Custom and Courtesies Regs

Started by jpizzo127, March 25, 2009, 06:57:38 PM

jpizzo127

Where can the regs be found for customs and courtesies.

Sorry to sound like a complete noob.

If it's any consolation, I certainly know the uniform regs are CAPR 39-1

I found a pamphlet on C&C but it seemed to mostly apply to visiting dignitaries, etc.

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

DG

jimmydeanno

You must have been looking at CAPP 3 - Guide to Civil Air Patrol Protocol.

CAPP 151 is the Customs and Courtesies Pamphlet, although I don't think it's very good.

There is a new draft version of CAPP 151, called Respect on Display that I think does a pretty good job of clarifying many of the issues new members have.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jpizzo127

DC

Quote from: jpizzo127 on March 25, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
Where can the regs be found for customs and courtesies.

Sorry to sound like a complete noob.
I would highly encourage you to read Respect on Display, it is excellent.

stratoflyer

Whoa..  :o

Respect on display is great!!

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: stratoflyer on March 26, 2009, 05:59:12 AM
Whoa..  :o

Respect on display is great!!

I saved to my training material and intend to use it for our new personnel.   :clap:

notaNCO forever

Although I don't like the way it looks; it is probably much better for new cadets and seniors.

cap235629

And I noticed that some of our fellow members will be happy to see that the white/gray uniform has been eliminated.....at least in the Respect on Display pamphlet......  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ßτε

Quote from: cap235629 on March 26, 2009, 01:34:45 PM
And I noticed that some of our fellow members will be happy to see that the white/gray uniform has been eliminated.....at least in the Respect on Display pamphlet......  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

How so? Page 13 clearly shows one.

cap235629

sorry, missed that one, but nowhere else, no instructions on customs and courtesies in this uniform though
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

jimmydeanno

That's because earlier in the pamphlet it says that all the C&C are practiced in all the uniforms with exception of the polo and blazer...

QuoteSenior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is optional, but is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jpizzo127

Good News, Bad News.

Last night, I unveiled this big squadron Customs/Courtesies, Uniform Push.

It was overwhelmingly well received by the squadron! (Remember, this is an all senior squadron)

I had only 1 complaint, and positive comments from 6 members after the meeting.

The seniors were very enthusiastic and began trying to get into the habit of referring to each other by rank and last name.

There were some chuckles as mistakes were made, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well they all did, but more importantly, how pleased they all were with the change.

I cannot guarantee everyone was thrilled, but out of a meeting with almost 30 people in the room, I saw only 2 who were unhappy with the decision.

Those who were pleased with the change asked why I had not implemented this sooner. I guess I underestimated my guys.

Meanwhile:

A question came up. When in the CAP uniform (White aviator shirt, with epaulets, ribbons, etc, gray pants) does one stand at attention at the pledge of allegiance or place the hand over the heart?

There was some debate about this. I contend that this uniform is a Military Style and therefore, no hand over the heart. Others said this is a CAP distinctive and is therefore a civilian dress, requiring hand over the heart.

Please advise.

PS: I think the best thing I've ever done for this squadron was start implementing the things I've learned here. Thanks to all.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jpizzo127 on March 27, 2009, 03:25:38 PM
A question came up. When in the CAP uniform (White aviator shirt, with epaulets, ribbons, etc, gray pants) does one stand at attention at the pledge of allegiance or place the hand over the heart?

Yes, stand at attention.  This is something that I REALLY like about the 'draft' 151, the clarification.  Everyone doing the same thing unless they're wearing the polo or blazer.

Congratulations on the renewed enthusiasm for professionalism and the culture of CAP.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The pamphlet excludes only blazer and polo.

I think an important thought here is what whould John Q Public think.
3 CAP members 1 in AF Blues, 1 in Gray/White, 1 in Blue/White.
2 at attention, 1 (gray) with hand over heart, looks strange phrased that way ;D

Chicago_Pilot

As a new Senior Member, I found the Respect on Display document very helpful.  I was very happy to see the section at the back where they talk about how to address cadets.  I'm going to be helping out at an encampment.  I wasn't sure how to address Cadets: "Cadet Captain Curry", "Cadet Curry", "Cadet", "Captain Curry", etc....

It makes more sense now!

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on March 27, 2009, 04:26:52 PM
As a new Senior Member, I found the Respect on Display document very helpful.  I was very happy to see the section at the back where they talk about how to address cadets.  I'm going to be helping out at an encampment.  I wasn't sure how to address Cadets: "Cadet Captain Curry", "Cadet Curry", "Cadet", "Captain Curry", etc....

It makes more sense now!

I would generally try not to address the cadets as just "cadet" because, for whatever I don't understand, most cadets think of that as a derogatory term.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCO forever on March 27, 2009, 05:09:58 PM
I would generally try not to address the cadets as just "cadet" because, for whatever I don't understand, most cadets think of that as a derogatory term.

I suppose that would depend on the context and tone the term is used in.  All of our seniors refer to cadets as "cadet." 

"Cadet Jones, how are you?"
"Cadet Peterson, could you come here please?"
"As Cadet Curry pointed out..."

When taken to the "What do you think you are doing....CADET" level, the insinuation is that it IS meant as a derogatory remark.

Even AFROTC uses this model.  The ASIs refer to all the cadets as "Cadet" and they speak to each other using the term "Cadet."

Long story short, our 40+ cadets don't have any problem with us referring to them as such.  It only becomes a big deal when people make it one, IME.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 27, 2009, 05:15:59 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on March 27, 2009, 05:09:58 PM

I suppose that would depend on the context and tone the term is used in.  All of our seniors refer to cadets as "cadet." 

"Cadet Jones, how are you?"
"Cadet Peterson, could you come here please?"
"As Cadet Curry pointed out..."

When taken to the "What do you think you are doing....CADET" level, the insinuation is that it IS meant as a derogatory remark.

Even AFROTC uses this model.  The ASIs refer to all the cadets as "Cadet" and they speak to each other using the term "Cadet."

Long story short, our 40+ cadets don't have any problem with us referring to them as such.  It only becomes a big deal when people make it one, IME.

I don't have a problem with it, but I have met many cadets that do no matter what the tone. Maybe it's just a localized issue were I am from. It might just be all in my head; the voices could be lying to me.

Senior

... the voices in my head :clap: You were joking.  Right?   ;) :D ;D

I refer to my cadet sergeants and officers as Sgt. Smith or Lt. Smith.  I don't usually add cadet.   I do say "cadet" in a slightly raised voice when I am trying to convey a point that isn't up for interpretation from a cadet.  I don't use it in a derogatory way.  I also say "cadet" when a cadet thinks that a command or an order was a question.  I have only done this when a senior cadet should have taken charge, and once when it was a safety issue.
I would refer to a brand new cadet as "cadet" it helps them to learn their
position in the unit.