Main Menu

Lightening Safety VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Started by RADIOMAN015, July 02, 2010, 03:09:23 AM

RADIOMAN015

See:  http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/

Lots of worthwhile information at the above website.   Now that we are in the season for both CAP training missions as well as personal outdoor recreational activities, BEAWARE, take a good look at this website and have a full understanding of the potential danger!!!

RM

Krapenhoeffer

Please assure me that you aren't being sarcastic...

Lightning is serious. Just spend one hour near some Electrical Engineering majors and you'll understand the grave dangers and horrors of untamed electricity.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

desertengineer1

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 02, 2010, 03:19:42 AM

Lightning is serious. Just spend one hour near some Electrical Engineering majors and you'll understand the grave dangers and horrors of untamed electricity.

Discussing lightning safety around EE's is like eating at the same lunch table with Medical Examiners or happy hour with morticians. 

JoeTomasone

He did not sound sarcastic to me, and it is a very important topic.

Major Lord

Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 02, 2010, 03:39:26 AM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 02, 2010, 03:19:42 AM

Discussing lightning safety around EE's is like eating at the same lunch table with Medical Examiners or happy hour with morticians.

Well, maybe not that much fun.....

Major Lord, E.E.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RADIOMAN015

EACH YEAR ABOUT 400 CHILDREN AND ADULTS IN THE UNITED STATES ARE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING WHILE WORKING OUTSIDE...AT SPORTS EVENTS...ON THE BEACH...MOUNTAIN CLIMBING...MOWING THE LAWN...OR DURING OTHER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES. ABOUT 57 PEOPLE ARE KILLED EACH YEAR AND SEVERAL HUNDRED MORE ARE LEFT TO COPE WITH PERMANENT DISABILITIES. MANY OF THESE TRAGEDIES CAN BE AVOIDED.  FINISHING THE GAME...GETTING A
TAN...OR COMPLETING A WORK SHIFT ARE NOT WORTH DEATH OR CRIPPLING INJURY.

LIGHTNING OFTEN STRIKES AS MUCH AS 10 MILES AWAY FROM ANY RAINFALL. THERE HAS EVEN BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF LIGHTNING STRIKING 34 MILES AWAY FROM THE RAIN IN THE THUNDERSTORM. SOME LIGHTNING OCCURS WITHOUT ANY VISIBLE CLOUDS IN THE SKY...JUST BLUE SKY.  MANY OF THE LIGHTNING FATALITIES OCCUR AHEAD OF THE STORM BECAUSE PEOPLE TRY AND
WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE BEFORE SEEKING SHELTER. YOU ARE IN DANGER IF YOU CAN HEAR THUNDER...THAT MEANS THAT LIGHTNING IS CLOSE ENOUGH THAT IT COULD STRIKE YOUR LOCATION AT ANY MOMENT.

ON AVERAGE 20 PERCENT OF LIGHTNING STRIKE VICTIMS DIE...80 PERCENT SURVIVE BUT 70 PERCENT OF THEM SUFFER SERIOUS LONG-TERM EFFECTS.

HERE ARE SOME SAFETY RULES...MORE DETAILED INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE WEB AT WWW.LIGHTNINGSAFETY.NOAA.GOV

1. POSTPONE ACTIVITIES PROMPTLY AND DO NOT WAIT FOR THE RAIN. GO QUICKLY INSIDE A COMPLETELY ENCLOSED BUILDING...NOT A CARPORT...OPEN GARAGE...OR COVERED PATIO.  IF NO ENCLOSED BUILDING IS AVAILABLE...GET INSIDE A HARD-TOPPED METAL VEHICLE. THE STEEL FRAME OF THE VEHICLE PROVIDES PROTECTION IF YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING METAL.

2. BE THE LOWEST POINT. LIGHTNING LIKES TO STRIKE THE TALLEST
OBJECTS.  IF HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS AND ABOVE THE TREELINE...YOU ARE THE TALLEST OBJECT.  QUICKLY GET BELOW TREELINE AND GET INTO A GROVE OF SMALL TREES. ASIDE FROM THIS SITUATION HOWEVER...YOU SHOULD AVOID TREES. IF YOU ARE IN AN OPEN FIELD...LIKE A FARM OR A BASEBALL OR SOCCER FIELD...YOU ARE THE TALLEST OBJECT. DUGOUTS OR GAZEBOS
AFFORD LITTLE PROTECTION. IF YOU CANNOT GET TO AN ENCLOSED BUILDING OR VEHICLE...CROUCH DOWN ON THE BALLS OF YOUR FEET.

3. KEEP AN EYE TO THE SKY FOR DARKENING CLOUDS AND LISTEN FOR THUNDER. IF YOU CAN HEAR IT...GO TO A SAFE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

4. GET OFF BICYCLES...MOTORCYCLES...AND DO NOT LEAN ON VEHICLES.

5. WATER IS A GREAT CONDUCTOR OF ELECTRICITY. GET OUT OF THE WATER IF BOATING OR SWIMMING. GET OFF THE BEACH. DO NOT STAND IN PUDDLES...EVEN IF WEARING RUBBER BOOTS.

6. AVOID METAL. DO NOT HOLD GOLF CLUBS...FISHING RODS...TENNIS
RACQUETS...OR TOOLS.  LARGE METAL OBJECTS CAN CONDUCT LIGHTNING.  SMALL METAL OBJECTS...SUCH AS BELT BUCKLES...CAN CAUSE BURNS.

7. STAY SEVERAL YARDS AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE.  DO NOT SHARE A BLEACHER BENCH OR HUDDLE IN A GROUP.

8. LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...FIRST TO FIND OUT IF THUNDERSTORMS ARE IN THE FORECAST AND NEXT TO HEAR ANY SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTS ABOUT STRONG THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. ALSO...TO HEAR IF THE WARNING ALARM TONE IS ACTIVATED FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WHICH PRODUCE
DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL IN ADDITION TO LIGHTNING STRIKES.

RM

RADIOMAN015

IN THE UNITED STATES, EACH YEAR, LIGHTNING KILLS AN AVERAGE OF 58 PEOPLE BASED ON DOCUMENTED CASES FROM 1980 THROUGH 2009...AND INJURES HUNDREDS. WHILE ANY DEATH IS TRAGIC AND ALSO DEVASTATING TO THE FAMILY,INJURIES CAN BE EQUALLY TRAGIC AND DEVASTATING TO THE FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A RELATIVE THAT SUFFERS A SIGNIFICANT DISABILITY FROM LIGHTNING, LIFE CHANGES FOREVER. IN ADDITION TO THE
PHYSICAL PAIN AND MENTAL ANGUISH SUFFERED BY THE VICTIM AND THE VICTIM`S FAMILY, THE INCIDENT MAY LEAD TO A LOSS OF INCOME FOR THE FAMILY. OVER TIME, MEDICAL EXPENSES FOR TREATMENT MAY DRAIN THE FAMILY`S ASSETS.

IF SOMEONE IS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THEY RECEIVETHE APPROPRIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. SOME DEATHS CAN BE PREVENTED IF THE VICTIMS ARE ATTENDED TO PROMPTLY. LIGHTNING VICTIMS DO NOT CARRY AN ELECTRICAL CHARGE AND ARE SAFE TO HANDLE.

FIRST, HAVE SOMEONE CALL 9-1-1 OR YOUR LOCAL AMBULANCE SERVICE.  CHECK TO SEE THAT THE VICTIM IS BREATHING AND HAS A PULSE, AND CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE VICTIM UNTIL HELP ARRIVES. CARDIAC ARREST IS THE IMMEDIATE CAUSE OF DEATH IN LIGHTNING FATALITIES.  IF NECESSARY, BEGIN CARDIO-PULMONARY RESUSCITATION (CPR) OR USE AN AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR (AED).

ALSO,IF POSSIBLE, MOVE THE VICTIM TO A SAFER PLACE. DON`T LET THE RESCUERS BECOME LIGHTNING VICTIMS. LIGHTNING CAN STRIKE THE SAME PLACE TWICE.

