Waist pack setup. Would this work as 24 hour setup?

Started by Hawk200, August 19, 2013, 04:14:28 PM

Hawk200

Waist Pack From High Speed Gear

It's been a long time since I had my own 24 hour pack, so I'm looking for some opinions from folks that have them. How many of you think the 24 hour essentials would fit in this? How many think it would work in general usage? Pros? Cons?

It looks fairly low key and low profile, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at it. Just wish I could get it in orange or hi-viz yellow. If it looks like it would work, I may see if I could send them the materials in brighter colors, or maybe get a plain one and try it out for awhile, and then possibly see if they'd make it up with my materials. It doesn't seem to be very expensive.

Eclipse

You might be able to get most of it in there, though it's going to be pretty heavy and concentrated in one spot
without suspenders or similar.

In / out of a vehicle would be an issue, too, since you really can't sit on something like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

Do you wear your 24-hour gear when inside a vehicle? I think you posted some time ago you were using a vest... I am not convinced on using vests, so I  carry a backpack which I have to take off when getting inside vans or cars...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spaceman3750

I wear an AeroSAR vest/harness and I wear it in and out of vehicles for short distances. Doesn't play nice with seatbelts however.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on August 19, 2013, 04:40:21 PM
Eclipse-

Do you wear your 24-hour gear when inside a vehicle? I think you posted some time ago you were using a vest... I am not convinced on using vests, so I  carry a backpack which I have to take off when getting inside vans or cars...

Flyer

Depends on the duty - for house-to-house welling being checks, ELT searches, or damage assessment,  where you're doing a lot of moving in a vehicle, yes. Which is why
a vest or LBV is nice because you won't have much on your back except maybe the hydro.

When I used an E-LBV, I just took off the butt pack.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

I did the waist-pack 24 kit for a time. While I liked being able to quickly swing it around front to dig in and get something, there was one big issue that drove me nuts: they bounce around. A lot. After a while it really was annoying. You could get suspenders for the pack I used, but then that kind of negated the benefit of easy access.

Plus, I've become a huge fan of CamelBak style gear. I found that my CamelBak bladder was too long on my back and got in the way of the waist-pack.

YMMV...

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2013, 04:19:49 PMYou might be able to get most of it in there, though it's going to be pretty heavy and concentrated in one spot without suspenders or similar.
Hadn't thought of that. I'll either skip it, or may try it for the Army.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2013, 04:19:49 PMIn / out of a vehicle would be an issue, too, since you really can't sit on something like this.
This I was wondering about. Figured I'd get an opinion on it.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 19, 2013, 04:14:28 PM
Waist Pack From High Speed Gear

It's been a long time since I had my own 24 hour pack, so I'm looking for some opinions from folks that have them. How many of you think the 24 hour essentials would fit in this? How many think it would work in general usage? Pros? Cons?

It looks fairly low key and low profile, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at it. Just wish I could get it in orange or hi-viz yellow. If it looks like it would work, I may see if I could send them the materials in brighter colors, or maybe get a plain one and try it out for awhile, and then possibly see if they'd make it up with my materials. It doesn't seem to be very expensive.

My first set of 24 hour gear was a pistol belt with ammo pouches. I got really annoyed that when my I hung my arms loose at my sides, or swung them as I walked, I was always hitting pouches. Ditched it and now use a camelbak.

Mela_007

Those of you that mention the vest, what kind do you use for your 24?
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Eclipse

I prefer the SARMED style vest.

I still can't bring myself to cut thread on my modular one, and I might just wind up selling it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

Eclipse

There's a bunch on here, search SARMED or vest.

It's very personal and subjective, fit, cost, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007