Main Menu

What's going on in CAP?

Started by FW, December 23, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

RADIOMAN015

FW wrote:
No, we handle all contracts in house now.  The Air Force hasn't been directly involved since 1994.
CAPR 70-1 specifically prevents members from bidding (conflict of interest or perception there of).
Our ethics reg also mentions this.  We, as volunteers, should not profit from our status; especially when we are on national staff. 

Well, I read the regulation, and it seems to me that for large dollar procurements, it mentions about using established government contracts if at all possible.  I would assume that GSA already has a contract for vehicle fleet purchases -- interestingly we would have gotten it cheaper via a seperate bid

Additionally, is there somewhere on the CAP website that shows what CAP has gone out to bid for and who was awarded the bid, similiar to what the federal government does with all it's bids to maintain transparency with the public and also those vendors that bid?
RM

FW

Wingnut55, thank you for all your service to CAP.  I think that the 2 generations of your family's service is amazing.  It's members like you and your parents which make Civil Air Patrol great.  This is the kind of story which gives me hope. 
And you're correct.  This years purchase of about a million dollars worth of vehicles is not our biggest problem. However, I do think that when combined with the perception of arbitrary and inconsiderate decisions of our leadership, the safety of our aircraft fleet (the investigation I was referring to) and the percieved arrogance of some of our leaders does tend to rise to the level of membership response.  For me it is posting on CT and discussing the issues with those in "my unit" and with those at the next level.  I'm a small voice however, I hope I can do my bit to effect some change for the good.

Spike

Wow.

If FW were any other person, the moderators would have "slapped" him and locked this thread immediately.

You can find multiple instances of members and mods saying "don't dump dirty laundry on here for the world to see".  Lets stop this now.

This is not the place for any of this discussion. 

FW.....you are spreading gossip now.  Dirty gossip.  Just stop.  PERIOD.  .

Speaking of an IG investigation, even with "insider knowledge" here is not right.

If you feel these things are so important to get answers to, use the chain of command like everyone else. 

I applaud you for your service with CAP up to this point, Wing Banker and financial things worked great under you.  However, I must ask, would you have posted this information if you were still a Corporate Officer?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

FW

Actually, Spike.  My posts are no longer gossip.  The commander and executive director (my chain of command) is aware of the situation and things are moving along.
And no, I wouldn't be posting this on CT;  I would have done everything in my power to stop this dead in it's tracks as a voting member.  BTW; the investigation is finished.  The complaint has always been public knowledge.  Only the findings are being witheld (the ROI is the only document which should be kept sealed).  The Board of Governors is aware the findings have not been sent to them.  I think it is a matter of days when that bit of "gossip" is put to rest.  If you don't believe me, why don't you contact the IDWG/CC for information? 
Gee Spike, I guess I'm not you're "favorite Col." any more.   :(

High Speed Low Drag

Spike,

Sorry, have to disagree.  CAP is a public corporation, therefore all things should be public knowledge.  There should be a transparency in all that we do.  If these things are going on, then all need to know about them; I, nor those around me, had no idea about any of these things.  It is only when we have the secret squirrel stuff going on that the public and membership begin to distrust the decisions and actions of those above us.
----
CAP should be willing to disclose the results of all investigations.  Come to think of it, as a public entity, is the CAP not subject to FOI (Freedom of Information) requests and disclosures?
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

fyrfitrmedic

Speaking as one of the lurkers and as a 30-year member, I gotta say that there are a number of things I've seen over the past year within and about CAP that are troubling me.

This just adds to the list.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

flyguy06

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 24, 2009, 02:38:48 PM
Spike,

Sorry, have to disagree.  CAP is a public corporation, therefore all things should be public knowledge.  There should be a transparency in all that we do.  If these things are going on, then all need to know about them; I, nor those around me, had no idea about any of these things.  It is only when we have the secret squirrel stuff going on that the public and membership begin to distrust the decisions and actions of those above us.
----
CAP should be willing to disclose the results of all investigations.  Come to think of it, as a public entity, is the CAP not subject to FOI (Freedom of Information) requests and disclosures?

High Speed,

I agree with you. Just like my fav President says, I totally believe  in transparency in govt. the problem is the medium. Now, when I first read FW's comments I was like Spike. I as a normal member and lurker didn't know who this person is or what he was talking about. So to me it was idle gossip I now know who he is thanks to PMs and I have much respect for him . But before he just came on here throwing out stories. So to those of us that are normal members and not into the "politics" of CAP, what are we to think? We don't know this person from Jack. An to me it was gossip, How did I know this person was valid? Just like I keep my name anonymous so does he. So what credibility does he have with me or others that dont now who he is? Like I said Now I do know and its all good. But in the beginning I wasn't sure and I am sure others felt the same way.

Spike

^ OK.  Tell us what you and FW want us to do about these things.  There is talk about a lot of crap on here, but honestly, what can we do??  I sent letters about the CSU going away, what else can I possibly do? 

If these are such "big" issues, what are all of you going to do about them, instead of speculating on here??

FW....you are still my Favorite Colonel, but what have you done about these issues??  Seriously, other than posting here, what have you done?  Tell me what I need to do to support you to bring transparency to CAP, and I will do it. 

flyguy06

We cant do anything about it. I am just a regular dues paying member. I have no "special" positions (not yet anyway) I just go with it and do what they tell me. I handle CAP within the limits that I can which right now is the unit level. Come January, it iwll be different for me though.

FW

Quote from: Spike on December 24, 2009, 07:16:12 PM
^ OK.  Tell us what you and FW want us to do about these things.  There is talk about a lot of crap on here, but honestly, what can we do??  I sent letters about the CSU going away, what else can I possibly do? 

If these are such "big" issues, what are all of you going to do about them, instead of speculating on here??

FW....you are still my Favorite Colonel, but what have you done about these issues??  Seriously, other than posting here, what have you done?  Tell me what I need to do to support you to bring transparency to CAP, and I will do it. 

Spike, making public an apparent cover up is the first thing we can do as members.  That has been done.
The second thing we can do as members is insist that our Core Values and Regulations be followed by everyone; not just the rank and file.
The third thing we can do is insist our wing commanders lead accordingly.  We must learn all about our traditions, values, rules and policies.  Knowledge is the weapon that gives us strength.
We must follow the "orders and directions" of our leaders however, those orders and directions must be in line with our Constitution and Bylaws; our regulations and our policies.  We are not lemmings and we are not pawns to be shuffled about while we try to perform our missions and pay our annual dues and other expenses. 
As a cadet, I was taught in "Leadership Lab" (CAPM 50-1 for you old folks) how to follow.  Later in life, I was taught how to lead.  We all must learn to do both.  For CAP to thrive, IMHO, every active member must learn to how to thrive and have some fun while volunteering for duty.  "Semper Viligens" should mean something to every member.  Always be aware, never be afraid to point out wrongs to your leaders and, use the chain to make sure everyone is "in the loop". 

I have done all the above.  I can't be 100% certain however, 99% sure the **** I brought up will be taken care of by the winter NB meeting.  Every CT poster has already done their part with the uniform issue.  As far as the other "stuff" Let's see what the BoG does.  The vehicle contract has, unfortunately, already been awarded and the vehicles have been bought.  There is nothing now to do except see what will happen to the members involved in the "conflict".  BTW, I understand the member earned $9600 for his work.  I just hope the other bidders don't find out about this.  Could mean extra work for out corporate staff at Maxwell....

And, Spike, I'm happy I'm still your favorite Col.    :-*

cap235629

So that is why we replaced a 4 wheel drive SUV with a Dodge Caravan.......

Makes sense now!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé