What's Best Units Meeting on Military Installations or Local Airports?

Started by RADIOMAN015, April 13, 2009, 11:03:12 PM

RADIOMAN015

I've been pondering  ??? the question above.  In our wing we have units that are on military installations as well as those that meet at the local small civilian airport.

For those us being on a military installation, it's free rent & free utilities, but there's restrictions on what you can do on the building (e.g. you can't put up any radio antennas without coordination & the base actual putting it up).   You are also protected from potential problems when training due to the heavy security presence.  Also in many cases prospective members have a difficult time even getting in to see you, in that security may require them to park their vehicle at the gate & than a squadron member with CAP van or personal vehicle has to pick the prospective member up.   Additionally it appears to me that members (and the unit has a whole) identify more with the military & are somewhat isolated from the civilian community.  We tend to lose the CIVIL portion of the Air Patrol.

In contrast, units that are at municipal or private airports, in my opinion, seem to be better intergrated in the community as a whole as CIVIL Air Patrol, including getting good PR/newpaper coverage but also have the hurdle of potentially paying for their facility (utilities) and maybe even some rent.  Are also afford less protection from societies' ills.   HOWEVER, I think that this is the better model for CAP than the military base occupancy.

Comments?
RM 

MIKE

From a Cadet Programs perspective, military facilities by far... but more along the lines of Reserve Centers and National Guard Armories... Less hassle than an Air Base.  I'd go for a school or a community building that has an indoor basketball court before a small FBO at a rural airfield where you may or may not have some space that is actually yours.  Not that being able to do Squadron in a Box is a bad thing even at an armory.

BTDT.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Of course it all depends on the set up. 

We meet at a municipal airport where we have been given our own bulding...a nice one at that.

I met at Davison Army Air Field which is separate but a part of Ft. Belvoir.  We had 24/7 access to our shared building with little hassle, if any, getting on base. The Army gave us a nice size storage room and a two-in-one office; landline, elecricity, etc.

Then there was Wing Hq on Bolling AFB, where I would visit weekly during their work night.  No problem pre 9/11, but afterwards, it was hell.  I actually stopped going and mailed paperwork.  Attendance was cut in half.  Only people that went were those with military I'd (guard, reserve, AD, dependent, civilian DoD or retired military).  The hassles went on for years and could still be a major issue today.  I don't know.

Ideally, in a perfect world, I'd say a military base would be best, or reserve center/armory being a close second.
Serving since 1987.

USADOD

We use a airport for our meeting location. I would guess it depends on the major element of your squadron. Aerospace & ES oriented squadron would probably prefer a Airport. Squadron with a cadet program focus I would assume a military installation or base due to the environment and atmosphere it creates.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

PA Guy

I don't think it is an either or situation.  I have been a member of units in both situations.  They both had their pluses and minuses.  The airport was great for getting close to something with wings on it.  The base was great for the free rent and phone.  It just depends on what kind of deal you can cut.

Johnny Yuma

It all depends on the relationship and support from the host, period.

I know of 2 units in KSWG who were effectively locked out of their unit HQ's for weeks after 9/11.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RiverAux

Any place that is giving you free space, utilities, etc. is better than anyplace that costs you money.  However, I just can't see how meeting on a base is really a feasible model anymore unless you're willing to basically restrict your members to those who live or work on the base and have easy access.