cadet gets arrested for inciting 911 call about downed airplane

Started by RiverAux, September 25, 2009, 01:04:47 AM

RiverAux

See http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/student-86911-airplane-downed.html

Summary:  Group of kids standing around Yuba City.  One thinks he sees a plane crash.  Another one says, "It did, I just got called out by the Civil Air Patrol" and leaves.  The 1st boy then calls 911.  Cops investigate and arrest kid#2 for inciting the 1st one to make the false report.  Cops say he was arrested not just because of the false report but because of the "significant resources" that were spent responding (4 cop cars and 2 fire trucks looking around for a half hour). 

Though the story doesn't say the arrested one was a cadet, I think we can assume he was or he wouldn't have made a statement about being called out by them.  But, this assumption is based on a media report, so take it for what it may be worth. 

MikeD

The CyBorg is destroyed

If he was a cadet, I think there should be a Form 2B in his future.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: CyBorg on September 25, 2009, 02:18:02 AM
I wouldn't doubt it. I think the "So called" Cadet just said that to get attention from his friends, it's not a cool thing to joke about.

A Termination of Membership in my opinion is most likely the best option.

Wright Brothers #13915

USADOD

Quote from: Lunsford on September 25, 2009, 02:24:45 AM
I wouldn't doubt it. I think the "So called" Cadet just said that to get attention from his friends, it's not a cool thing to joke about.

Although, a serious offense on behalf of the "assumed cadet". I do not believe a termination would be the correct option, however a extensive counsel session with his squadron commander and/or group and wing commander should be the course of action.  2B would be a severe consequence and do the exact opposite of what the CAP Cadet Program is trying to display and instill within youth.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: USADOD on September 25, 2009, 02:57:28 AM
Quote from: Lunsford on September 25, 2009, 02:24:45 AM

Although, a serious offense on behalf of the "assumed cadet". I do not believe a termination would be the correct option, however a extensive counsel session with his squadron commander and/or group and wing commander should be the course of action.  2B would be a severe consequence and do the exact opposite of what the CAP Cadet Program is trying to display and instill within youth.

Although I understand were you are coming from, I think it is petty to say a plane is about to crash just so your friends think your cool. A plane crash is a serious thing if a Plane were to crash I would be on sight with the blink of the eye, I really don't care if my friends think it is cool. It is my job to look for that crash site and make sure the victims of that plane crash are ok, if they are not, then call 9-1-1 if they are not already on site.

Wright Brothers #13915

NCRblues

Actually as a cadet you are not allowed to approach a crash site, also as a young sm, I can still remember being a "kid" and wanting my friends to like that I liked, and I said some things that were not true about cap to make it look neat. If you claim you have never done this than you lie. What this cadet did was unbelievable, but I do not think it is worth 2b over. This cadet needs a sit down with the squadron commander, mom and dad, and maybe the school resource/dare officer for a little "come to (enter your version of the messiah)" talk.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

flyguy06

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

One thing that is interesting is how the kid involved claimed to have gotten called out by CAP. I am assuming that this incident occurred on a school day, which would lead me to believe that said "cadet" would not get called from school.

I would like to ask other SM's out there if you had an incident during school hours, would you call out any cadets to assist?
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

NCRblues

The day after Katrina, my group at the time was asked by fema and the air force to turn 2 connected 747 hangers at Boeing into shelters for evacuees. The squadron commanders called parents and asked if they would allow their child to miss school, most agreed and even some schools gave extra credit to some cadets if they wrote papers about their experience with disaster relief. Now, let's say for a plane crash, even a commercial liner, the affected area would be small and fire/ems/police/feds would be all over it in minutes, so no would not "call" out cadets for something like this.

Short Field

2B??  And they complain about the "one mistake" Air Force... 

Yes, this is not a trivial matter but there are a lot of factors that need to be considered.  Age of cadet, what was really said between the kids, past performance history of the cadet, what the cadet thought would happen, the cadet's intention.   Yes, it was a goof up but these are still kids.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

Quote from: Short Field on September 25, 2009, 06:41:19 AM
2B??  And they complain about the "one mistake" Air Force... 

Yes, this is not a trivial matter but there are a lot of factors that need to be considered.  Age of cadet, what was really said between the kids, past performance history of the cadet, what the cadet thought would happen, the cadet's intention.   Yes, it was a goof up but these are still kids.