PHYSICALLY, ONLY FEW LIGHTNING STRIKE VICTIMS ACTUALLY SUFFER BURNS. DUE TO THE CONDUCTIVITY OF THE HUMAN BODY, LIGHTNING BURNS ARE USUALLY MINOR, AND MOST LIGHTNING BURNS ARE CAUSED WHEN OBJECTS NEXT TO THE BODY (SUCH AS NECKLACES, RINGS, OR METAL COINS) ARE HEATED BY THE LIGHTNING. IN ADDITION, SWEAT, VAPORIZED BY LIGHTNING, CAN ALSO CAUSE BURNS.

MENTALLY, LIGHTNING STRIKE VICTIMS MAY FACE MANY CHALLENGES THAT THEY`LL HAVE TO LIVE WITH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. WHEN THE BRAIN IS AFFECTED BY A LIGHTNING STRIKE, THE PERSON OFTEN HAS DIFFICULTLY WITH MANY OF THE MENTAL PROCESSES THAT MOST PEOPLE TAKE FOR GRANTED.  THE PERSON MAY SUFFER FROM SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS, AND MAY HAVE DIFFICULTY MENTALLY STORING NEW INFORMATION AND ACCESSING
OLD INFORMATION.  VICTIMS MAY OFTEN FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO CARRY ON MORE THAN ONE TASK AT A TIME, AND MAY BE EASILY DISTRACTED.
THEIR PERSONALITY MAY CHANGE AND THEY MAY BECOME EASILY IRRITATED.
VICTIMS OFTEN COMPLAIN OF BECOMING EASILY FATIGUED AND MAY BECOME EXHAUSTED AFTER ONLY A FEW HOURS WORK. THIS MAY BE BECAUSE MENTAL TASKS THAT WERE ONCE AUTOMATIC MAY NOW REQUIRE INTENSE CONCENTRATION TO ACCOMPLISH.  ALTHOUGH SOME VICTIMS MAY SLEEP EXCESSIVELY AT FIRST, AFTER A FEW WEEKS, MANY FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SLEEP MORE THAN
TWO OR THREE HOURS AT A TIME.

ANOTHER COMMON LONG-TERM PROBLEM FOR SURVIVORS IS PAIN. MEDICALLY, PAIN IS DIFFICULT TO QUANTIFY. LIGHTNING STRIKE VICTIMS OFTEN SUFFER IRREPARABLE NERVE DAMAGE FROM WHICH THEY WILL SUFFER FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.  THE PAIN CAN BE SO INTENSE THAT IT AFFECTS THE PERSON`S ABILITY TO FUNCTION.  MANY SURVIVORS COMPLAIN OF CHRONIC HEADACHES, SOME OF WHICH ARE VERY INTENSE AND DEBILITATING.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT, WHILE MANY LIGHTNING VICTIMS SURVIVE, THEIR LIVES ARE CHANGED FOREVER, AND THEIR DREAMS FOR THE FUTURE AND THOSE OF THEIR FAMILY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

LIGHTNING QUESTION OF THE DAY: WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT A PERSON WILL BE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING DURING HIS OR HER LIFETIME?

ANSWER: BASED ON ESTIMATED CASES OF LIGHTNING DEATHS AND INJURIES, THE NATIONWIDE ODDS OF BEING KILLED OR INJURED BY LIGHTNING ARE ABOUT 1 IN 400,000 FOR EACH YEAR OF YOUR LIFE. ASSUMING A LIFE SPAN OF 80 YEARS, THAT`S LIFETIME ODDS OF MORE THAN 1 IN 5000. KEEP IN MIND, THOUGH, THAT YOUR BEHAVIOR AROUND THUNDERSTORMS WILL DETERMINE
YOUR INDIVIDUAL ODDS.  IF YOU ARE AWARE OF ALL THE THREATS POSED BY LIGHTNING AND ACT ACCORDINGLY, YOUR CHANCES FOR BEING STRUCK BY LIGHTNING WILL BE CONSIDERABLY LOWER. ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF THOSE DANGERS OR DON`T TAKE THE APPROPRIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, YOUR ODDS OF BEING STRUCK BY LIGHTNING WILL BE HIGHER.

