Whats in yourrrrrrrr file cabinet???????

Started by flyguy06, May 01, 2009, 10:40:52 PM

flyguy06

Hey all,

I am, looking for ideas of what forms are good for keeping in the Squadron file cabinet. Before anyone goes off on me, I realize that all the forms needed are online. My unit does not not have online access or a printer.

What we do have are four big file cabinets with peronnel files of current and former members  that havent been around for twenty years.and forms that date back to 1986. I believe we need an upgrade. We need to get rid of a lot of that stuff or store it as per regs.

So, what files should we store in our file cabinets? Form 17's, 31's, 15's come to mind because those are foms that we use a lot. But what else? Form 45b's? I am looking for ideas of what others do. Thank you.

SJFedor

Honestly, if you can do it, put maybe 3 copies of every form in there. Lots more for the ones you always use, but you never know when you'll get the urge to do a F173-2C (yes it exists)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

It doesn't sound like space is limiting, so if you've already got the forms and the ones you have are still the correct version, I'd go ahead and keep them.

If you've got that much old stuff, you may want to consult the Wing historian before tossing out anything.  They may want to look through it to see if there is anything of interest.  For example, there may be documentation relating to Medals of Valor or other significant awards in the personnel files, or other things of interest.

IceNine

In addition to the above I'd recommend

CAPF 52-(1-4)
CAPF 50-(1-4)
CAPF 53 and fingerprint cards (because you have to order them)
And Certificates as necessary (first flight, Wright brothers, etc) 

And anything else you can only get by ordering them.  Order the max you can get, and forget it for 6 months.

Everything else I would just update on the unit or personal PC's and have a printer available. 

You should get in the habit of typing EVERYTHING and get away from hand writing.

There is also a .zip file available for forms, pamphlets, regs, etc.  Which makes it very easy to keep up to date, and removes the need for paper files.

I personally would remove 2 of those cabinets, and use only one for paper, the other would be good for storage of items needing some security.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cecil DP

You only have to keep obsolete personnel files for 5 years. If you can, contact the members whose records are going to be deleted and ask them if they want them. If space is limited ask nonrenewing members if they want their records, than ask them to sign a receipt for them (saves holding on for the five years). If you have a historian Sq, Group, Wing), ask him to review the old records for historical information.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

EMT-83

I think that the most obvious solution would be to buy a printer. It's almost impossible to keep current with the constant changes from NHQ. I update our publication library on a monthly basis, and can't imagine doing that on paper.

I gather from your post that you have a PC but no printer. Spending a hundred bucks on a printer will save you an enormous amount of time and effort.

flyguy06

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you quote to me where it sayd we keep files up to 5 years. I know I will have to fight that battle with a SM in my unit who thinks we are supposed to keep them forever.

A lot of our former members we have lost contact with. DOnt have good contact info on them.

ANd no we dont have a PC and I cant afford to purchase one myself.

Cecil DP

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 02, 2009, 02:41:36 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you quote to me where it sayd we keep files up to 5 years. I know I will have to fight that battle with a SM in my unit who thinks we are supposed to keep them forever.

A lot of our former members we have lost contact with. DOnt have good contact info on them.

National was supposed to have or been in the process of providing a PC to every chartered unit. I don't know if they're still doing it or if the program was scrapped. I don't have a set of regs, but you can check the CAP website on line for the referernce.  CAPP 200 should have it.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

And no we don't have a PC and I cant afford to purchase one myself.

Unless you just got your Squadron Charter between Aug 2006 and now (and you may have), you should have at least one laptop and one printer provided by NHQ at their expense.  You may need to locate it.

flyguy06

I am sure the Commander has it, but since we meet in a room inthe basement of a church and don thave our own facilities, even if we had it, we dont have access to the internet in the basement of the church.

SarDragon

CAPR 10-2 is your friend here. I would also suggest looking through Indexes 0-2 and 0-9 to see exactly what's available in the way of CAP Regulations, Manuals, Pamphlets and Visual Aids, and CAP Forms, Test Material, and Certificates.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

For those who have computers I would periodically download the entire selection of Regs, Manuals's and pamphlets for the squadron use. I would also encourage all members to download those items applicable to their position(s) in the squadron. If you use rewritable discs you can even update and replace items as required.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

IceNine

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 02, 2009, 03:36:45 AM
I am sure the Commander has it, but since we meet in a room in the basement of a church and don thave our own facilities, even if we had it, we don't have access to the internet in the basement of the church.

Which is exactly why I referenced the .zip files located on the NHQ website. 