Yes....but that would mean we would have to actually deal with problems and mentor our cadets.  It is so much easier to just say "well he was a bad apple" and throw him to the wolves.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPPAO

The youth, if indeed he is a CAP member, just needs to talk to a CAP CISM Team member. And that is done privately, definitely not with his squadron commander or parents.

desertengineer1

This news story has me a little concerned.  If either cadet truly believed there was an emergency, arresting them was way out of line. 

So the kid might have been a bit overzealous.  It happens.  But there isn't much in the article to make the case the kid concretely knew there was no emergency, knew it was wrong to "incite" someone to call 911, and so forth.

Arresting the kid for it is pretty lame.  A solid day of "counseling" from police down to parents - absolutely. 

But the knowledge that 911 callers will be arrested if what you think was an emergency really wasnt is BAD.  People could hesitate to call 911 in real emergency situations.

Punative or retalitory actions against people reporting safety concerns follows the same line.  You deal with the report.  Council in private.

NCRblues

cism...why? was he traumatized by the fake plane crash? i dont think that would help a 15 year old that lied to a fellow teen. He was just trying to make himself look cool in from of his peers. He needs a talking to, to let him know that cap is not to be used to impress friends

Gunner C

Quote from: NCRblues on September 25, 2009, 12:15:04 PM
cism...why? was he traumatized by the fake plane crash? i dont think that would help a 15 year old that lied to a fellow teen. He was just trying to make himself look cool in from of his peers. He needs a talking to, to let him know that cap is not to be used to impress friends

I wouldn't let a CISM talk to one of my kids.

NC Hokie

Quote from: desertengineer1 on September 25, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
This news story has me a little concerned.  If either cadet truly believed there was an emergency, arresting them was way out of line. 

So the kid might have been a bit overzealous.  It happens.  But there isn't much in the article to make the case the kid concretely knew there was no emergency, knew it was wrong to "incite" someone to call 911, and so forth.

One of the comments after the article (which may or may not be accurate) indicated that a plane made an emergency landing in the area around the time this happened.  If these kids saw or were aware of this, it supports the idea that one or both of them truly believed that there was an emergency.

Quote from: desertengineer1 on September 25, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
Arresting the kid for it is pretty lame.  A solid day of "counseling" from police down to parents - absolutely. 

But the knowledge that 911 callers will be arrested if what you think was an emergency really wasnt is BAD.  People could hesitate to call 911 in real emergency situations.

Punative or retalitory actions against people reporting safety concerns follows the same line.  You deal with the report.  Council in private.

I'm more concerned that the second boy was arrested for "inciting" the actions of the first boy, who appears to have suffered no consequences for making the actual call.  This is a really bad precedent that further undermines the concept of being responsible for one's own actions.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

wuzafuzz

Sometimes smart kids do dumb things.  A few kids standing around talking trash or competing to see who is the coolest shouldn't rise to a crime.  So this kid was arrested, that doesn't mean a DA has to prosecute.  One heck of a talking to about honesty and a healthy dose of parentally administered "house arrest" is in order, but an arrest?  Kick him out of CAP (assuming he is a member)?  Come on.  I'd wager this kid will be really good from now on.

The only caveat, if the kid is a known trouble maker who just isn't getting the hint, then perhaps more aggressive action is called for.

A few thoughts:
Honestly, is this that much worse than the kids that start rumors about a fight after school or how we will all meet our doom in 2012? 

Did the kid encourage anyone else to call 911?  Did he reasonably CAUSE the report to be made?  Or are we stretching it a little here?

Why call 911 if the accident was supposedly already reported and CAP was called out?  What's the point?

Is it reasonable to hold kid #2 (the 15 yr old) accountable for kid #3 (the 911 caller) taking action that doesn't quite make sense under the circumstances? 

Kid #1 (thought he saw it) started all this and there is no mention of his arrest.

Sounds to me like everyone involved needs to take a deep breath and chill out.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

heliodoc

Agree with wuzafuzz

CAP talk forums have no place for outhouse lawyers and wannabe LE types or even wannabe CAP Sqdn CC's with"2B powers."

CAP cadets are still kids and some need more attention than others.  Granted the LE community, school psychs, teachers, and God forbid, the parents ought to be involved to get this kid back on track

Gotta watch out for the CAP court of justice on this wesbsite ::) ::) ::) >:D >:D >:D >:D

RiverAux

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 25, 2009, 05:54:14 AM
Can you post the actual article?
No, that would probably violate copywrite laws.  Click on the link I provided in the first post.