Too Much CAP Activities on Memorial Day

Started by jpizzo127, May 07, 2009, 03:44:00 PM

jpizzo127

If your wing is anything like mine, many events are stacked into the memorial day weekend instead of stretching them out over the summer.

Why is this?

This limits CAP participation.

For example, in my group, we have an Airshow, a graveside memorial, a SARCOMP and I think 1 other event all on May 23 and 24th.

Obviously, we cannot move the airshow and the graveside, by we could have done the SARCOMP on another weekend.

It's frustrating because I know come June, July and August, we'll have very limited activity.

My squadron would like to be in all these events but because of scheduling, we have to pick just 1.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

Gunner C

I understand your frustration.  Scheduling is one of the most difficult things when you're planning events.  One of the problems is we don't coordinate calendars very well within wings, sometimes within squadrons.  I've found that you have to pick and choose sometimes.  But, another way to look at it is that you have a VERY active unit.  There are those who won't be doing anything for weeks on end.  Having so much to choose from can be a blessing.

swamprat86

Don't forget the NER Cadet Drill Comp that same weekend. 

Spike

Quote from: swamprat86 on May 07, 2009, 04:07:20 PM

Why??  That is stupid.  How is having a Drill Comp doing what Memorial Day is all about. Save the Drill Comp for Martin Luther King Day or Labor Day, or even Arbor Day

DBlair

Quote from: Spike on May 07, 2009, 05:18:07 PM
Quote from: swamprat86 on May 07, 2009, 04:07:20 PM

Why??  That is stupid.  How is having a Drill Comp doing what Memorial Day is all about. Save the Drill Comp for Martin Luther King Day or Labor Day, or even Arbor Day

If I remember correctly from my time on NJ's DT, it was formerly held on Labor Day at Newport NAS, Rhode Island. I'm curious as to why they would move it up to Memorial Day as this would cut out a lot of available training time over the summer, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

swamprat86

The national drill comp is in July I believe so the regions need to have their representative teams choosen before that.  NER has had it on this weekend for the past few years I believe, same for the NER SARComp.  It was during the same weekend last year.

I am not a fan of using a big holiday weekend for CAP.  Smaller holidays like MLK, President's Day, etc is OK.  Most families don't make big plans for those weekends but Memorial Day, the 4th and Labor Day should be reserved for the families.

notaNCO forever

NER is have the drill comp and SAR comp on memorial day weekend at the same place along with the NER CAC meeting.

BTCS1*

And don't forget that it is also Fleet Week in NYC... Which myself and a few other cadets will (most likely) be attending. But we are split between that and the airshow.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

flyguy06

On Memorial weekend, I will be in Tuskeegee, AL at Moton Field. The Tuskegee Airmen association will be having a fly in and I have been going for the last ten years whenever I can