Take the laptop home once a month, download the new files, and take the laptop back to the unit.  Done.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

NIN

Couple things:

1) Personnel records. Off the top of my head, CAPR 39-2 is where you find information about personnel records, and more importantly, the retention period for those records.  (Just wanted to confirm: yep, CAPR 39-2, para 1-8.  Its also found in CAPR 10-2, Table 11, and I wanted to make sure each jibed with the other). I came up with a squadron form that gets stapled to any bit of paperwork that's cut off (ie. removed from the files for annual, semi-annual or whatever other purpose and stored) and eventually gets destroyed. 

We have a file drawer full of personnel jackets (just the CAPF 66 or 45 with the supporting documentation inside, not the classification folder.. them are expensive!), stapled shut to keep the contents in, with that sq form stapled in the corner and arranged, per the file plan, with the oldest records in the front.  About 2x per year, right after our new cadets are inprocessed, the Personnel Officer cuts off inactive records from the active files, strips off the nice manila classification folder for use with a new cadet or senior, secures the jacket & fills out/staples the form onto the jacket, and then files them into the back. At that same time, she grabs the "next series" of cutoff files that meet the date criteria printed on them from the front of the drawer and hands them to the DCC, who has an industrial shredder at home.  Done.

2) We don't have internet access at my armory, either.  So we have to bring any data files in either on the laptop or via a memory stick.  If the CO has the squadron laptop, and its not being used for squadron business and brought to squadron meetings, and in particular to keep the squadron's stuff "running" every week, there is another issue.

3) Per the CAPR 5-4, your admin officer is supposed to inventory pubs something like 2 x per year (usually when the new indicies come out, in April & October, I believe) and order sufficient quantities.  This requires someone to use their brain. If you're issuing 3 101 cards per year, don't order 100 this time around and 75 next time.   Some forms are locally reproduceable, and you should do that. Keep a couple on hand, stick a sticky not on one that says "Last form, make a copy. Don't take this one!" and drive on. Only order from NHQ those forms you cannot easily reproduce (CAPF 66, 45, 101, 53, etc) and certificates.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

flyguy06

Thanks NIN. yes. We have an admin officer assigned to us but he hasnt been to a meeting in over a year. So I have written him off. Yeah, I wish the Commander would bring his computer in but he doesnt and that not really in my lane.

So, as far as personnel files We should have their initial membership app, any awards, apps for PD courses and copies of certificates from PD courses. Anything else?

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 03, 2009, 02:21:51 AM
Yeah, I wish the Commander would bring his computer in but he doesn't and that not really in my lane.

Got to say it is in your lane.  The Laptop's were specifically meant for Squadron Use, NOT a Commanders personal laptop at home.  It also came with Office 2003. 

Ask him for it since you are now doing ADMIN work.  If he refuses, ask him to bring it with him to meetings so you can at least get work done during the meeting.  If he still refuses, it is now a case of Fraud, Waste and/ or Abuse.....get the IG involved.

This is one of the things that was not supposed to happen when all Squadrons got a printer, laptop and software.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Spike on May 03, 2009, 03:00:53 AM
Yeah, I wish the Commander would bring his computer in but he doesn't and that not really in my lane.

Got to say it is in your lane.  The Laptop's were specifically meant for Squadron Use, NOT a Commanders personal laptop at home.  It also came with Office 2003. 

Ask him for it since you are now doing ADMIN work.  If he refuses, ask him to bring it with him to meetings so you can at least get work done during the meeting.  If he still refuses, it is now a case of Fraud, Waste and/ or Abuse.....get the IG involved.

This is one of the things that was not supposed to happen when all Squadrons got a printer, laptop and software.

Hmmm... Question. I was wondering. Are we allow to bring our own comps to meetings?

Wright Brothers #13915

BlackKnight

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 02, 2009, 03:36:45 AM
I am sure the Commander has it, but since we meet in a room inthe basement of a church and don thave our own facilities, even if we had it, we dont have access to the internet in the basement of the church.
Flyguy,
Find someone in your unit who comes to most meetings and has an internet air card (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T offer them).  The air card will provide instant wireless internet access almost anywhere your squadron meets or travels. We have DSL at my squadron, but I always bring my usb air card to squadron meetings just in case some public works bubba has accidently cut our phone line earlier during the work day. 

And get your commander to bring the laptop in for each meeting and activity, or arrange to store it at the church where his staff (you) can use it.  That machine is FOUO.  Anything else is waste/fraud- and he knows it. ;)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

DC

Quote from: Lunsford on May 03, 2009, 03:16:00 AM

Hmmm... Question. I was wondering. Are we allow to bring our own comps to meetings?
Most of the people in my squadron do, including me. I don't always use it, but I usually have it with me.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: DC on May 03, 2009, 04:54:29 AM
Quote from: Lunsford on May 03, 2009, 03:16:00 AM

Most of the people in my squadron do, including me. I don't always use it, but I usually have it with me.

Ok. I was just wondering. I didn't want to show up to a meeting with a laptop and everyone stare at me wondering why I have it.

Wright Brothers #13915