RM

RADIOMAN015

JUNE JULY AND AUGUST TYPICALLY HAVE THE MOST LIGHTNING DEATHS...

AS MIGHT BE EXPECTED BECAUSE OF INCREASED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY...THE SUMMER MONTHS HAVE THE HIGHEST RECORDED NUMBER OF DEATHS DUE TO LIGHTNING.  IN A NORMAL YEAR...BASED ON STATISTICS FROM 1980-2009...

THERE ARE 12 DEATHS IN THE UNITED STATES IN BOTH JUNE AND AUGUST WITH 17 DEATHS IN JULY.

AS OF JUNE 20 2010...THERE HAVE ALREADY BEEN 9 PEOPLE KILLED IN THE UNITED STATES THIS YEAR AND WE ARE HEADING INTO THE STATISTICALLY MAXIMUM MONTH...JULY.

ON JUNE 20 IN MEETEESE WYOMING...A 70 YEAR OLD MAN WAS KILLED WHEN WALKING TO AN OPEN HILLTOP TO GET BETTER CELL PHONE RECEPTION.

ON JUNE 15 IN GRAHAM NORTH CAROLINA...A 19 YEAR OLD MAN WAS KILLED SEEKING SHELTER UNDER A TREE AFTER HAVING PLAYED SOCCER. ON THE SAME DAY IN JENNINGS MISSOURI...A 34 YEAR OLD WOMAN WAS KILLED UNDERNEATH A TREE AS SHE WAS DELIVERING MAIL.

ON JUNE 12 IN COLORADO...A MAN WAS KILLED WHEN LIGHTNING STRUCK WHILE HE WAS RIDING A MOTORCYCLE.

ON JUNE 4 IN NORTH CAROLINA...A 25 YEAR OLD WOMAN HIKER WAS KILLED NEAR A MOUNTAIN TOP.

ON MAY 31 IN ST. CLAIRSVILLE OHIO...A 33 YEAR OLD MAN WAS KILLED BY LIGHTNING IN A PRISON RECREATIONAL YARD AS HE WAS HEADED TOWARD THE BUILDING.

ON MAY 30 IN BATON ROUGE LOUISIANA...AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY WENT BACK OUTSIDE AFTER BEING INDOORS AND WAS KILLED.

ON MAY 8 IN BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT...A 29 YEAR OLD WHO HAD BEEN FISHING WAS STRUCK AND KILLED ON A JETTY AS HE WAS HEADED TO SHORE.

ON MAY 1 IN NEW HAVEN INDIANA...AN 18 YEAR OLD MALE WAS KILLED UNDERNEATH A TREE WHERE HE HAD SOUGHT SHELTER FROM THE STORM.

AS YOU CAN SEE... THESE WERE REAL PEOPLE IN REAL SITUATIONS. IN MANY CASES...YOU CAN PREVENT BEING STRUCK BY FOLLOWING BASIC LIGHTNING SAFETY RULES. IF YOU CAN HEAR THUNDER...YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE STRUCK. THE ONLY SAFE PLACE IS INDOORS INSIDE A STURDY BUILDING.
STAY AWAY FROM TREES...FENCES...AND HILLTOPS. AVOID OPEN
FIELDS...BALLPARKS...AND PLAYGROUNDS.  DO NOT SEEK SHELTER IN A DUGOUT OR GAZEBO. IF THERE IS NO BUILDING...THEN TRY TO GET INSIDE A HARD TOPPED AUTOMOBILE OR SCHOOL BUS...BUT NOT AN UNPROTECTED MOTORCYCLE. IF ON THE WATER...GET TO SHORE WHEN BILLOWING CLOUDS ARE SEEN IN THE DISTANCE...THE STORMS CAN ARRIVE QUICKLY.

