Main Menu

Marching while on Stairway

Started by Dutchboy, August 26, 2010, 04:43:36 PM

Dutchboy

Is there any USAF or CAP regulation that says marching while in formation is unsafe or against regulations?

davidsinn

Quote from: Dutchboy on August 26, 2010, 04:43:36 PM
Is there any USAF or CAP regulation that says marching while in formation is unsafe or against regulations?

You are supposed to march in formation...

If you mean march in step on stairs? That's just stupid. There are reasons "route step" is in the manual and that's one of them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MSgt Van

Quote from: davidsinn on August 26, 2010, 04:52:41 PM

If you mean march in step on stairs? That's just stupid.

I gotta go with Capt S. on this one...

Dutchboy

yes on stairs. Sorry if i was not clear.  So route step is the command used when using stairs? Is that in the manual somewhere?

Dutchboy

Sorry, just noticed you said it was in the manual. thanks.

MSgt Van

Route Step March. The command is Route Step, MARCH. On the command MARCH, the
airman takes one more 24-inch step and assumes route step. Neither silence nor cadence is required, and movement is permitted as long as dress, cover, interval, and distance are maintained.

The only command that can be given when marching at other than attention is Incline to the Right (Left). Otherwise, the flight must be called to attention before other commands may be given.

lordmonar

To be fair both ways...

There is no regulation that says you can't march on stairs.

There is no regulation that says you have to march anywhere.

Drill on its most practical level is used to get a body of people from one place or formation into another place place or formation in the littlest amount of time...while maintaining control of those people.

Don't know exactly what you are doing.....but you can go both ways.  Do you have to march?  No....can you march if you want to? yes.

The answers to whether it is appropriate will have to be up the commander on the spot.

Good Luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Why would you want to need to have cadets march up stairs in the first place (whether in step or at route step)?  Why not, "Go upstairs to the classroom". 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2010, 11:27:35 PM
Why would you want to need to have cadets march up stairs in the first place (whether in step or at route step)?  Why not, "Go upstairs to the classroom, quietly".

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dutchboy

Why would you want to need to have cadets march up stairs in the first place (whether in step or at route step)?  Why not, "Go upstairs to the classroom".
Should not assume I am talking about being inside a building. We meet on a university campus There are stairs all over campus. So to go to the field where they do PT they need to march.

Omission (Made a correction)

SarDragon

They still don't need to be in formation and trying to march down/up steps. Halt them at the top/bottom, send them down/up, and reassemble the formation at the other end. Even route step is awkward.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on August 27, 2010, 01:30:45 AM
They still don't need to be in formation and trying to march down/up steps. Halt them at the top/bottom, send them down/up, and reassemble the formation at the other end. Even route step is awkward.

At least route step lets them focus on walking and not DCID.

Dutchboy

Because I am refering to out side steps

lordmonar

Quote from: Dutchboy on August 27, 2010, 03:26:57 AM
Because I am refering to out side steps
We got that the first time you said it.  :(

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on August 26, 2010, 04:52:41 PMIf you mean march in step on stairs? That's just stupid.

Ever been on a color guard  ;)

OP-
Use route step. 
Route step is intended for adverse terrain or extended march.  I think stairs qualify as "adverse".
Paramedic
hang-around.