case, I don't really want to go to encampment at Stratton.  I think I'll go to GLR-N if it's at Stratton.

dwb

NYWG Encampment dates have been announced.

http://syracusecap.org/

QuoteThis year's encampment will take place from 21-31 July for staff (23-30 July for in-flight cadets). Stratton Air National Guard Base in Scotia, NY has not only stepped up to once again host this year's encampment, but have also proposed various measures aimed at doubling the capacity. This means that roughly 120 in-flight cadets will be accepted.

There will be two staff weekends: the Leadership Workshop on 6-8 May and the Staff Skills Workshop from 10-12 June. Both weekends will be held at Stratton. More detailed information on the encampment, staff weekends and application procedures will be sent out in the near future.

Unfortunately, NCOA is a thing of the past, at least as we understand it.  The space limitations of Stratton ANGB, and the obvious priority of first-time cadets, has eliminated the NCOA program from encampment.

That said, there's nothing preventing the Wing from organizing an NCOA to run at another time, possibly even at the Stratton facility.  But the days of 350+ attendees at a NYWG encampment are over, at least until a facility can be found to house that many people.

MIKE

Quote from: justin_bailey on March 03, 2005, 02:34:57 PM
QuoteThere will be two staff weekends: the Leadership Workshop on 6-8 May and the Staff Skills Workshop from 10-12 June. Both weekends will be held at Stratton. More detailed information on the encampment, staff weekends and application procedures will be sent out in the near future.

So would the workshop attendance and possibly the limit of 200 personnel be prohibitive for prospective out of state staffers?  Particularly seniors and associated staff positions?
Mike Johnston

dwb

The 200 member limit will affect everyone.  Workshop attendance, while encouraged strongly, isn't essential to securing a staff position.

Most likely, we will have to turn good people away, because of the 200 attendee limit.  That said, it never hurts to apply, and being out of state doesn't really impact your ability to serve on staff.  Heck, the encampment commander doesn't even live here! :)

I would recommend applying.  The worst you'll hear is no.

Pylon

I wonder if Ft. Drum will ever have us back to hold encampments there?   After all, we had been having them there for 10 years.  Do the deployments from Ft. Drum really make a substantial difference in their ability to allow us to use the old post?

In any case, I'd like to apply for staff however I can't make that first staff workshop in May.  I suppose I'll apply and just see what happens.

It really is a shame that we're not able to get a bigger installation to host the encampments.  I wonder what West Point said (that is, if Wing ever even approached them)?

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on March 04, 2005, 02:31:54 AMDo the deployments from Ft. Drum really make a substantial difference in their ability to allow us to use the old post?

The short answer: yes.

Even in our last couple years there (post-9/11), there were Reserve and Guard units in the barracks one block down from us, preparing to deploy to somewhere hot and sandy.

Ft. Drum has seen its usage expand greatly, a lot of troops rotate through there going to and from the hot and sandy places.  Old post is very much a busy place these days.

The primary reason they could not accommodate us was the barracks.  In its last year there (2003), NYWG occupied about a dozen buildings (barracks, classrooms, offices, mess).

Maybe in a couple years, if the U.S.'s international commitments decrease, we'll be able to go back to Ft. Drum.  With all its idiosyncrasies, it still is a great place to hold an encampment.

Pylon

Well, Stratton ANG it is.  Looks like I'm on the TAC team.  I'm looking forward to this year's encampment. 

Who else is slotted to go?

Yoda

Applying for Training, SQ CC, and PAO.  Still don't have any guarantee that I'll be able to go, but I figured I could apply and pull out rather than not apply and be able to go.

Pylon

Very interesting note:

The encampment, for now, is still slated to take place at Stratton ANG however, according to Wing leadership, West Point has not yet closed the door to us and we haven't yet eliminated that possibility should the opportunity arise.

Interesting.  I wonder if we'll have a last minute encampment location change, like a few years ago?

Anybody else applied or will apply?

Pylon

Further word on the street is that encampment will be at West Point, now, according to an email I read coming from the New York Wing Liason Officer.  I have yet to see the official announcement to this effect, but I imagine NYWG HQ wants to make sure all the arrangements are settled before doing so, to prevent another last-minute encampment venue change.  The remaining staff workshop is supposedly still at Stratton ANGB in Scotia, NY.

What do you all think of having the encampment at West Point?  It should prove to be very interesting, if anything else.

Yoda

Quote from: Pylon on May 11, 2005, 09:02:12 PM
Further word on the street is that encampment will be at West Point, now, according to an email I read coming from the New York Wing Liason Officer.  I have yet to see the official announcement to this effect, but I imagine NYWG HQ wants to make sure all the arrangements are settled before doing so, to prevent another last-minute encampment venue change.  The remaining staff workshop is supposedly still at Stratton ANGB in Scotia, NY.

What do you all think of having the encampment at West Point?  It should prove to be very interesting, if anything else.
According to Capt Ullery, he has a "warm, fuzzy feeling" about encampment being at West Point.  C/Maj Wawrzyniak interprets this to mean a roughly 80% chance that we will be there.  This may have changed in the week since I first heard it last Saturday, but I doubt it.

If we are indeed slotted to go to West Point, I will be very pumped.  How can you not want to be at West Point, especially if your other option is Stratton?  Stratton's a good staff workshop place, but not particularly well-suited to encampments.

As a side note, the grapevine has it that even if we are at West Point, Stratton may still fly a Herk down for orientation rides.

Pylon

Well, as the encampment date nears, there's still no official word on West Point - just more chatter from above.

The cadet staff lists have been posted, and the June Staff workshop is around the corner.  :)

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on May 25, 2005, 08:46:40 PM
Well, as the encampment date nears, there's still no official word on West Point - just more chatter from above.

Interesting..............the 2005 NJWG Encampment is going to have a "reunion" banquet type thing, and it'll almost definitely be at West Point.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2005, 11:10:32 PM
Quote from: Pylon on May 25, 2005, 08:46:40 PM

Interesting..............the 2005 NJWG Encampment is going to have a "reunion" banquet type thing, and it'll almost definitely be at West Point.

Hmmm...  what dates are the NJWG Encampment reunion banquet?   It'd be amusing if West Point were to be hosting several different CAP functions at once.  :)

Pylon

Allrighty - West Point it is.  :)

For those of you on Staff, log into the Encampment website secure area, and check out photos of the West Point facilities we'll be using.  There's photos of the rooms (quite nice and spacious!), buildings, and classrooms on there.  This ought to make for an excellent encampment!

See many of you at the RST this weekend at Stratton ANGB!