REMEMBER THESE RULES...
WHEN THUNDER ROARS GO INDOORS.
IF YOU CAN HEAR IT...FEAR IT.
IF YOU CAN SEE IT...FLEE IT.
RM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I think you are over-emphasizing the danger of Lightning. The number of people killed by lightning is statistically nearly irrelevant ( unless it hits you....)

Motor Vehicle accidents      43%
Other transport accidents  17.8%
Falls                                    13.6%
Poisoning                            13%
Drowning                             3.9%
Smoke/fire/flame                  3.4%
Land transport accidents     1.5%
Medical complications           3.1%
Firearms accidents                .8%

The lowest number of incidents is the firearms category, containing 776 incidents, making the probability of being shot about 13.6 times more likely. My recommendation for not being killed by lighting is to not blaspheme while playing golf in the rain. Bees and peanut butter are bigger killers.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2010, 03:16:02 AM
Why are you yelling?
Surely an important aspect of the information  >:( The information was copied from a Amateur Radio Skywarn training message that I received and it was in all capital letters.

Many years ago (before becoming a "know it all" CAP'er ;)) while riding my mountain bike on the local AF Reserve Base, I had my radio scanner on while in a wooded training area about 1 mile from main base.  Heard the weather warning put out "lightening within 5 miles" (which normally means they stop maintenance work on all aircraft and go back to the shops, and also the BX gas station pumps are turned off due to the danger of a strike).

Never pump the pedals on that mountain bike so fast to get back to main base and find some safe cover.  I was very fortunate in that part of the perimeter road area would have had me as the highest point riding the bike. 

Surely, as with any statistics that show a smaller potential of a strike -- IF any of us ignore the safety hints given, we increase the potential of us become THAT strike statistic. :(
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 03, 2010, 07:10:15 PM
Many years ago (before becoming a "know it all" CAP'er ;)) while riding my mountain bike on the local AF Reserve Base, I had my radio scanner on while in a wooded training area about 1 mile from main base.

Of that I have no doubt whatsoever #radionerd

(did you see what I did there, I created a Twitter hashtag in CT, pretty clever, huh?  Yeah, I know...)

"That Others May Zoom"

TCMajor

Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

Rafael

Well if theirs a lightening storm for your safety don't get close to windows because I read a newspaper article that a children was in his school and their was a lightening storm and he was near a window, and a lightening stroke hit him and burned him bringing him to his death.

jb512

1.  When there's a thunderstorm outside, stay inside.

2.  See #1.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on August 02, 2010, 10:10:12 PM
There are no e's in lightning.

Always, raining on the parade, of bad grammers, and spelings.   :P

PHall

Cut him a little slack Dave, English is not his "first language".

JC004

Quote from: PHall on August 03, 2010, 03:02:42 AM

It's in the title.   :o

Major Lord

Hey, remember, you can't spell "Slaughter" without "laughter".

Major Lord

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2010, 03:04:17 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 03, 2010, 03:02:42 AM

It's in the title.   :o
Unfortunately, when I discovered my spelling error I couldn't correct it.   :-[ I really hope that the spelling error, doesn't diminish the safety message.
Today at work we had a fairly severe TStorm and there was a strike fairly close by that resulted in no electrical power from 1500 hrs local onward.
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Lord on August 03, 2010, 02:48:57 PM

Major Lord

Is manslaughter just some guy giggling?

"That Others May Zoom"

Pingree1492

Here's an interesting, relevant story:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=146983&catid=188

For those of you who've never been up on the summit of Long's Peak, the top of the peak is a flat area, a little bit bigger than a football field.  It's covered in pretty good size boulders, but nothing that really offers much over-head protection (the 'summit' is simply the tallest stacked boulder on the field). 

It's not in the story, but has been reported on the local TV news, that it appears as if the lightening first struck the rock he was hunkered by (being the tallest object there), and then traveled by the path of least resistance (his head) to the ground.  So, this appears as if it wasn't a direct strike, which is probably why he's still alive.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Major Lord

Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2010, 12:43:47 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on August 03, 2010, 02:48:57 PM

Major Lord

Is manslaughter just some guy giggling?

Excellent! But remember, you can't spell "Therapist" without "The Rapist"!

Major Lord